• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Boat/Trolling ???'s

prov1900

I have a 1900 ProV (hence the name) with a 225 Optimax. I had the boat wired for a kicker, but the better half talked me out of getting the kicker and she opted for the bigger fishfinder. Do any of you guys troll with the big motor? On GPS, if I remember right, my lowest speed is @ 2.8 mph...and that is somewhat of a struggle. I am not the worlds smartest/experienced troller, but am getting interested. Do you guys have any tips on how to get the slower speeds, or do I just need to win the powerball tonight and get a kicker? Any help/ideas would be appreciated. By the way, if I win the powerball tonight, party is at my house starting tomorrow morning. grin.gif

I troll a lot but almost never with my 175 hp -- like way less than 1% of the time. 4-stroke kicker for me. Spring and fall a lot of my trolling is from 1.6 to 2.3 mph, in the summer I'll get up to 3.5 mph.

Good luck with the powerball. And hey buddy, don't forget your friends grin.gif

I've never used one before, but I wonder if a drift sock would work in your situation??? Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

If you can't get a kicker try to see if you can install a SmartCraft system from Mercury, being you have an Opti the system will help lowering idle speed to help with trolling.

It is NOT a cheap option, but might be cheaper than a new small motor.

Rig up two drift bags that hang under the boat from the forward cleats. You can see a photo of this and an explanation of how to rig it up at Wavetamers site, look for Al's picture and click on Twin Trolling.

Good Luck.

I troll alot on the big pond with my merc 175 EFI, If I want it a little slower I throw out a five gallon pail, it,s alot cheaper than a kicker. Put for safety issues I would love to have a second moter.. Strat

A couple of things you can do.

1) There is what's called a "trolling plate" that bolts on to your big motor and is in the down position when trolling and you put it in the up position when to want to run somewhere. They work OK

2) The better suggestion is to get yourself 2 drift socks and attach them to the front cleats. That way you can regulate whether you need 1 or 2 socks out to slow you down. I have 2 for my Lund Tyee 5.5 but I don't use them to slow me down as I have a 9.9 kicker. I use them for boat control when trolling or drifting. The windshield on the boat acts as a big sail and the socks will bring it back under control.

If you are dead against buying a kicker, I would buy a trolling plate. You can get a "Happy Troller" for about $100.

There are a few drawbacks to a trolling plate. Usually it's harder to steer (especially trolling into the wind). Some people drill holes in the plate to help with this. It is also easy to forget to lift it before taking off which can be ugly!

I like having a kicker for two reasons. 1. I can troll all day long for about $6 in gas compared to about $20. 2. I like them for safety. If your main motor goes, you always have a back up.

Rost, very good reason for having a kicker.

2. I like them for safety. If your main motor goes, you always have a back up.

I was fishing Lake Michigan once and was about 4 miles North of the breakwater entrance and 5 miles out when my main motor ran out of gas. What to do start the kicker and take a leisurly trip in.

First thing I did when I got back in was to rig my kicker gas line (it runs off a seperate gas tank) so it fits both the kicker and main motor. That way if I ever run out of gas on the main motor again I just need to switch to the kicker tank and I'll be able to motor in under a lot more power then just the kicker.

Thank you all once again for the great info. This website is much better than reading any of the 6 magazines I get every month. I learn a ton from this. The mags any more are for the pictures as I find myself not even reading the articles. I will try my drift bags for certain or break down for the kicker. I didnt win the powerball but Sat. looks good for me grin.gif

The trolling plate works well but I would not overlook going to just a large trolling motor as well. MinnKota ones like the Vectors cost you around 400-500 bucks. Would be a cheaper alternative than a kicker and work better than the socks or plate.

I like the idea of going to an electric stern mount for trolling, does anyone have any thoughts on power, performance, battery life, etc. for trolling. I have a 36 Volt system for my Maxxum bow mount right now. Still cant talk the better half out of 2 g's for a new kicker.

• 1 month later...

Sitting here scracthing my head and trying to remember the last time a wife had input on rigging my pro v. don't have THE wife but stilL have my lund good luck on power ball. DLK.

ProV

Another option you could try... Deploy your trolling motor and turn it so it is facing backwards, or towards your main motor.. Turn on the unit so it creates resistance and slows your speed. If you want to go slower, just turn up the thrust of your trolling motor...

At times, all you have to do is just deploy the trolling motor and turn it to the side... Giving you just enough resistance to find that sweet speed while trolling...

With a 36volt system, you should have enough juice to troll for an extended period of time as such. I do this on my 24v system and can troll pretty much all day. And I find that it is much easier to steer the boat this way then opting with the drift sock method.

I'll second the dual drift sock trick, but if you ever buy a nice 4-stroke kicker with power tilt you'll wonder how you got by without it. It's much easier to deal with than drift socks and a much quieter, enjoyable experience than fishing with a big motor chugging along.

Quote:

Sitting here scracthing my head and trying to remember the last time a wife had input on rigging my pro v. don't have THE wife but stilL have my lund good luck on power ball. DLK.

Friday I was at the dealership where they were rigging my new Lund 1800 Fisherman and my wife showed up. By the time she had left, she had talked me into putting a new 9.9 Pro Kicker with power tilt on it. I had planned to switch my 15 four stroke back and forth between my 14 footer and the new Lund. Now I have a new kicker and my wife of 34 years. Do you suppose the fact that she likes to fish helped a bit? grin.gifgrin.gifwink.gif