• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Driveing out by weekend

Dragon Fish ll

Im thinking with the ice machine turned way on it should be pretty safe to start driving out on the lakes real soon. any thoughts on it? Any reports of drivable lakes feel free to post here. laugh.gif

I've seen people driving on many lakes already even though I don't think the ice is safe enough for it.

Due to early thaw/freeze/thaw/freeze patterns we've had, the top 4 inches of ice is frozen slush (or white ice) which holds lots of air bubbles. This top layer of white ice has a higher insullation rating than the better black ice which is inhibiting the ice from thickening.

Whatever you do, don't just drive out based on the temperature. Check the ice before you drive on it.

confused.gif

I want to share what I experienced just a couple days ago on a Hennepin county lake.

I had just got set up for fishing with a couple fishing partners on a popular metro water. We drove our ATV's out as we have been doing regularly most of the winter. Soon after we got a line down the hole.. we hear the ice creaking and cracking, the ice waving violently and water clearing the top of the ice... Soon we heard these words..

" Is it safe to even be driving out here?!? " I opened my ice house door to see a extended cab full size pickup with a snowmobile in the box, and pulling a very heavy duty trailer with a large utility 4 wheeler on it. They followed out an S10 blazer pulling their trailer with an atv on it. Of course they came across the lake and parked within 15' of another full size older car (delta 88) that was owned by a fisherman who was taking some precaution and parked far away from other houses and vehicles.

I yelled over to them and told them the ice conditions.. 12" with 3" of frozen slush... which they looked at me in confusion(didnt know how much they needed to drive anyhow). They through their vehicles in reverse and spread them out about 30' after I told them it wasnt safe to operate the heavy truck on the ice with the load... then processed to unload their toys and race by our ice house at extreme rates of speed for the next several hours(within 20')... at least the one 4 wheeler slowed down when he had to drive around the guy sitting in the lawn chair fishing(within 10').

The ice is not that great. My auger blades are old and its cutting through like butter. The clear ice is coming up chunky. I will not drive a vehicle out. I will walk or take the 4 wheeler. It is not worth it. We gained 1/2"(INCH) of ice in the last week.

Its a big example of Monkey See, Monkey Do.. last week there were 2 very small vehicles out.. the weekend came and the weekend warriors seen vehicles out.. next thing you know everyone was driving out not knowing the ice conditions, but figuring it was safe because others were out there already. There are ice reports of 7" on the same lake I am fishing in some areas.

I would bring the snowmobile/atv, or your walking boots if you own anything bigger than a Honda Civic this weekend.

That guy, another way to look at your post was that 12" of ice, with 3" being slush, was capable of holding up an old car, a blazer , and a full size pick-up all parked in close proximity to each other...

Not disagreeing with you, just offering a different point of view.

Drove all over waconia last week 17' of ice to drive not even popping at all I would check the ice if you are on a lake that doesn't have any trucks on it but overall the ice in the west metro seems to be fine to me. I saw problably 50 full sizes driving out there so if someone was going to go through it would of been by now.

i haven't heard of that many cars going through so i don't think that the ice is as bad as many make it out to be.

I know that it has grown more than a 1/2 inch where I was fishing though.

Yesterday morning WBL only had 13.25 inches on the north side. The cold weather this weekend isn't going add much ice. It will add some but it will not be measured in inches. Remember, when ice forms it goes from the top down, and when it melts it melts from the bottom up. We are getting late in the year and the sun has more power than you think. Even though it's cold out if the sun is shining the cold won't win by much.

Quote:

That guy, another way to look at your post was that 12" of ice, with 3" being slush, was capable of holding up an old car, a blazer , and a full size pick-up all parked in close proximity to each other...

Not disagreeing with you, just offering a different point of view.

I understand where your coming from.. but I also remember ending up on 6" of ice on Lake O'dowd in the past when there was 2' at the access... I didnt know about the creek channel, and I was in a bronco II with an ice house on the trailer behind me.. it held, but I take extra precautions before driving after that. A couple years back my cousin went though the ice when we drove out on the ATV's fully loaded.. he got off the ATV, walked a few steps off to the side to drill a hole and he went through with the auger laying over his shoulders. A couple days ago a fishing partner of mine was on another lake near Rochester and they took out the ATV's.. A few feet away from where they parked there was less than 1" of ice... the snow had covered the thin spot.

As another said.. Is it worth it? Call me paranoid.. but I am dry when I get back to the truck.

That guy, your stories are perfect examples that ice is never safe. If anyone is going to drive out this weekend, they better be checking the conditions before they go out. Driving accross a creek channel for instance is never a good idea.

That being said, there will be 20" of ice on SOME metro lakes by the end of the weekend if it gets as cold as they are saying it will (-10 to -15 over a couple of nights). I feel comfortable driving on these lakes.

Hey All, the ice on northern metro lakes has been fine. With 16' of ice I feel that it is perfectly safe to drive out on the lakes with my F-150. Yesturday I was out with my truck and their was at least 15 other trucks on the lake. But make sure you check the ice conditions before you drive out there each lake can be different.

-WildBill

16'? Maybe 16".

I'd make sure to check. The lake That Guy is referring to is on the northern side of the cities, so there is a lot of variability out there.

I've been finding 12-14 on a few metro lakes with a couple of inches of the milky white ice. My auger has been cutting great too. I don't know if that is a way to judge the quality of the ice, but it does make some sense.

Well, I'll tell ya. If I do make it out tommorrow, I think it will be safe to drive on most Metro lakes. I originally thought that it would take a week of near zero weather to thicken it up, but if it really gets to -20 something tonight...I think the ice will be just fine. Strange weather this year, but I kinda like it.