• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How do I fish from a boat !

BlackwaterStout

Hello. I'm a new guy here and although I'm not from Minnesota (West Virgnia) I am blown away by the amount of info I've found on this sight. I've been looking around the species specific forums and finding a lot of good info. But I thought I'd ask a more specific question here.

Last fall I recently purchased my first boat. It's admittedly not much to brag about but it does float. smile.gif It's a 15' 1979 MFG Superbass with a 25hp Johnson. I've been an avid fisherman my whole life but I'm having a tough time applying my knowledge to boats. We did get a chance to fish a few times last year from the boat and in frustration we ended up just jigging for yellow perch and bass fishing coves and such.

This year my intensions are to fish some WV Lakes and Rivers that are home to trophy Muskie and Walleye. I want to learn how to troll for those types of fish and also learn how to drift fish. I've tried to find as much info as possible online and I'm not finding as much as I'd hope. I'm also trying to track down some of the local guys in WV that have experience fishing these methods. Still not much luck there either.

I took a trip last summer to lake Erie to troll for Walleyes and had some success using dipsy divers but I'm not really sure if thats the way I should fish WV's small lakes. I have a lot of questions about gear, rigging, trolling speeds, depths, etc.

I was hoping you guys might give me a heads up on what I need to learn along with what types of rigging I might want to use. I know it's hard to give this kind of healp over the internet but I'm willing to take in all of the information I can in hopes of preparing me for this summer fishing action. Thanks ahead of time for any info you can provide.

First off welcome.

Secondly, that is alot of information you requested! My advice is to browse the website and post questions in their respected forums. I am certain that you will finds tons of advice and suggestions that you can put to work for you this summer. Even reviewing past topics and doing some reading you will find a ton of useful information. Don't be afraid to ask questions. (it's obvious that you aren't smile.gif)

Welcome to Hotspotoutdoors.. and fishingminnesota.

You asked a mouthfull there... And to be totally honest with you, without knowing what types of lakes you are fishing almost impossible to answer. Things people will need to know are this. Weedy lake? Rocky lake, sandy lake?, water clarity.. ect!!!

Tolling can be quite complex. Finding the lure that will dive to the right depth at the right speed is the key. Lure depth can vary by how much line you have out, the thickness of the line and other factors as well.. Know the tendancies of the lure.. You will pick up on this through trial and error.

A wind drift is set up by taking your boat above the area you plan on fishing then allowing the wind to pull you through the area you feel the fish are. You can use a trolling moter to slow your speed and fine tune your drift, or you can also use products like drift socks to slow you down as well.

So much to learn, and as stratosman says.. feel free to ask more questions. However I would suggest you narrow the question down some to give people a chance to answer thm.

Enjoy the boards here and again.. Welcome!

Welcome!

There is a book that I would like to recommend. It's called "Walleye" written by (Contact US Regarding This Word) Sternberg. You can buy it in the sporting goods section at Walmart for about $20. It's a hard cover book with "Walleye" on the front.

This book is exactly what you need to get started. It has detailed information on seasonal walleye patterns, techniques, equipment, etc... This book is jam packed with great illustrations and information. I call it the Walleye Bible. I still read it from time to time.

Good luck!

I sure do appreciate everyone's suggestions. I will certainly read as much as I can on these forums. There is definately a lot of material to cover.

I figured I asked too many questions for one post. smile.gif Maybe I'm too impatient. lol

For anyone interested, WV unfortunately with it's hilly terrain is not blessed with the same types of natural lakes that you guys see in Minnesota. We have impoundments that were created over the last 100 years for flood control purposes. The largest lake in WV is only 2700 acres. Thats chump change for those of you in Minn. But that is all we have down here. Fortunately, these impoundments do offer very good fishing. None of them are very wide due to the geology here that creates so many rivers that flow through valleys. You dam up the valleys and you end up with long fingery lakes that are generally no wider than 1/2 mile. Bottom composition tends to be rockier near the headwaters of the lakes and sandier and siltier near the dams. Most of our lakes have lots of small shallow coves that still contain standing timber that was left behind for fish habitat. These areas have a tendancy to get grassy. Generally speaking there is a lot of shallow water (less than 30 feet) than there is deeper water.

Anyway, didn't mean to bore you. Just thought I'd give you a WV lakes rundown. You never know when you'll be passing through and get the urge to go fishing. smile.gif

echoing what one of the guys said early about trolling, knowing how deep you are running is key. I am not sure of the name of the book but I know there is a book that tells you how much line to let out for each lure to get it to hit certain depths. This should really help you target the depth zones you are marking fish on.

I would also strongly suggest either a depth finder that shows your speed or even better a gps. Knowing your exact speed while trolling is very important, both for triggering fish and for hitting the right depth. A gps will also help get back on a spot or make another trolling line over a productive area.

These are all just general tips, like the other guys said do some searchs on the site and you will definitely find some useful information!

The book that superhawk mentioned is called "Precision Trolling" and is the Trollers Bible. Anyone that does any amount of trolling should have one in the boat. It has every lure and what depth it will run with 10 lb test, with a dive curve that takes into account how much line is out. It also talks about Planer boards and snap weights. Great book to have.

I will look for the book. Thanks again.

I have a Garmin handheld GPS I take with me and I have been researching depthfinders and will be purchasing one soon. Probably an Eagle Fishmark 480.

I bid welcome as well! Shows that fishing is fishing no matter where you live AND the Fishing MN site is one of the worlds best fishing sites!

Hey BWS,

Welcome to the site as well. You will find more information here, FOR FREE, than you can imagine, and it is all more than just opinion, it WORKS, or these guys wouldn't put it out there.

My two cents would be this:

For starters, as far as boat fishing goes, the one thing that can be overlooked probably more than anything, and is a must for ALL species of fish is BOAT CONTROL. The only way to really advance at this is to spend time on the water. What a bummer, Huh LOL. Seriously, get as comfortable running your boat as you do your car. By running, I not only mean spot to spot, even more importantly is boat control while fishing. It is truly the key to bait presentation, no matter what species you are after.

Have fun!!!! and Welcome again!!!

Doug

those books sound very good....feel free to give me a call anytime...i can try to explain over the phone if you want...love to talk fishing this time of year....