• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

trailer berrings

hitthebricks

Question

Does anyone know anything about the system that uses 90w gear lube instead of grease for trailer bearings. HTB

18 answers to this question

Check out liqua-lube. They use a synthetic not 90w. I see more trailers advertising these type of hubs as original equipment and if I need to replace my bearings I will put one of these systems on my trailer.

I bought a friends pro v a couple of years ago that he had the liqualube hubs on and had NEVER changed the bearings on it. He had gone up to Cananda many times with this rig and put thousands of miles on the bearings. When I bought it from him this concerned me so I had my tire guys change the bearings and they told me that the bearings in there looked like new. My friend told me that he did change the lube every year, which is very easy and much cheaper than having them repacked. I really like them and think that this is a pretty good testimonial for their reliability

Liquid type lube for bearings is the optimal way to go. You get consistant protection from it. All of the "big rig" trucks and trailers use wet lube, and if any machine sees high shock loads and serious miles, it's big trucks. The only downfall is if you get a leaky seal you can lose the oil fairly quikly where grease is a little more forgiving in that respect. Just get in the habit of checking the level whenever you stop for fuel. If you need to add oil, use the same type and grade that you originally filled it with. I would suggest a synthetic gear/bearing oil as it won't break down as quikly. If your oil is milky, it has water contamination and would need new seals as well.

i think it was last summer, but bass and walleye boats mag. did a how to article on replacing your reg. hubs to the new liquid ones. it listed some after market ones and a step by step as how to do it. it may be worth some checking too.

Yep, they have been around forever in the off-road and heavy industry equipment for decades and they are generically called "oilers". The nice thing is that if you have an external leak you know it cuz it makes a mess out of everything, and as mentioned you can visually verify if water has contaminated you lube.

valv would be applicable to ranger trail trailer with their patented greaseing system 1990 ranger trail trailer thanks castindad

Norma, I could't find anything on the website about it, what did they say about it? Do they attach like berring buddies? HTB

I just read the shorlandr deal and it sounds like since they don't offer it it must be bad. If I where going to purchase a new trailer this year I'd have it come with the oilers on it in a heartbeat.

The problem with the bearing buddys that shorlandr dosen't talk about is when the seal goes bad the spring pressure pushes all of your grease out the back side where it is difficlut to see. You also cannot see any contaminiation until it's to lake. Did you notice how they said the oiler hubs get hot and when you dunk them in the lake it causes condensation? Saying that like grease hubs don't get hot. Don't kid yourself, grease hubs get hot too.

I guess I still don't know what to do, but I do know I need to pull the hubs off my trailer and check and pack the berrings, but I don't know how to remove the callipers. Does anyone have first hand experience and advice on shorelander trailers. Thanks HTB

Seems to me that the Liqua-Lube system would sure make maintenance easier. Drain and replace the fluid. I don’t believe that bearing buddies can replace repacking the bearings. They do however keep a positive pressure in the hub to help keep moisture out.

Quote:

I don’t believe that bearing buddies can replace repacking the bearings

You are correct. In fact, no matter what type of lubricating system you use, a yearly inspection of the bearings and new seals is THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO!!!. Have your bearings checked by a professional if you are any bit foggy as to what to do/look for. If you know how to do it yourself, and know what to look for on the bearings and races, all the better. It is BAR NONE the cheapest insurance you can buy! Nothing worse than heading up to your favorite lake for a getaway than to have them buggers seize up. Not only is it inconvenient, it often happens when most repair shops are closed. Often times, your spindle can become damaged and then you run into a mountain of problems. Other factors-blown tires, ruined rims, loss of control, consequent damage to collateral (your boat) equipment, etc... No matter what lube system you choose to use, make sure you keep up on the maintenance. One more thing-whenever you pull the hub off of the axle, replace the seal whether you do anything with the bearings or not.

My problem isn't with packing the bearings and related stuff, it is with removing the caliper so I can get the hub off. I store the boat about 20 min. away and last fall when I was winterizing the boat I took a quick look and realized I didn't have enough time or replacement seals and I also didn't look and see how the calipers are attached. So thats the part I need help with to be prepared next time. thanks HTB