• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

new trout bait

I was at Foster Arends last sunday mourning and caught a 15 1/2" rainbow.After taking it home and cleaning it I decided to do a postmortem examination of the stomach.After cutting in with my fillet knife I heard a scraping sound,there were four small stones inside.I'm guessing that somebody was throwing stones in the water and this fish thought it was feeding time?

Dan,I had a great time on saturday.What could be better than ice fishing and watching girls in bikinis jumping into ice water! cool.gif

Welcome aboard R.Dawg!

I have heard of stones in sheepshead but not trout. wink.gif I wonder if that trout ate them for a reason. WxGuy? Ever heard of this?

Saturday was sure fun wasn't it? Good friends and good times.

Thanks for coming on board with us.

Nice to see you come on deck, ResDawg. Enjoy yourself while here!

Rocks are common in hatchery trout. Besides eating stones tossed in the water, I have seen these fish get them ingested while picking food off the bottom.

I can't remember seeing this in stream trout when I fished them years back so I don't know if all hatchery trout will display this trend or not. It is my assumption that these fish are such competitive feeders while in captivity that they simply lay into whatever the see as food, like a pellet or what looks like a pellet. I don't think the rocks hurt them and are either puked out when they get bothersome or are dissolved in the gut.

Had a buddy nearly catch a fish on his depth checker weight. He clamped it to his hook (no bait) and dropped it down into 22 FOW at Waubay in SoDak. While adjusting his slip not, something started to tug. He reeled the fish up to about 5' under the ice and it let go. He saw a flash and said it was a perch or smaller walleye. It took his depth checker.

ResDog, Welcome. You'll feel right at home here.