• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pike Bay/Cass reports anyone?

Heading up to Ojibway resort this weekend, first time for me. Looking for any reports for Pike Bay or Cass. What's the snowcover on the ice like? How were the perch and walleye bites this past weekend? Mebbe see ya out there this weekend.

BRING YOUR HEATER!!! It is going to be VERY VERY cold this week up here... I heard on the radio on Friday or Thursday that the high is -10.... Dropping into the -20's at night.. This is weather we usually have in January.. As for fishing on Pike.. The perch are everywhere and as usual you need to sort throw the small ones to get the keepers... You will not have a tough time finding the perch on Pike... As for snow cover, we are expecting 1" of new snow today, but that should not matter... You should be able to get around on the whole lake with no problem as long as you have a four wheel drive truck/SUV... I might be out there on Saturday scouting around a bit... Good Luck and stay warm...

Beef

Beef,

I will be there again on sataurday too looking for some perch? Have they been in the 20-30's or the 15-20 ft. for depths. Have you fished on the south shore by the campground? I know there is more weeds on that break.

Matt

You said it, and that's without wind chill. I guess I'll bring the sunflower instead of the Buddy, eh? Thanks for the update.

I found a ton of perch out in 36'... You should of seen what it looked like through the OVS 560!!!!! There were a ton of perch... Last week they were chasing the perch minnows... Spitting them up all over the place too....

Still looking to find the walleyes... Have them narrowed down on Cass right now... I'm thinking PikeBay nows where they are at right now....

This morning on my way into Cass Lake, it was -15 with the high expected to be -5...

COLD COLD COLD COLD COLD COLD COLD COLD

Sounds good. It is going to be super cold but my buddy is leaving to go to New Zealand until June so it is the last time we will be able to go with him.

How did you do on Cass this morning?

Are people driving on over on the access by the dam or not??

I got a spot out there on the Northside that I know I would catch walleye but 2 weeks ago froggy said that a truck went through up there by the dam. If not what is the best route to the northside.

Thanks again

Matt

There were 2 trucks that came off the dam access last Saturday evening and drove down to Cedar island and fished. They were full sized pick-ups. Hope that helps... I used a snowmobile and fished the mid-lake structure... but I came from Allen's bay.

Good Luck!

Ken

Hey guys,

I will be leaving in a few hours for Cass. This will be my second trip to Jones' house this year. Hopefully we will do as good as the first. It is going to be colder than cold. I am taking my parents wih me. Dad (72) and mom (70) and my daughter. All of us are die hard fishermen, but WOW!!! Weather .com says minus 31 tomorrow morning. Hopefully the truck will start on Saturday morning.lol. I will post on here my results when I get back.Might have to get some schnapps to keep warm.!! shocked.gif

It was even too cold to drink. Well, wait a minute... no it wasn't. Anyway, we did manage to get a bunch of decent perch. I know we had a ton of them around the 9 inch mark. We kept some of them for a meal. We brought home the nicer ones. I don't know exactly but I think it was around 30 between 10 and 12 inches. We also had 4 or 5 break offs. We assumed they were northerns, but you never know. We did manage to land 1 northern that was almost 29 inches long. I should say we did the lasso on him. He had 5 of the 6 lines in the house wrapped up. My folks had a great time despite the cold weather. I just want to thank Brian for his hospitality and recommend him to anyone that ever gets up to Cass Lake. Thanks Brian. The weekend with family is always nice no matter what the fishing is like. Later guys. smile.gif

Walleyes,

I wish I could of made it over to say hi... I heard you got into some nice jumbos... I had a sick kid all weekend frown.giffrown.gif Next year we should have at least one maybe two new rental houses in the fleet... Glad to hear that you stayed warm grin.gifgrin.gif

Did the eel pout ever move into the area?? Last week we had some clients catch a few pout...

beef

Beef,Yeah it would have been fun to meet you and put a face to the name. Yeah we got into some nice fish, but also alot of little guys. We didn't catch any pout. That really suprised me. I will keep you guys in my email contacts for next years ice fishing and also I told Brian that I would most likely be up in the spring or summer to show him some spots on Kitchi. My Dad's uncle used to live in Pennington and we always fished Kitchi in the early part of the season. He was a big hunter and fisherman and he knew the lake like the back of his hand. I think my dad actually knows the lake alot better than I do.

Our group had a fine weekend of it on Pike Bay too, despite the cold. Saturday was dead, but Sunday redeemed itself. Sight-fished stacks of perch in 8-12 FOW - it was mad action, could barely get one fish off the hook before the other rod tipped down. An hour-and-a-half bite in mid AM and mid PM; a couple bite offs; and one 'pout. A couple meals of 10"-11" yellows all around.

Very happy with Ken and Ojibway Resort also! His newer winter cabin is posh, with in-floor heat, gas fireplace and modern kitchen w/ dishwasher. (We were scheduled for one of the older cabins he opened up for winter, but the other folks cancelled 'cause of the cold - too bad for them!)

Fun weekend, if you don't count buddy's ATV not starting Saturday AM, blowing the engine on my sled, locking my keys in a running truck, and chipping the blade on the auger, and cracking the window on my portable... blush.gif -27F was not kind to the equipment!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I'd have to agree that Ken at Ojibway is a great guy. We've been going there for years now. In fact we're doing a two week stink there in June this year. Should be a great time.

Glad to hear you got into some nice yellows. We almost stopped there on the way back from URL on Monday but ran short on time.