• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Thought I would pass along an experience I had this a.m. at CC pits. Went out for the early morning bite and had consistent action w/ some good sized fish. Orange/black marmooska/waxie combo in 18 FOW

Fish seemed to get particular and were less common on the Vex, so I was going to leave. I had reeled up and had just pulled the waxie off to put away the rod....then a couple fish lit the screen. Well I would guess the rest of you may be like me in that if you mark a fish; you are going to put a lure in front of them. I quickly grabbed another waxie to thread it on the jig.....only I hooked it in the middle of the worm (eyes aren't what they used to be ;o), Dropped it anyway and that gill hammered it! No coaxing, teasing or other action that had been required of some of the others I caught. So tried it again.....same thing! Extended my fishing time another hour and then had to leave as I had some to-do's for the wife.

Maybe others were aware of this but it was a new experience that I will file away in the memory banks for future use....even if it was "discovered" by accident

You bet that works! We've been doing just that for a couple of years now. We were calling it hot dog style. The horizontal waxies can get gobbled up just like a hot dog.

Sometimes using two waxies, one threaded up the hook of the jig, and one hooked in the middle making the letter "T". That way if you get a bite and miss it, you still have one waxie still left on the jig for the follow up bite.

I often use the T method as well. Its great when your using a jigging spoon, or a lure with a decent sized hook.

Rigging a waxie wacky gives the fish a different profile to look at under the water, and sometimes that's all they need to peck at it. It will also make your jig drop more slowly, which can entice a fish to grab a-hold.

Great tip. One should never be afraid to try these different methodologies.

I made my way to some open water on the river down by Hammond 2 weeks ago. There are no night crawlers this time of year and the guy at HOF laughed at me for asking....

..... So I had waxies and fatheads. I used a crawler harness full of EACH, Threw it on the bottom in some current by a deep hole and had one HUGE drag stealing fish on that I never got a look at. I am sure it must have been the biggest cat in the river, a musky, or a carp snagged in the bellygrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif