• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

West Metro Report

Mr. Pike1

Myself, Mykal, G-man, and Tim from the site decided to meet up early at a West Metro lake that has historically put out great panfish numbers and size. Tim had a couple of sleds to get us to the honey hole. From the time the first hole was drilled we marked schools of fish moving in the area. The crappie bite was lite but moderatly aggressive. For the most part the crappies were 8-10 ers but there were a couple of 12 ers caught as well. We also found some nice sunfish mixed in. Everyone who chose to bring home a meal went home happy. The good news about this body of water is the crappie bite is a day bite and no small window of opportunity. I am confident we could have stayed there the remainder of the afternoon and caught fish all day. Tim and Mykal had plans for the boat show so we called it a day. Overall great day on the ice.

Mykal- Good to see you again. I am sure we will see you out on this West metro gem many more times before ice out.

Tim- Good to meet you and I think I speak for everyone. Thanks for the sleds to ride to the spot. I am guessing it was a good mile from the access.

G-Man- Glad to get you out on a good bite so you can put that new fillet knife to use. Hope you and your wife enjoyed a good afternoon fish fry.

Hopefully see you all on the hard water again very soon.

Quote:

What is the point of posting this other than to brag? West metro honey hole? Gimme a break. If you're not going to name the lake, don't waste my time with your self-gratification.

I disagree with that sentiment. A common complaint that I hear at bait shops and read on this forum is that Metro lakes are pressured so much that the only panfish available are about the size of ruffles potato chips. Not so. I myself went out on a Metro neighborhood lake today for about an hour and a half and caught 15 bluegills in the 8 to 9" class. Threw half of them back. I like to read about the success of other people on lakes around these parts, and if you are nice to them, they may even invite you along sometime...

TJ, The post was not meant to offend or brag. Just sharing a day on the hard water shared by a few FMers that have a passion for fishing. I apologize if the communication came across wrong.

I can also direct you to the general area where you can find a pretty girl but I hope you don't need me to hold your hand to direct you to her honey hole as well...

MrPike1, Tim, G-man...Had a great day on the ice with you guys. We will do it again soon. Just let me know when you are available.

Mr.Pike, sounds like you had a great time and great weather. I spent the day in a hockey rink but I have Monday off and hope to hit a spot I have had nice success at in the past. I think if a person puts his/hers time in and trys to find spots they will have a honey hole also. I have only been ice fishing for 4-5 years and learning on my own, I think that I have done pretty well. I do have a lot to learn and FM has helped a lot. Thanks to all of you who share even the smallist of info. It helps.

Fishing Tech, I have met many great people from the site. I have learned from many and shared with many as well. This year has been kind of differnt with all the odd weather patterns. I have had good success with Pike, crappie, sunfish, and perch. I have really struggled this year with the walleye. The bite on smaller lakes has been tough. I now Milleacs has had a good bite most of the winter but it is really like a 1-2 hour window at dusk.

Good luck if you get out on Monday. I am going to stuck at work planning my next adventure on the ice.

Mr.Pike, I have never fished for walleyes. I usaully fish for crappies. Mostly on east metro lakes because with 2 kids in hockey I dont get alot of chances to get out. My father and I picked up a boat 2 years ago but even in the summer it is hard to find time. So when I get out it is easier for me to locate crappies and sunnies for a meal than try things to catch walleyes. With 3 kids in sports basicly year round time for fishing is hard to find. my parents did it for me so I am doing it for mine. My dad and I are hitting the spot tomorrow and I will let you know how we did.

Nothing,notta, zip. Drilled holes for 3 hours and never marked a fish. Either it is the strange winter or my spot has been abused.