• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I am going to be fishing winnie for the first time ever on the 19,20,21. I will be staying at dennys. So if any of you would like to help out a first timer i would take any info on where to fish and how to fish them. We will be trying for perch but anything is better than nothing. Were from Iowa and tired of not catching much so we thought we would take a trip. thanks

rady, there are many posts here in the winnie section that you can go back and check on. it all stays pretty consistant with what you will here. the only difference is some people will tell you to go somewhere different. As far as lures there are mutliple posts on what have been hot. either way i would just check prior posts. You will receive just as much info and the same info that people would post. If you have peticular questions post it and see what happens. hope this helps.

the best bet for now has been northwest side over by zoomers any jigging spoone has been working with a head

Jason

rady i am goin 2 winnie for first time same days where staying at high banks can usually get good info out of these guys. good luck and happy fishing

grin.gif

Hey first timer welcome to winnie. I bought a road pass from Denny's on 12/25/05. I've used it every weekend except one. I moved my house out 10 miles and found some nice perch in 30 feet of water. A few notherns mixed in also. 8lb last weekend two limits of nice perch and threw back 3 fish for every one we kept but ya gotta real them up real slow. You'll know when you got a keeper on the end of the line once you set the hook. plain hook and a minnow was better than any jiggen spoon. Try 2-3 feet off the bottom.Good luck see ya on the ice.

thanks for the info guys sounds like i picked a bad time to go right after this cold snap but it still beats sittin home or workin right.

if your going up this weekend bring lotz of clothes and lp. its going to be a cold one. i just canceled my plans because of the windchill. be careful.

rady, I was out a couple weeks ago it was pretty cold then about -5 each morning never got above 15 durring the day. I moved around alot only spent about 20 min fishing time at each spot. Conditions weren't bad I kept my back to the wind. If I did'nt bet a bite in 20 min I moved. Put on about six miles. Anywhere from 15-35 feet. I caught a couple nice perch at 9 am in 30 feet just off the south edge of a 21 foot hump. Then a few small ones. I gave that spot 45 min and moved on. after 5 miles and 30 holes I decided to try it again there.It was 1:30 pm I'd just been fishing 18 feet so I slid my bobber stopper down a couple arm lengths being lazy droped it down and before I could get my jigging pole out my bobber was gone. Turns out I was about 6 feet off the bottom. I fished untill I had 6 10"+ size Perch took about 10 min. I went and got my house set it on the spot fished about 2 feet off the and had non stop action untill dark. Sunday was just as good. It was the best Jumbo fishing I've had up there in two years. So don't let a little cold front get ya down there still there. I left my house on the spot if you go out 10 miles on Dennys road look to your left a couple hundred yards off the road you'll see a 6x10 blue fishouse with white trim. Give a try in the area. I'll be on Red Lake this weekend and useing a buddys house but next weekend I'll be back on Winnie on another search and destroy mission I'd like to find some fish a little closer to the south shore. Good luck If you get on them let me know. Thanks Fish'n addict.

thanks for the info and i will have to give it a try. And i will let you all know how i did when we return home. lets just hope the roads are good by sunday thats when we leave and it is a 8.5 hour drive for us. thnaks again

Thats too bad. My open water expieriences have me believing its maybe the best lake in the state right now. Its awfully hard too beat, i'll leave it at that.

Sorry to hear that your first time to Winnie wasen't so memoriable. It's a long drive with alot of good expectations of a great trip only to have it turn out the way it did. Ive been fising the lake hard for 6 years now and I'm just starting to learn the lake. Of course like any lake the right spot and the right day makes all the difference when it comes to fishing. I hope your next long road trip the Fish God's will be shining down on you. I was out on that Sunday 2/19 in the afternoon and it was a tuff bite. Marked lots of fish but they seemed to have lock jaw. 1-4pm 4 lines down kept 20 perch all at 9 inches. Threw back aprox 20 smaller ones.I'll be back early friday morning threw sunday. Plan to fish walleyes late afternoon and into the evening in the permanent shack and perch with the portable if needed.

i wont give up im on winnie going back when its open and try and figure it out some more. Maybe that will help the ice fishing. i would like to find the jumbos some day.

I was on Winnie this past weekend also. Went 8 miles noth of NoDaks. Saturday afternoon I did very well, limited out on perch 9-12" in 2 hours. Monday the fish were there, but only the small ones bit.

Keep trying. Nothing like having your flasher come alive when your bait is still 10 feet from the bottom to get you addicted to the lake. March is coming, best time to be on the lake.

Gary

You have some responsibility for finding your own fish. Do people really think that you just drive up there, someone gives you a GPS coordinate and you start laying the wood to the jumbos? We always spend time with our lake map before we go and get some GPS locations that look pretty good locked in. We stop in at the resort and ask about the fishing. I dont really care about the 9 miles here or there, I am more interested in how deep and general locattions that guys are catching fish. It doesnt always mean that we hammer the fish, but it helps. I always have gone out of high banks and will continue to do so because they were and are nice people there and always volunteer information. I hope you dont get turned off with the lake because it is pretty darn great if you are willing to do some work and move around to catch fish. Good luck next time. Put your fishing fate in your own hands and dont rely on others to put you on fish and you will have a better trip.