• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Vexilar

TMT

Question

13 answers to this question

I had an FL8 and moved to the FL18 and love it, especially the zoom feature. For me, the extra few bucks were well worth it.

Good luck!

do a search in the expert information forum and it will make your head spin on the info available for the frozen water flashers. I have an fl-18 now and I used to use an fl-8 couldn't go back if I tried. Also consider marcum lx-3, or lx-5, very good technology.

good luck

abe

It's not on your list but Cabelas has one called the VXR that carries the Cabelas brand name but is made by Marcum. It's got a zoom feature like the fl-18 (i actually like the 18's zoom better), but it's a great little unit and it's on sale at cabelas for 249. I have a fl-18 and I'm thinking about exchanging it for the VXR. Not necessarily because i'd get $120 back. But because I like the VXR better! My buddy has the VXR and we used them side by side.

The VXR doesn't flicker as much as an 18 and it's much much quieter. When I say flicker I mean the targets stay a more consistent size and color on the marcum. Where with my 18, I could jig it up a foot and let it settle; during that time it could disappear, display as a big red target and then a small green target. With the marcum, the target stays more consistent.

If it were me, I'd get the VXR before the fl-18 ANY DAY!

Anyway, to answer your question, in my opinon the 18 is worth the extra money. I use the zoom almost exclusively.

How much do you fish? The FL-8 works great for the guys that I know that have them. I have a Zercom that seems to work just fine as well. As long as you can see your bait and the fish, thats what matters most. I cant imagine how I ever fished without one for all of those years. I would stick with the FL-8 or 18. They are sturdy units that can take a mild beating. No matter how careful you are, it will get banged around a little bit on the ice.

im still using an older fl-8 with the 30' depth scale in leau of the 20' on the newer ones. it works fine. its a matter of being able to interpret what any flasher is telling you. they all work.

regards,

minnesotatuff

Depends on the type of fishing you are looking at doing. I've had the pleasure to try out the Marcum lx-5, Fl-18, and have an older Fl8-slt. For the fishing I do I like the unit I have. Each one has advantages and of course downfalls. Some things you might want to think about is, How often do I fish deeper then 15', how often do I fish deepwater basins, Can I use this winter, spring, summer and fall on my boat to maximize usefulness. Is it compatiable with how you fish? Depth can be found by many different methods, as can bottom type, for little investment. If you do buy a sonar unit, my best advice is to take it somewhere you know like the back of your hand and fish with it and familiarize yourself with what the advantages are for the way that you intend to use it. Side note, Marcum is alot quieter then my Fl-8, display between the 18 and Marcum are both pretty quiet. Zoom is good on both units. Do you fish Superior or really deep water? The ice forum has some good info on flashers that you might want to check out. For my personal usage, and the depths I fish the Fl-8 does fine. I'm headed to the [pond tomorrow to try and get a few perch/walters for dinner. If you have friends that have any of the different units maybe you can try them out individually to help you decide. I was looking at upgrading but found that for my usage patterns the Fl-8 was fine. Hope this helps.

Tunrevir~

What a lot of people dont realize is that the LX-2 is very comparable to the 18, zoom, 9 or 12 levels of IR, 1000 watts of power peak to peak. Save your self the money and buy the 2. Digital charging system.

I got the fl-18! Used it Sat. on Mille Lacs and loved it. I messed around with it for a while and found that the zoom is an awesome feature for water over 20ft. I appreciate all the responses. Thanks.

TMT, Do you have any trouble when fishing close to others ( 15 to 30 feet) or with older fl 8's or other units as far as interference , can you get it all out??

The closest I fished to another Vexilar this last weekend was about 15 ft. I had no issues with any interference. My buddy has had issues with his older fl-8 and other units around 15 ft of each other.

This is using the FL 18 sorry I didn't say using the 18, any way the same quistion ? can you get out ALL the Interferance with your fl 18 or do you still have SOME when others are useing older FL 8 OR other units up to 30 feet away ? I know they have 10 buttons to help this problem but mine seams to be very sensitive (fl 18 ) other that it is a great unit ! just like to here what others have to say on this? Please do not take this as a BASH on VEX as I've used them for years IT IS A very good unit they are built to last .

i think the biggest question is if the people are using flasher units with you, and what brand they are using. marcums put out more watts than vex and you will get major interference when running a vex by a marcum. i have the 18 myself and would not trade it for anything. i do like the 18 better for walleye fishing because you can really see them zoomed in, hugging on the bottom. if you can wait a year i hear lowrance is coming out with a unit that has a flasher and gps built in where you can pu the lakemaster chips in it. probably goingto be expensive.