• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

GooseCrap Lake....

I had to run a couple of errands this morning and decided to toss the 6'6" Avid in the back seat with a couple jigs. On my way home I stopped by Rochester's very own goose poop pond and taossed a few casts right at the outlet. 10 casts to be exact. 7 crappies.

1/32 ounce head (black) and an Exude Micro Shad in pearl, 4 feet deep under a small float. I was going to try my usual spot but with this new snow I had visions of my rolly-polly carcass slipping on impact when I jumped down the face of the wall and rolling into the drink. Maybe tomorrow over there after the snows melt away a bit.

This colder air and little snow should be seeting some new ice for the Zinger. I may even have to go out there and check the open water situation with the long rod again, if I can get to it without getting wet. The bay where the Zinger is taking place should be good ice by then if we can avoid those 40's we saw earlier this year.

The ice fishing is fun, but my true love is the open water and whenever I can get to it, I fish it with the long rod. It was just nice to have the few minutes of casting. Great day out there!

i have been thinking about stealing my buddies canoe and putting it in that lake and trying for anything that will bite. i heard once that fish stay a little more active in that lake due to the warm water. That makes sense and maybe it is even true. I also talked to a guy recently who said he caught 4 northerns and a walleye below the dam. wow that is some pretty good luck they must be using corn or crap for bait. ike

Ike,

I heard that someone found or caught a 20 something pound walleye somewhere down there a few years back. I don't know if I was dreaming this or if it is factual.....

RebEye,

The MN state record walleye is 17.8, so I'm guessing anything above 20lbs, might be a small yank on the leg.

i was taking my daughter 4 a walk arount the lake last summer n saw a kid pull a 31" pike out of there using a jig n fathead, that thing was fat 2, went down there the next nite after work n threw every spoon n crank i had and didnt catch anything? seems kinda shallow n structureless 4 walleye 2 be in there, but who knows?

Not large....8-8 1/2 inches. I was just north of the parking lot on the west side, where the water from the power plant is released. I fished on the right side of the flow casting real close to the current seam and keeping along that line while retreiving it.

yeah I suppose 20 pounds would be a bit much (LOL). Aside from the ridiculous weight I mentioned, I thought there was a "big" walleye pulled from somewhere down there...

who knows, I'll just shut my yapper now and call it a carp.

I know those creeps are swimmin' around down there..

I think someone got a waldo below the dam a couple years ago that was put there by a member of the midnight fish enhancement program.

Years ago the DNR had truck problems while going to a lake to stck and ended up dumping the load in Lake Zumbro to lighten the towing load home. Those fish were seen for a couple years whle the dnr did sample netting. I've heard no mentin in these last years about any showing up, so I's assume that they have fallen by the wayside. But back whenever, if they did show up at either of the two dams(Silver Lake in Rochester or Lake Shady in Oronoco)they would have either been there from the lake or by the means I just mentioned. The DNR has never had a formal stocking agenda in this area for walleyes.

I remember back in the mid sixties of driving over the old iron bridge at Quarry Hill durin a hot summer and watching gold fish the size of carp swiimming in the pool found below it. The creek had no water running because it was so dry and the only place to see life in the water of any kind was in those rare pools. And this one had two gold fish in it. I'm sure these were not a dnr idea either.

Those eyes can show up in really funny places. I cant give away the exact location because this place is so fragile but its about 1/2 hour from Rochester here. I dont know how these fish got into this place but it looks like a carp hole. It has some smallies, i did catch a 28" northern there last year. And some walleyes. And i've seen eyes over 25" caught there. I've also caught them as small as 12" so it seems there must be some reproduction. The problem is some people that fish there keep them. There isnt a big enough population for this. When i first discovered it i could usually latch into at least 1 walleye in an evening, i have had friends catch 5 or 6. Now though after people have kept some i have too fish it about 10 times too get a walleye. It was a gem for a while. I once saw a guy leave with his limit of walleyes all over 3 lbs. A little spot like this cant handle much of that going on. But i've heard from other people about other spots like this, spots that look a lot less likely too hold walleyes than below silver lake, so i wouldnt be surprised by anything around here.

Ive only caught one walleye in the area last year late in the summer and it was about 18" and ive fished down there since ive been about 13yrs old. I did manage a few toothy critters though that were 30" and 34" and a largemouth bass that went around 5lbs or so grin.gif.

I heard a rumor about cats below the "dam", so one evening last summer I grabbed my lantern and pole and headed down there for about 3 hours.

Lots of bugs, but no cats. I'll have my revenge.