• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

With these cold temps i was just wondering who is headed out and what species they will be chasing. I was thinking of going after some sunnies but am unceartin becuse of the weather and the roads.

Andrew Shae

I would like to go out, but I'm not sure if they will be biting. I haven't been to the house on Big C for a couple of weeks, so I should make it out there and make sure it is still there. wink.gif

i would like to chase a few walleyes this weekend, but i havent decided where to go. any suggestions?

I wish I had some hot tips. It has been slow in a lot of areas. Big C and Pelican are still giving up a couple of fish, but crappies may be a better bet.

One idea I was reading about it using bigger bait and setting up tip-ups for big females. We may still be a week away for this type of fishing, but it can be fun and will keep you warm.

I heard you can use bigger bait and get big females at the bar too. Thats an even better way to stay warm.

hitman, if you're interested in going after some trout let me know.

Peter, if you're still in town this weekend let me know too.

Dead --

I may go out. I feel lazy so I might go to Big C and sit in the house and have some adult beverages.

I should go to Sallie and pound some crappies --Any thoughts?

I'm at work this am -- but give me a call on my cell if you want to meet at Big C or chase some crappies on your lake.

Quote:

hitman, if you're interested in going after some trout let me know.

Peter, if you're still in town this weekend let me know too.

Dead- I wouldn't mind getting out one of these days in search of trout with ya. Have you been out lately? Give me a ring or shoot me an email and maybe we can set something up.

How was Hawaii?

hitman,

Sallie is dead, and I mean dead; no one out there at all... I've been meaning to get out there since coming back from vacation, but haven't found the time yet. My suggestion to you would be to hit the bar in the NW part of the lake. Usually that's a pretty good spot. I don't know how thick the ice is out there, but I hesitate on driving out there... If you decide you want to get out there and give it a try let me know; you could meet up with me at the office.

Loren,

I haven't been out since Hawaii, which was great grin.gif. I shot you an email the other day, but maybe you didn't get it? It's a little late tonight already to call you, I'll try you in the morning to set something up.

Sounds good, Dead. Next weekend I hope to hit Sallie and see if the crappies are around. You wanna go out there with us?

I am going to hit Big C tonight, I think. If you have nothing better to do give me a call, you still have my cell #?

I'm sure it will be 7 bites, two 11 inches, but you never know. I think the spot I'm on will get better as the season goes on -- I'm a little on the deep side.

Quote:

Loren,

I haven't been out since Hawaii, which was great
grin.gif
. I shot you an email the other day, but maybe you didn't get it? It's a little late tonight already to call you, I'll try you in the morning to set something up.

Yeah Dead, I never got an email since you've made it back. Maybe this coming Friday morning we could get out, unless you have to work?

Just got back from Mille Lacs. Left Friday night and got back around 1pm. I hit Height of Land on my way home and it was slow, marked a lot of fish, but they were a little finicky. Mille Lacs was terrible, we saw a ton of fish on the camera, but they didn't want to bite. 3 guys, 3 keeper perch and 1 15" walleye. We caught about 20 4-6 inch walleyes and perch, very frustrating. It was my first trip ever to Mille Lacs and I had high hopes. We were on one of my buddies' top secret spots that had produced in the past. A couple others fishing in the general vicinity, but other than that there wasn't any groups of houses within 2 miles of us.

Dead and Hitman, I'd love to get out, but I don't know when I'll be able to until March. I'll let both of you know.

Fisherdog

You know I started this post thinking i would get out fishing this weekend, and it didn't even happen. I had good intentions to get out but never did. So i was wondering if anyone else actually made it out and if you caught any fish. With this cold weather coming it should firm up the ice, which will allow for some late season crappie fishing and Tulliby fishing. Awesome.

Andrew Shae

Lake Sallie has good ice. I fished the center of the lake on Saturday. Drove out there on my 4 wheeler without any problem. 16-18 inches of ice. All the slush that was on top 2 weeks ago is solid ice. Nothing is biting but 6 inch perch. All day long though. No crappies, no eyes, and no pike. I did not try the bars on the north end but I did try the weed edges to the south and nothing but perch there either. No keepers but lots of them there too.

sounds alot like what I was getting most of this season too, except I would get small walleyes mixed in with the perch.

Dead --

What in the heck is that a picture of? Have you lost a little weight and changed your hair style? grin.gif

Quote:

What in the heck is that a picture of?

an olive beadhead flash wooly bugger that I tied.

If you want I can put back my old avatar with my ugly mug shocked.gifgrin.gif

Quote:

Deahead Flasher Booger

Don't be giving me any ideas now! I might have to tie up a 'flasher booger'. If I do I'll post it for all the world to see! LMAO laugh.gif

Went to Upper Cormrant tonight and caught about 20 northerns. Biggest one was 5 pounds. Watched them on the camera all night and had one that was probably 10-12# try to eat the camera for about 10 minutes.

It was fun but we were frusterated that no walleyes came through.

gonefishin, don't sweat the tough day - my buddy invited me and another friend to hit the IBEW tourney in Devils this past Saturday - it was horrible! We moved all over and threw everything in our tackle box at em. 250+ entrants and 2 walleyes caught. My buddy did land one nice 3/4 lb perch and that was it. This weekend just confirms my thoery that one need not look past the MN lakes in our backyard in the ice fishing months... I've hammered them in the past in the open water at Devils, but I think it is a severely overrated ice fishing area... That's my two cents anyways. Good luck to all!

Bison,

Not complaining too much... It was still alot of fun catching all the northerns. If I would have seem walleyes or crappies on the camera and not been able to catch them I would have been more disapointed. I just think we were in the wrong spot.

As far as Devil's goes, I have heard reports to confirm your ideas about it being a much better open water fishery. We can't cover enough water in the winter and there are too many places where the fish can be.

I'm assuming you are an NDSU student. I am as well, junior in mechanical engineering. Drop me a line sometime and we will go try to catch some fish or have a couple brews.

Gone --

Does your camera have a light on it? How old is it? How well does it work at night?

Have I asked you these Qs before?

I am thinking about a new camera, my old one is ok but is no good at night.

I bought it last spring. It worked alot better last year when there was as much snow cover and the ice was better, obviously. It has a light which gives about a half hour extra time and makes the jig glow real nice.

Right about sunset I usually just turn it off and use the vexilar. The main reason I use the camera is to see what is down there. I just like to know if the walleyes are rolling in or the red dots on my vex are just northerns or sunnies.