• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Prior Lake

I am looking for some advice on Prior. I fished it for the first time a few weeks ago. I stopped in the bait shop and they told me to go to the access off of 42 by the watertower, the crappies were hitting and I should use crappie minnows. Just go by the the village.... So I get out there and everyone I talked to said good sunfish bite use waxies no one has been catching anything on minnows...Oh and nobody has been catching crappies...

So anyway I live in rosemount and would like to get to know the lake better and just have some basic questions like is it safe for me to drive around with my 4 wheeler? Are there typical trouble spots? Should I fish for pannies? I hear there are nice numbers of eye's as well.

Anyway any advice would be appreciated and if anyone wants to go fishing sometime even better.

Thanks,

Sutty

how thick was or is the ice around sand point? saw a f-150 roll of the lake on the south end of lower. on another out to the east of S.P..

trying to get my house out for a couple of days,i hope. later Dogg

Was out today, ice appears to be 12-13 inches, people driving all over....a little sketchy for me yet. Tried 3 different spots until we found the sunnies in 22-24 ft. Real tight lipped, however we did get enough for dinner. (Kept 7 nice ones) TASTY!

I have fished prior alot this winter and have caught many crappies but they are not on the bottom. I have been sitting in 20 to 22 ft of water and they almost all have been coming in at 8 to 10 ft off the bottom. they don't always show up on the vex but I just leave a minnow and a red glow jig there and out of now where they show up. They have been kinda slow the last 2 times out but they where still there but a bit fussy. Hope that helps ya out a bit

I hit Prior on Tues. nite for the first time this year. I fished a spot that had produced for me in the past and it was holdin fish again this year. I action was pretty intense for atleast a couple hours and they were still biting somewhat when I left at 9:00pm. Most prefered a jigging technique w/a minno head or tail,but I also got several on the bobber too. Over all size was there too, most being 9-10 inchers with atleast 3 over 12in. and man where they chunky. It was hard to let'um go, they looked like they would fillet up nicely. I too was fishing 24fow, and most that where caught where suspended 10-15 feet up from the bottom.

What time of day have you been getting the crappies? I have been out only during the day, out from sportsman's in front of the island, have seen nothing but sunnies there. Any spots I should try?