• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

getting new puppy

fasternu

This Monday night, we lost our 7 yr old Golden to cancer. We were very attached to this dog and have had a tough week. Tonight (Thursday), my wife found an ad for 7 week old pups and showed it to me. She thinks we will feel better if we get a new dog, but I am not sure I am ready. (I do know that we WILL be getting another one for sure, sooner or later) A few things to ask of people:

1. Is it a good idea? Will it help?

2. What questions should I ask the breeders when I talk to them about their pups for sale? I want this dog to be a house companion, but am hoping to be able to pheasant/grouse hunt a little also.

Thanks in advance.

fasternu,

Sorry about your loss. When I lost my last dog, I had the same question as your #1 question. I had friends tell me to wait and I had friends tell me to get another one. I didn't know if I was ready for another dog either. I found myself looking around for what kind of dog I would want next time. After only a couple of weeks I found myself with a little Lab buddy. For myself it did help alot. Take all the pain away, No, but helped ease it. Having a new pup in the house doing goofy things and making me laugh was good therepy for me, but that's just me.

Best wishes in what ever you decide.

"hooks"

I will second that. When my lab died almost two years ago I thought it might be best to wait, go through the grieving process, but about a month later I had new lab puppy 7 weeks old.

I made an easier transition for our family having a VERY time consuming puppy ruling the house. It did ease the pain for us. The toughest time for me was coming home and not having our best friend greeting us at the door. There is something about a dogs unbridled devotion that makes your troubles melt away when that tail is wagging and somebody is so happy you are home.

As dog owners we all feel your pain and know how hard it is to get past losing a devoted family member. All of us hope the best for you and your family.

My advice is to get back in the saddle sooner rather than later. Just make sure you pick a quality breeding instead of getting a pup from the first litter you come across.

I lost my first pup when she was 8 months of age. She had many health problems. It hurt alot to put that little dog down but it was the right thing to do. The breeder offered to replace her with his pick of the litter. That got us out of the doldrums and we had a nice energetic pup to keep us busy and keep our minds off our deceased pup.

gspman

I agree with what everyone has said. You should look for a new pup. I know that it is a hard think to do but after a while the new pup will excite happiness in you.

When looking for a pup I would consider looking for a certified eye and hip dog. If you are planing on it being in the house i would look for certain bloodlines that exibit a great sense of when it is hunting time and inside the house they are as calm as could be. The calmest labs I have seen are British Black labs they are a little spendy but well worth it in the long run. Whats a couple hundred more worth when considering a companion. Other than that I have a Chocolate that is bred from Nan-Dools Elwood Blues bloodlines they are very calm and incredibly smart.

Just let me know if I can help anymore.

Dbl your dog looks like a Elwood chocolate.

It's real easy to grab the 1st ad, run out and buy a pup. I would definitley take time to research some breeders and breedings. Talk to them and let them know what style of dog you are looking for. Disposition, energy level, size and most importantly clearances for inherited disorders.

It's easy to sell pups to families that come over to look at them, all pups are cute, but not all are created equal. It is a long term investment when you buy your dog, make sure you get what you are looking for. There will always be another breeding right around the corner... so take a little time and check around... this ad may be the exact fit for you, but if it's not, look some more. I'd start with some web searches on local breeders and maybe the golden retriever club. Watch lines that are predominantly show, but you may also want to reconsider one that is entirley trial lines... but again I'll re-iterate, with all the inherited disorders in retrievers (especially goldens) I'd make sure at least 2 generations of the pedigree are cleared, and make sure they provide the certificates for the parents.

Good Luck!

Ken

I agree with you Labs4me all pups are definatly cute but not created equal. You realize how much of a difference the good gentics make in your dog.

Also if you are set on getting a Golden my trainer will be having a litter that he flew his female to Denmark to be bred by one of the top goldens in Europe.

If you want more information let me now and I will email you some info. I believe they are both certified.

Matt

Thanks all for the advice. Yes, we are set on getting another Golden. I do feel better about the thought of another pooch running our house. However, what should I be asking breeders about their dogs? I have never bought a puppy before, just "rescued" them after they were grown up. I know that goldens have issues with their eyes and hips, but what do I ask about/look for so I don't buy from that "Bad Batch" of puppies?

OFA certificates on hips and elbows, CERF certificate on eyes, You definitley want to see these as a minimum on both parents and see the ratings for all 4 grandparents. 3 generations is even better. Also be up front and ask about allergies (very prevelent in Goldens), hot spots, epilepsie, and OCD (again very prevelent). You will be taking your breeders word, as these do not carry a cleareance certificate, but most will not lie about things if asked. "I don't know" or "not that I'm aware of", do not equate to answers involving a clean breeding. You may get lucky and get a "clean" pup, but myself, I wouldn't risk it. In the end if you are the least bit apprehensive move on. Use your gut, it will probably be right 9 times out of ten....

Good Luck!

Ken

If you like I can put you in touch with a guy that breeds goldens. His dogs are very expensive (1500.00 a pup) but even if thats not in the budget, he may have some advice about what to look for in a new pup or breeder. Drop me an email, and I can forward his number to you. Good luck with the new addition and again sorry to hear of your friends passing.

[email protected]

Nope, not a chocolate but a British retriever, black lab. Just as you described him your first post, calm disposition, easy around the house, a spark plug in the field.

Fasternu,

I read your post and it sounds like a replay of our experience last November. We too lost our beloved Golden, and I was the one taking it the hardest. I was also the one who was standoffish about getting another dog right away, but the wife wanted to, so we did a little research and settled on a yellow lab from (what looks like) good lineage.

For us (or... mostly me) it was hands down the best decision. Like someone else said, it does not eliminate, but eases the pain.

If you do get a pup, get ready, we had forgotten what it was like with one around!!

Good luck from someone who has been in your shoes!

Tom

Lost a Golden to cancer about this time of year 5 yrs ago. We knew we'd get another one, but we waited till April, a lot easier to train when the weather is decent outside. Good luck with your search.

We also lost our Golden to cancer (kidneys) two years ago. We then went and picked out a chocolate lab pup two weeks later. So within the month we had to start puppy training all over. Had forgotten what it was like but it was the best thing we could have done!!!! Good luck and sorry for your loss. I know your pain.

Its tough...I know it was tough on my kids and me, we lost our dog buddy 2 days after Christmas (car accident) up at my folks place in Little Falls, Mn.

We returned home to Colorado and after a few weeks I asked the kids are you ready for a new puppy? Not a replacement a new puppy, they answered yes. I felt our dog Buddy had brought us so much joy that our new pup could and would bring us fun also, well its been 4 weeks and its been good all the way around. Go for it!

It took me years to get buddy after another dog of mine passed (Max). But this was before the kids where born.

Everbodies different and you'll know when it feels right.

I bought a German Shorthair (mom) and German WireHair (dad) pup, being mixed they only wanted $100. for the pups. I want it for pheasant and upland bird hunting, yup I want to get back to Mn. and hunt partridge with it, but there a pretty good dog for ducks and geese also if trained right.

Good luck! Paul cool.gif

Hey guy, there's some German shorthair pups for sale for $300 up in your area, see the pups for sale section...

I know you pain man. good luck. cool.gif