• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What Happened?

The Grebe

Last week end, Saturday to be exact, we went up fishing out of Hunters Resort. Even though the cold front had moved in, we decided to give it a shot...gotta fish when you can.

We got into some nice ones and had a he11 of a good time doing it, even though it was cold and windy.

Yesterday, 2/8, I finally talked my wife into going fishing with me up to Mille Lacs...loaded up enough supplies and equipment to make an assault on mount Everest and headed up.

We went right to the same spot...opened up 12 of the old hole and 10 new ones, starting from 27 feet and going out to 32 feet.

We set the house right on the transition between rock and mud in about 28 feet and thats where my wife stayed.

I worked from the 27 feet rocks, out to the 32 feet mud, a sting of hole that encompassed the length of about 2 city blocks I would guess? I worked from one end to the other at least 10 times throughout the day!

I pounded minnows, heads, waxies, red euros and even a special bait I thought might work. We tried different colors, different sizes, plain hook, you name it! The fish were on the vex, but they just would not hit?

We stayed from about noon until 6:30 and pulled the plug. Our catch for that time...one 8 inch walleye and one 8 inch perch.

If catching fish were the only reason for going fishing, yesterdays adventure wouldn't have won to many people over, thats for sure! I guess I had to look at it philosofically

(sp) (Thats a big word..almost bit my tongue off!) These fishless tips make one appreciate the opposite that much more!

Yeah, she had a different take on it then I did..."That's fishing! If we don't get em this time, maybe we'll get em next time." She will go again.

i was up yesterday too. fished 35fow off the west edge of 9 mile from about 9:30 to 3:00. saw 5 walleyes and a few jumbos on the camera but none would bite. i did pull up a 8-1/2" & 9" perch to get an idea of size on the camera...they were returned unharmed. at 3:00 i moved to the top edge of the reef, 25fow. at 5:30 i had a bite like a big perch bite, but missed it when i set the hook. there were 5 more lookers until 6:30. from 6:30 to 9:30 i had one looker come in per hour...very slow. however, there was about a half hour when i was the only person on 9 mile. that was cool, just about in the middle of the lake, it was snowing and sooo quiet. too bad the fish didnt cooperate...lol.

best regards,

minnesotatuff

I'll tell ya, you have to be Minnesota tenacious to hang in there when the bite is so funky! There was a report down here that "They are getting Perch anywhere you fish on the lake!" They were biting good a little earlier, no doubt, but they certainly didn't climb out of the holes and surrender! We'er going up again on Thur.

forgot to mention...saw a school of tulibies swim thru on the camera in 35fow. there must of been a couple of dozen of them. it was really cool! there was hardly a time when there wasnt a perch or three or six on the camera. sometimes there were as many as a dozen and it was consistent thru out the day.

regards,

minnesotatuff