• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Going to give blue lake a try this evening. Should be able to get out there at about 7:00pm. Last i heard was that they were getting them in 24' of water on small minnows. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

I might be out as well....Last week there was a good day bite but what I heard from others small on size. What I found were some nice size sunnies and a few crappies at sundown in about 22-24' of water....The graph was lit like a x-mas tree but they were not aggressive. The ones that I did hook into I was using a spring bobber and they would hardly move my line. A few bit on a bobber that was set at water level but the bait of choice was the waxxie I'd say 4-1 over the minnow!! Crappies were 8 inches but I did land a few sunnies 8 in and one 9 incher... GOOD LUCK and let me know how ya do!!

Blue Lake is east of Zimmerman like stated off cty rd 28 on the north side 28 splits blue and baxter. Baxter to the north and Blue is on the south side of 28. The other landing is take cty rd 4 east (zimmerman) to cty rd 50 north to Tiger St and there is a access off the first left (?) right next to the summer trailer park. As for structure there is a sunken island out on the other side of the lake from the ramp by the trailer park. There is usually a trail right to that area. Limited parking there. The rest of the lake I am not to sure but from the other access off 28/blue lake dr. Alot of houses gather at the point or along the east shore. Not sure what the structure is there but they are in that area every year. I myself go where there is no one and search for the fish that have not been pressured.. Good Luck and with this snow flying I might wait till tomarrow or Saturday to try out there again. But if any of you go out let me know how you do.

Oh by the way the last time I went to Blue last Thursday the spot I was on I would say a good 10-12 at least solid ice with 1-2 milky stuff on top but since then it has been cold so I am sure it has gained a little since then. As of Thurs the 2nd there were snomobiles and 4-wheelers on the lake but not a single vehicle. That could change but you will still see me huff it for another week or so of cold weather.

Thanks for the info ozzie. I'll be sure to post a report later this eve or tomorrow am. I'll get a measurement on the ice thickness also. As far as structure on blue, there are 4 sunken islands. One in the southern most part of the lake, one on the west side of the lake across from the cement access, and two strait south of the dirt access before the two points. There is also a rock pile (or a bunch of cinder blocks as i have been told) that tops off at 19' and is surrounded by 24'. I haven't gotten a camera to see what is really down there but it definantly is there and it holds fish. More so when there is alot of pressure on the lake. Which we haven't had this year. I have caught mainly crappies there, 10" plus crappies with ocassional 12"s, along with a few keeper walleyes here and there. It's a fun little lake close to home and usually good for a meal of fish ounce in a while. However it sees it's fair share of people when conditions permit, especially during open water.

Wow I have only known about the one sunken island now I will have to actually look at a map and see what the structure actually is!!!! This is interesting cause this would be the explanation for the houses in those areas!!! Sounds like you fish this piece of water a little panfried it is only 2-3 miles from my house so I plan to fish it more. Hopefully in the spring when the ice goes out but untill then I will hit it more than a few more times this winter I hope!!! Good Luck and thanks for the added info!!!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Ya know blue is know for crappies you can see through, but it does have some nice fish in it. Just think if you could get some people to let them little guys grow up hmmmmmmmm. Well I live just 7 minutes from blue so it is close but sure would be nice if people would be a little more picky with the fish they kept. Look around though there are some other little lakes around that have some bigger fish and dont get the pressure that blue does. I will be headed to Mille Lacs tomorrow morning for perch and eyes during the day and Crappies with my cousin at night.

Ihave caught some monster pannies out there and I agree on letting em go, all the big bulls I catch out there are still swimming, Theres more sunken Islands then whats on the lake maps also, I know of one more thats to the south of the one across from the concrete access, Havent ever located the pile of cinder blocks though.... when your out there please remember selective harvest for those big pannies, we used to be able to go out there and catch those bulls all day now there not so frequent!

Ozzie, the map i have of blue shows 3 of the 4 islands. Ironically the one that it does not show is the one you know about already. I have lived up here for 5 years now and have spent some time fishing on blue, mainly because it is close, but the fishing can be quite good at times. Spring crappie fishing can be very good if you are there at the right time. I had a day out there 2 years ago when a friend and i each caught our limit of 10" plus crappies and 2 perch that were around 12inches, (which really surprised me), and a 6 pound bass that i released. So there are some descent sized fish in there or at least there was then. Maybe it was just a strong year class, but none the less the lake has potential. Yes that would be nice if more people would let the 8 inchers go but thats like asking hunters to pass on small bucks. It just won't happen, people who can only get out ounce in awhile tend to take what they can get. I guess you can't blame them for that. Plus a lot of people who fish these lakes around here are from the cities and after driving an hour or so they don't want to go home empty handed. So in turn we have to drive an hour or so north of here to find better quality fish i guess. I think the bigger problem is people keeping a limit every time they go out. (unless they have already eaten there last limit of course) Don't get me wrong there can be some quality fishing around here you just have to find those out of the way lakes or catch one of the local lakes on a good year. But whatever you do, don't say anything, (except to me of course ha! ha!) look what happened to Joes lake in cambridge. In 5 years i have never seen anyone fish that lake, then someone did and caught some 14" to 16" walleyes and next thing there were 200+ people on the lake. Absolutely amazing how fast word travels. Needless to say that lake is pretty much done. Not a big deal it was only a dnr stock pond but it is a classic example of what can happen.

I have been on Blue and Baxter and seen people keeping 6 inch crappies and sunnies under 5 inches and they keep piles of them. I like to eat fish too but when are they to small. I try dont take just enough fish for my dinner and maybe if my grandparents. I know some people say they can go catch their own but they at over 80 and ice fishin is not possible for them anymore. Rat i agree toss them big bulls back and eat the females. Baxter runs on a 5 year swing it seems about them time it takes them fish to recover after a million people fish the snot out of it.

shoot it has been almost 10 years not but Elk lake was being stocked with walleyes and the locals went and kept every walleye because they did not want the Indians to have them it was so sad to see 9 inch eyes being taken home.

Finally made it onto the lake at about 8:00pm. My wife got hung up in trafiic, we did just have the storm of the century you know. Anyways, I decided to work the area between the two points. I figured everything kind of gets pinched down there and i could work the area thoroughly. I started in the 30' hole then worked up the point on the west side to about 8', then i headed north towards the sunken island to about 12', there i managed to get a couple of 8" gills which I let go because it was already obvious that it was going to be a slow night. From there i worked over to the point on the east side and quit when i got to the plowed road. Very, Very, slow. Not even much showing on the vex. I managed a few 8" crappies which i also let go, but the rest were dinks and all were hard to come by. I caught all my fish on a #10 Rat Finkee tipped with a wax worm. I tried all sorts of other things, no luck. I should have known it was going to be slow seeing as i was the only one on the lake. The next clue was the fishes reaction to my presentation. Usually if they are hungry they will race right to the bait and at least check it out and if they don't take it you just switch to something else. Not the case last night, most of the fish wouldn't even check it out and would actually shy away from it when i stuck it in there face. So, thats about it for my 4th whole outing this year. Pretty sad. It never used to be this hard, maybe I forgot how to fish. Also i fished until 12:30am. Oh, and there is about 15" of ice, of which 2" to 3" is that milky white porous looking ice. There were quite a few tire tracks on the ice from vehicles also. Good luck to all who make it out there this weekend.

Thanks for the report panfried!! I think if I am by myself I will be out an about Blue on Saturday in my fish trap pro if you are out stop by and say hi!! The spot I have been going to out there has been constant fish on the graph so I hope that continues and I can pull a few more out!!! I do agree that lakes like Blue you can't continually go and keep a limit of nice sunnies or crappies and expect the good fishing to last but I only keep maybe 4 sunnies for a nice meal the following nite.....I hate frozen fish.... Anyways thanks for the report.... cool.gif

Ditto on the good report panfried. Sound like anough ice to drive a CJ7 Jeep.I should get my butt out there this weekend.

hello, i have never tried blue before and was thinking about checking it out saturday, was just wondering if there are any northerns out there in the lake worth trying for as well. thanks for any info

blue has a bunch of the toothy critters in it. my personnel best is a 16 lbs that went almost 40 inches. mid summer at dusk. as for the islands i believe there are three on the north side of the lake the two that you cant miss but the third to the north of the school bus thats out on the ice. we pull some nice eyes off that hump all summer long. as for the crappies i havent seen one that pushes the 10 inch mark for a couple of years.