• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Have people been driving on Fish much lately? I would like to head out there but don't know if I should bring the sled or not. I have been on Island and found plenty of ice there so I am assuming travel on Fish should be ok. Can anyone shed some more light on the subject? Thanks!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Stay clear of the damm and bridge and you should be fine.

Very little snow and no slush.

People driving 4 by 4's all over the place. We drove from 1 end to the other on Sat. Like ST said stay away from the bridge and dam and you should be fine. No ice is safe ice though so use caution as always.

We will be up there tomorrow.

What about getting a car on and off the ice.

Been thinking about making a Duluth run in the next few weeks and was wondering about driving a car out on Fish Lake. Sounds like the ice is plenty safe but I am always concerned about getting stuck either getting on and off the ice or out is snow on the lake.

I have been out on Mille Lacs more this year so I haven't made the trip this year and would like to.

Is the dam access ok to start from? Or is High Banks the best? Thanks for all the information so far. I heard a few crappies are being caught out in the main basin...

If you go out of the dam stay to your left until away from the dam area. Lots of guys doing it. As far as a car I wouldnt go off the road and even the roads are RUFF in spots.

Snow depth wouldn't be a problem if you were driving a car but the areas that had slush froze, some of those areas are rutted.

With the safe ice credo in mind... Have folks been driving on Island & can a truck access from the boat launch on Island Lake Da.m Rd. near Minnowetts?

Thanks -CLoma

I wouldn't recommend driving on island if you haven't had prior expercence on the lake. just a thought.

Thanks UMD.

I'm hoping to get anwsers to my original Q? I'm not a real go-getter on Ice & dangerous driving, I Don't Know, just wondering if there is any activity over there.

Anyone else seen anything?

-Thanks -CLoma

You won't see much if any fishing activity during the winter on Island. As far as the MPL landing on the west end, I don't know of its open and none of the landings are plowed but the lack of snow and a 4x4 you should be able to get through. Out of all the reservoirs, Island lakes water level fluctuates the most. You'll want to stay clear of areas that were submerged when froze but now are above water because the lake level dropped. Those spots can have hollow areas.

The landing on the east end is notorious for having open water close to shore. The shore along Sunset Harbor is another area that can have open water. Of coarse the mouth bridge and dam are areas not to drive by.

Thanks ST. I've never seen Winter activity from there that wasn't local, still I don't understand the lake well enough. I had to ask, Just wanted to know if Isle. had any activity from that spot.

I'll stay on Fish if I decide to drive out Sat...

Much Appreciated -Cloma

Guys driving out of the club access tonight and driving across the lake. They made it but I have no idea how much ice out in the middle of the east side. A lot of monkey see monkey do out there. Do your homework and be safe. Just because 1 or 2 trucks made it out there doenst make it safe.

Just thought I would let everyone know that I found good ice all over the main basin of fish this weekend. I went out off the dam with a full size 4x4. I fished it pretty hard and found a few with emphasis on few. Had a good time even though fishing was slow. Hope some of you were more successful...

• 2 weeks later...

How's the conditions out there? Can you still get around with a truck after all the snow we got? I'm hoping to get out this week if it's still drivable. Thanks

Kingr - I was out Sat. and drove all over the lake with 4 wheel drive. Snow is fairly deep, but light and easy to plow through. Just need to be careful around spots where perms used to be. Easy to get hung up on some of the old hard banks that are now snow covered. Tim at Highbanks said he had to pull the creel surveyor's truck off of a spot like that and he has the full size Dodge with pretty good clearance. But like I said I was all over with a Jeep Cherokee with no trouble just keep your eyes open.