• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gunflint Trail in Late Feb.

I'm heading to the GF trail at Hungry Jack Lake the last weekend in Feb. I have not been there in the winter and would like to know if anyone has suggestions for trail rides and the best area lakes for lake trout fishing. (We will be doing a 50-50 fishing - sledding weekend.)

This will be my first attempt at lakers so any tips would be helpful. I have a vex and plan on using tube baits. What depths should I be looking for 'em? Will they typically be off of underwater ridges or out in the open? Any advise is welcome.

Look to the reef areas. Sahrp breaks. The trout will be anywhere in the winter. The people at the lodge can direct you toward more spots. I would try the areas around reefs and sunken islands. The tubes will work good. White is my favorite color. You got the vex so just move around. Any sled trail will be sic right now. Lots of snow. Let it rip.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The resort your staying at should have trail maps.

Some lakes to try are Gunflint, Mayhew, Birch, Bearskin, Greenwood Kemo and Flour plus a ton of designated stream trout lakes. Many of these are accessible along the trail or just off forest roads. It be fun to combine a day of riding and lake hopping.

If I were staying at Hungry Jack, I wouldn't leave without spending some time on Moss. I've got a meeting tomorrow with some of the locals and I should get some updated info.

We are staying at Hungry Jack Lodge. I look forward to any reports the locals might have. Thanks.

Did well on Seagull last weekend. Sharp breaks adjacent to the deepest water in the lake, jigged small chartruse tipped with a minnow head. Found ours in 42-50ft but they could be anywhere.

Good luck!

Give us a report

The laker bite is on at Gunflint lake. Ice is anywhere from 8 to 12 inches. Slush problem is clearing up nicely. Good luck.

Gunflint, any idea what the ice is like on Sag? Hoping to head into cache bay area around the first weekend of March.

I asked but nobody that I talked to has heard much about Sag yet. The good news is that the ice on the lakes around here has been improving considerably as of late. If I hear anything on Sag in the next few weeks I'll post it.

i hit sag yesterday. there's about 12" of ice and we didint see any slush.the bite was a little slow, i caught a 3 lb laker. the game warden stopped by and said a group of three limited out on friday.(lake trout)

I was spearing on a gunflint area lake yesterday. The ice was at least 12". No slush, which is in contrast to a month ago when we encountered a lot of it.

I had an airplane buzz me. From inside the house it sounded like he was dropping down out of the clouds for a ski landing, then hit the power, and pulled up and away from my darkhouse at the last minute. Needless to say it was a very tense moment!

I was hoping to see the game warden - I used to live in the area and hunted and fished every weekend and was never checked. I was checked once by the Canadian immigration for a remote lakes border crossing permit (RABC) out in the middle of Mountain lake one fine day a few years ago, during the middle of the week without another soul around for miles.

That plane has been buzzing us the last couple of days when we're flooding the rink. Might have to make a call to Homeland Security. Could be a spy. wink.gif

me and illtakewhaticanget hit the gunflint again this weekend and the ice was great, about 16 in on one lake and 20 on the other. fishing was slower than previous trips but we ended up with 11 iced lakers over two days and lost a few more. nothing huge with the majority of the fish falling in the 18-22 inch range with a couple bigger and a couple smaller. gorgeous weekend to be out, snowmobile trails look in top form as well if anyone was wondering.

I hope he is not spying on our favorite fishing holes!

Isn't there a law about how close you can fly to people? From the sound of things from in my house, this guy was very close!

I know that there's a altitude that they're suppose to stay above in the BDUB. I can't remember if it's 4000 or 10,000 feet. Either way he's been ignoring it.

I hope he dosen't buzz the wrong guys secret spot. Might get a hole or two in his plane. smirk.gif

Glad to see you guys are finding some lakers. I have been getting some nice perch from a secret lake. Just caught beaver number 222. Good prices this year finaly. See you on the ice.

Yeah we've done fairly well so far this season, but we just can't seem to find that monster that we've been looking for...

Protrapper, Good job on the beaver! There seem to be a lot of them around. Secret lake for perch eh? It wouldn't be on the east end would it? I can think of another perch lake up by the trout lake resort. Don't worry I am not looking for a lake name, just some info to trigger my own memories of all the lakes I know up there.

Do you guys really fish for perch up there with all the amazing trout fishing nearby, or are you just pulling my lariat confused.gif

It is nice to have a variety of fish for eating, which is just one of the things that makes fishing up there so enjoyable. You can only eat trout, or any type of fish for so long before you feel like trying something different. I would take perch for eating over just about any other type of fish - and those big perch are a thing of beauty to look at. Trout are pretty nice to eat and look at too - but not the only fish worth targeting grin.gif

Hey Gunflint... with the coldfront coming in right about the time I will be hitting Gunflint Lake (staying at Gunflint Pines) on Thurs afternoon, do you have any suggestions for depth / presentation? Wondering if you have suggestions for reacting to this cold front coming in...or is this not necessarily any big deal with the trout in your experience? Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

barracuda,

I'm not the one to be asking about fishing the hard water because I don't. Alot of the guys here should be able to help. One of the most knowledgeable fisherman as far as gunflint lake goes is Bob at the pines. He knows the lake better than anyone. If you call him ahead of time he could tell you what's working right now. I do know that ice conditions are good and I've heard from another fishing buddy that the splake, rainbows, and brookies have all been active this week on area lakes. Good luck.

Yup, I fish perch up here and crappies and sunfish. Secret lakes I would never share grin.gif I get my fill of guiding for trout flyfishing from float tubes in the summer months. But I do hit them on ice also. We hike or take sleds back into some remote and not so remote spots. I did catch a 1 lb. 14 oz. out of Trout Lake about 5 years ago trolling for bows. But I have caught bigger. Good fishing.

Thanks for the info Gunflint... nice to know the guy we've been listening to for the past several years (Bob) has a good rep. Guess our past success maybe wasn't just blind luck. smile.gif We'll post our results next week.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from the GF Trail last night. We stayed at Hungry Jack Lodge and had a great time. My goal for the weekend was to catch my first lake trout. We hit Moss Lake with Gunflint's suggestion and we were not disappointed (after some work). We got out Saturday morning and fished tube jigs, chubby darters, airplane jigs and spoons in two areas of the lake and our group of 3 got only 1 in 6 hours (I was shut out) . The fish would show up on the Vex in 30 FOW but we could not get them to bite. Then my buddy tied on a small hand made jig with some buck tail on it and he caught 2 in our last hour of fishing. The next day all 3 of us switched to the small buck tail jigs. The same guy that caught all three the day before got 3 in our first half hour. All of the fish were about 15”-16”, not very big but the guy that was catching them was having a blast. At this point I was getting frustrated. Same jigging action, same lures, and same line but somehow he was catching all the fish. Then it happened, I was in the middle of jigging daze and bam! I was hooked into my first laker! What a rush. It’s such a blast to see how they zig and zag under the ice. Per pound, these guys fight harder under the ice then any other fish I’ve ever caught. I thought I had a monster on but as I got him up to the hole he was about the same as all the others. I can’t imagine what it would be like to hook into a 10+ lb. Laker. That was my only fish of the weekend but it was well worth the trip. Now that I’ve accomplished my goal of catching my first laker, I have to get a 10 pounder. My name is Jon and I am a lakerholic. For the weekend we ended up catching 9. One guy got 8, I got 1, and one got shut out. We will be back next year with more experience and a bigger group looking for bigger fish.

Gunflint, I think I might have talked to you Sunday on Moss. Was that you on the red sled with the portable behind?

I'm glad you guys had a good time and caught some fish. It wasn't me on sunday. I don't fish the hardwater because I'm busy with skiers all winter at one of the other lodges.

Lakers are great fun to catch. Sounds like we caught a laker fisherman as well. grin.gif

Was he towing a purple otter behind him? We talked to a guy on a red polaris (i think) when we were on moss, and he seemed to be pretty knowledgeable about the area. He couldn't seem to find any bigger fish that day though. Glad to see you guys caught some fish, when we were out on moss we had a lot of little fish coming in- you could watch them down the hole circling the bait, but those little 10-12 inchers were kinda hard to hook. We got a few eaters out of there though, and had a great time.

I was out on Moss the weekend of the 18th and 19th and caught a bunch of the 12 inchers. It was almost like perch fishing for a little while, they would just attack my spoon as soon as I could get it to the bottom. We did manage to get one good one on the ice as well. It was a great weekend even though it was frigid.

Gunflint, how are the ice conditions after the snow this weekend? Any slush?? I am heading up to Sag on friday.

Thanks! D