• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I want to drive bald eagle so bad

I would like to get out to s decent spot on Bald Eagle for both crappies and walleyes. I know that the best spots are by cigar island, but I am still nervous to drive me jeep grand cherokee out. are there any decent spots that are walkable. If you do not want to give away the spot I understand, but if you would like to help a brother out, you can reach me at [email protected]

On the lakemaster software it's .8 mile if you take the shortest route from the public access to the NW corner of the island. 8/10ths isn't that far, especially with the little snow fall we have. Look at it this way, there aren't many people that will do it so you probably won't have much competition out there.

well i do know the walk will be worth at least a small snack of crappies. Haven't had the motivation to walk lately. I seem to be the only guy not catching much. I have been out 10 times this year and have 4 walleye, 14 inches longest, and 20 crappie, 10 inches the biggest. Now I have been targeting walley spots not large school crappie spots. Is this a bad year or is this normal???

Mike,

It's not a bad walk at all.I had my little ones out there a week ago,if they can make the walk out there any one of us should be able to.The part that sucked was that after about 2 hours out there they were ready to go back home!!:) Lol!!

the walk isn't that bad, I was out there last weekend and with the snow packed down on the ice from the snowmobiles it made for a nice walk. the fishing on the other hand was not so great. I think we had one flag go but no hook up, and nothing for crappies not even a bite.

Pulling a Jeep Cherokee straight up from 20' would take alot more effort than a half mile walk back to it at 11PM!!!!

The metro is shot for driving on this year in a car or truck. I hope that we are all smart enough to realize that by now.

SFBOY,How much ice did you MEASURE on the lakes you've been on recently? And by recently I mean today, not last week.

thanks guys, know it is the right thing, just needed some reenforcement. Good luck before the season ends. ONLY 2.5 MORE WEEKS!!!!

Havent been out in a week and a half and there was 7" then on the ruler. If you say there is enough to drive on the lakes now, have at it. To me, its like betting $1,000 to win $1; too risky for me. My creepers an I will just have to drag out the shack for the rest of the year. Good luck with that.

Just curious about the actual thicknesses. I was parking on West metro lakes about 3 weeks ago when I measured 12 inches of ice. We had about 4 warm days since then and the rest have been cold, so I imagine things have gotten thicker. I haven't been back to those spots and I haven't measured so I won't say what they are now.

You're right that it is not good to go out on 7" of ice. I just didn't imagine that any lake had that little ice on it just over a week ago. I guess bald eagle doesn't freeze as fast as most lakes. Come on over to the western metro if you want to find some thicker ice.

On the same note. Can anyone give some current ice reports? Has Tonka hit 14"?

I just got of Bald Eagle an hour ago. I was towards the west side of the island and had 12". I measured using the ruler on my ice scoop. 9" was clear, 3 were white. Two perch, and nothing else.

BTW the lake is still closed to cars and trucks as posted by the Sherrif as of 5:00PM Friday Feb 10.

Thanks H2Ofowlr for the report. I drove out on Tonka tonight. I measured 15.5 inches everywhere I drilled holes. Only 2-3 inches was cloudy.

One thing for everyone to keep in mind. I saw a report by the DNR stating that because this has been such a crappy winter for ice that you actually need TWICE the normal thickness to be safe.So in a NORMAL year where you would need 8"- 12" for cars or small trucks,this year there should be 16" - 24" to be safe. There were cars going in up near Walker Mn where it should definately be safe to drive by now. Be smart,stay safe. Good fishing all.