• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

late 80s early 90s johnson problems

walleye_guy18

Question

hi all, last year on my second to last fishing trip I was starting my motor (johnson 50hp counsel steer, I think it is an 89) and I was pushing up on the choke and all of the sudden the motor started reving at a very high RPM. I immidiatly shut of the motor. The next time I went to start it the choke had no tension at all and this time the motor acted normally. The choke as always been really loose and hasn't ever made much of a difference unless it was pushed up very hard to the very top. Do you guys think that a spring or cable let loose inside the throttle box? any suggestions would be great.

12 answers to this question

Your motor does not have a cable choke, it's electric, you have to push ignition key inward while cranking to activate choke.

I believe what you mean is the "idle lever" on top of remote.

That cannot be adjusted, it controls the standard throttle cable to motor. The more you lift it, the more the motor will rev up, it's a manual idle control to keep motor running when it's cold. It's normal to increase engine speed coinsiderably, that's what's designed for.

yeah sorry about that you are right it is the idle control not the choke my fault. Something must be wrong with it though because it doesn't do anything anymore. No mater how far up you push it the idle speed doesn't increase at all.

No problem, the lever is part of the throttle for your motor. Can you put motor in gear with the lever lifted up ? Does main lever accelerate right away after you put it in gear ?

What I am trying to get to is maybe it's just a cable adjustment inside motor compartment. If these symptoms are not as I described then you might have to open remote, but be careful they are NOT "user friendly" and have lots of parts inside, take pictures of it when opened, so you know wheere everything goes.

Like Val said, take pictures or draw a diagram of the inside of the remote, there are a kot of pieces in there, if you don;t, it could end up being your worst nitemare. wink.gif

Quote:

Like Val said, take pictures or draw a diagram of the inside of the remote, there are a kot of pieces in there, if you don;t, it could end up being your worst nitemare.
wink.gif

You've done that, didn't ya.....!!! ME TOOOO !!!!

I learned about them...the hard way.

valv,

Im not sure if I can put the motor in gear when the lever is lifted up but I do know that I can lift the lever up once the motor is in gear (well at least for forward, I have never tried it in reverse). When I put the motor in gear it does start accelerating as soon as I begin to increase throttle. The only time I am noticing a problem would be like if I was just starting it on the trailer and was letting the motor warm up, if I lift the high idle lever up it doesn't have any tension and no matter how far up I lift it, it doesn't increase the RPM's at all.

after reading your guys posts I sure hope I dont have to take apart the throttle box, it sounds like you guys had enough fun with that for all of us hear at FM grin.gif

Then it might be broken, but you still want to be sure the cable is well adjusted inside motor cowl.

If you need to fix it efgh will be very happy to help you ..... grin.gif

Once you take one apart, they aren;t so bad, I am moving to Timbucktoo tonite, so will be very hard to get ahold of. wink.gif

Quote:

Once you take one apart, they aren;t so bad, I am moving to Timbucktoo tonite, so will be very hard to get ahold of.
wink.gif

Very wise move... I'm coming too wink.gif

well I just so happen to live in timbucktoo, wow that is so nice of you guys to come all the way over to my house and help me fix my motor, people sure are great here at FM!!!! grin.gif

Quote:

well I just so happen to live in timbucktoo, wow that is so nice of you guys to come all the way over to my house and help me fix my motor, people sure are great here at FM!!!!
grin.gif

LOL... grin.gif

Now joking aside, if you need some parts, I might be able to see if I have something here, I do have few dismantled remotes, you can email me a picture and I'll let you know if I have it.

hey valv thanks a lot, I will keep you in mind once I get the courage to tackle that project.