• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

summer river fishing

What kind of smallies and muskie does the river around here hold? I have heard that the stretch between Ripley and Little Falls is the best, but I would like to stay around here. Also how safe is it to navigate a boat on the water? I know it is early, but never too early!!

I would say from Little Falls to Fort Ripley is better for bass and Fort Ripley to Brainerd better for muskie.

Hey there Shamalex72!!! Remeber me???? Anyways that net worked great!!! Got to net 5 muskies in it the last 3 times i went out.

Now about the river. We tried with a 17 foot boat with a 90 horse in the back and it was just about impossible getting back to the access. I think the river was low at the time but i really dont know. We launched at Fort Ripley. There was no bass to be seen and had one muskie follow that was real big but other then that it was a waste of a half a day. But I would like to try it again with a smaller boat this summer.

Hey shamalex, how far is the drive from Lake alexander to Mille Lacs????? I think im gonna try it this summer. I want to catch a 50 and i dont think alex is the lake to do it on, but you never know. Whats the biggest youve seen on that lake????

Talk to u later,

Brian

I guess it would be about an hour and a half drive. There are some 50's swimming around in Alex, I've seen some real nice ones.

HPIM1163.jpgThis one should be a fifty this coming year. Hopefully I can catch it this time. grin.gif

O yeah i forgot about that one. Ill be looking for it this summer. Hopefully someone doesnt catch it and keep it. I hear a lot of people do that on alex which is just terrible!!!!! I hope I never see someone do that.

Anyways have you had any success using top water lures during the early part of the year, like June or early July???? Thats all im gonna use on that lake now. I just gotta figure out how to catch fish in the middle of the day now there!!!!

Good fishing

I have seen plenty of 40inchers on Alex - never a 50. I have always had pretty good luck there. Mile Lacs in the Holy Grail. There are world class fish in there.

In regards to Alex and guys keeping muskies, had one local see us boat about a 45"er one time and then trolled over and ask if we "stuck" it (in the belly I presume)? We just said no and kept fishing, didn't want to ruin the excitement by getting confrontational with some yeahwho. Even though they eat all the walleye's. confused.gif

There are some big girls in there, we had one hooked boatside two falls ago that had to be 53" no lie. 47 is the biggest we've caught in there.

Your're right about Mille Lac, record class fish in there.

47 is my best there too. I think this summer there will be a lot of 48 or so incher cuz i caught 4 that were around 43-44 inches!!! Its a good lake but you have to fish different times of the day when nobody is out there. Like before sun up and after dark. Caught all my fish on one lure there last summer. Cant tell the lure but it was hot, hot, HOT. Should have had at least 15 in about 3 weeks on that lure but it took me awhile to learn when to set the hook!!! I stay on Fishtrap every weekend so maybe ill see u guys out there!!!

Brian

Hmmm, learn whe to set the hook huh? That narrows it down quite a bit. It sucks dad sold the place up there after 30 years, I have fished that lake since I was 5 and I love it. Muskie fishing pressure has greatly increased over the last 5 years or so, used to be the only guys fishing muskies some days, now it's rare. My key is to fish places that nobody else fishes, I have some killer spots that I never see anyone on. Lots of guys fish the same obvious structure. I don't get up there much anymore without the place, sometimes stay at the motel across from the marine dealer that is attached to the liquor store.

I know a couple that live on Fishtrap but I think they sold their house and moved down near me.

There are some definate "hot" lures that out produce others any day of the week on that lake. I have had some great luck trolling the entire weedline on the north side of the lake. Lazy, but great way to cover a lot of water. Are there any other lakes with Muskie in them around Brainerd/Nisswa that produce fish?

Unfortunately, there's no "lakes" in the Brainerd/Nisswa area with muskies. Of course you have the river. But Alexander and Mille Lacs are the two closest musky lakes to Brainerd. It would be great if we could have another lake or two in the Brainerd area. We definitely have some lakes that could support great musky fisheries!

Aaron

Stratosman, if you are thinking sucker minnows that not it!! But what lure do you think was hot??? lol Shamalex saw the lure so maybe he would tell you!!!

The north end is a good place to fish. I normally see bigger fish up there!! I will troll there during the day time hours and I have never caught anything but a few big northerns.

I found a really good spot on the south side of the lake that i have caught all my fish at. Its right by haystack. Not the sunken island to the south of it though. Theres a spot about the size of a big house or so that comes up to 5 feet and is all rocks and its surrounded by cabbage at about 10 feet. I guess it can be a good crappie spot in the spring. Maybe you guys know the spot.

Do any of you guys try in that little bay that covered with weeds??? The one thats straight west of haystack??? I always see a ton of people fishing there but have never tried it. Any fish in there????

Ok ive said enough!!

Brian

I have pulled some bass out of there but that is all. Any place on Alex you can find rocks you will find fish. We need to stop all this talk - I am getting to anxious for summer. Last night I had all my tackle spread all over the house replacing hooks and praying for warm weather!!

What about Osawanimakee(sp?)? Ihave heard there were some Muskie there. Does anyone ever fish right in Brainerd? Crow Wing Park? I have heard that the Lindner's did a show and fished right downtown. Any truth to that?

Quote:

Are there any other lakes with Muskie in them around Brainerd/Nisswa that produce fish?

Shaminaeu, just up the road from Alexander is a good lake.

I saw that show a couple years ago. They were fishing near the Washington bridge and the railroad bridge. I'd say that's pretty much catchin' them right out the back door. cool.gif

Quote:

I saw that show a couple years ago. They were fishing near the Washington bridge and the railroad bridge. I'd say that's pretty much catchin' them right out the back door.
cool.gif

Very underrated fishing on that stretch of river! I've caught many smallmouth and walleye under the Laurel Street bridge. Just take a pair of waters and head down the bank by the fire station. When the water is low (late summer), you can get out to the middle bridge pillar and set up camp.

There is also a pipe that crosses the river between Laurel and College Drive bridges. It's a good spot for smallies. I was able to wade that entire width of river two years ago.

Just put on some strong line and expect to lose a few lures!

Who needs a boat?

A simple Betts spinner worked well. Nothing too fancy becuse sooner or later it will be snagged.

Weighted tubes also work well. I've had better lck with smaller and medium presentations than large ones - I think it might be because they work better with the current?

Xraps would probably work great in the river also. Only problem is snags. If you don't mind losing a few lures at $5 a pop, well, you're richer than I. I am a big fan of a weightless tube in this situation. Put a swivel 10-18" in front of it to reduce line twist though or at the end of the day you will have problems.

I also like small titanium spinnerbaits. Tried using some of the smaller "crappie" spinnerbaits and had bass ans small northern shredding them apart.

Man, this is killing me reading and thinking about muskies and bronze backs. Went to a boat show today, BIG MISTAKE! Got one all picked out, just need to run it by my wife. "It's got plenty of room for when we have kids". grin.gif Already got to boys so I don't think that line is going to work for this Crestliner. IF anyone here has 20K that they want me to store for them, it will be in my garage. You can come visit it anytime you want to, but not on weekends. tongue.gif

I know what you mean. This talk sucks. Spent all weekend replacing and sharpening hooks. Need to get on that open water!