• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Winni Report 2-2-06 - 2-7-06

A friend and I did one of our yearly guide trips on Winni were we take out 4 guys from a development company. We fished the lake two days before they showed up to find some perch. It was a tough bite to say the least. We ran into Brosdahl on Thursday morning and he was also having slow luck, all week for that matter. But he was a nice guy and we shared info and equipment talk.

We fished shallow and deep, mud, rock, and everything in-between. We never really got a consistent pattern going. We caught fish but not alot of size. Anyways we got the guys around 50 plus nice perch, and few northerns. Then perch where caught on Buckshot Rattle spoons and minnow head. Some on jigs and larvae, and waxies. The big perch came from 25 feet plus of water.

What really saved our butts was the walleyes. We had our best bite in years with almost everyone getting a limit. We caught them all day everyday. Buckshots, and jiggin raps whacked all fished. And a few on deadsticks. They where very active and all over on the camera. In one spot they came through in waves of 2 -4 fish a time. Our biggest was 26 3/4 inches. Released to spawn. We also got some big pout.

Are eyes came in 27 feet around lots of deep water. we where fishing sandy bottom areas with lots of baitfish and small perch moving through.

We also got on some nice panfish action in the area. We caught quite a few trophy 10 inch plus gills. All photo and release fish. Hali droppers and larvae did the trick out deep for them bulls.

Ice is 2 feet plus thick. Couple inches of snow. But there are some naasty drifts so bring a shovel. And there are three main pressure ridges. Tamarack are, Moses bar, and NW side area.

Good Fishing,

Trapper

Great report. Did Bro have an entourage with him or was he by himself? You are right, he is a great guy.

ProTrapper

A slow day for Bro is still better than most days for most people. You do have to understand that Bro is a VERY recognizable person on the ice. While guiding it's hard to help others find fish while still keeping HIS people on fish. What is said might not alwyas be what's happening. wink.gif

Bluegills eh, did you catch those while fishing for perch or did you head up to the north east end towords cutfoot? Blugills are the best!

Bro was by himself. I have seen him in that area before. I have been guiding on Winni for five years. I know what it's like to be reconized out fishing or grouse guiding, but we played it off like we didn't know him. Which he liked. And this was the slowest for perch. For size anyway. Bro was saying the same thing. We would drop our camera down on great spots and there would be tons of samll perch. A jumbo perch to me is 10 plus inches. Bro was solo he was doing some field testing on some Strikemaster augers. Man that 2 stroke is nice. He had it in a 6 inch blade and man that was quiet and cut like butta. Bro also said the mortality is high with people cranking perch from deepwater popping there bladders and throwing them down the hole. They die and this is having an impact. back in the day that was no prob cause all the fish were jumbo. Crank'em slow, or put'em in the bucket.