• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trolling motor wiring question....

ewirz

Question

I plan on putting a Minn Kota PD 55# AP on the front of a Tournament Pro 175. I am toying with the idea of wiring two batteries parallel to extend run time. Anyone have experience with this or advice on the wisdom (or lack of) for this? Thx for the help.

ERW

5 answers to this question

ERW,

This setup works fine. I did it for years and have friends that do it as well.

On a side note, the 55 will work just fine on that boat but if you can afford it, you will be much happier with a 65 pound thrust or bigger on that boat. I have a 1750 Fish Hawk and started out with the 55 and went to a 74 pounder two years later. Just a thought…..

I agree with Giant Jackpot. I have a 55# on my 17' Explorer and wish I had at least a 65 and 74 would be the best I think. If you can afford it go to the 74. May seem like overkill but I have found many times that I wish I had it. High winds and High currents. Also I suggest the auto pilot and even better with the remote that you can run from your wrist, rod or hung on your neck/jacket. Well worth the money if you dont drop it in the drink. Oh by the way a key float on it would be a great idea. Why didnt I think of that sooner? confused.gif

I agree with Giant. I'm looking at the same boat as you, and I'm thinking of going with a 70-80lb motor for the bow. Of course, you're talking a 24v system now, instead of the 12v the 55lb motor runs on. My opinion is to go to the highest thrust you can afford. Unless you're always going to be fishing glass water, my guess is you'll eventually want some more horse to move you around.

John

I really would like to go bigger but don't have the fundage right now. I'll have the same size transom, between the two, I should be fine until I can get something bigger. Thanks for all the advice.

ERW

I have a Trophy 180 that I went the 55ap route. First off, not enough thrust, I will probably upgrade to a 70 or 80 this year.

Also, if you want to wire it 12v in parallel it is best accomplished at the outlet at the bow. All you have to do is move the 24v jumper from pos- neg to pos-pos and add a neg-neg jumper. Hope this helps

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• smurfy
      🤣 so you drove threw Remer then? home of sasquatch!!!!!!!!🤗👌
    • leech~~
      Funny, my wife and I drove by Big Rice on our way to Grand Rapids. I pointed to the launch and said, somewhere there's an old rotting couch in there, two clowns 🤡🤡 on the forum keep joking each other about pissing on. She said gross! Cuz that's what guys talk about on forums! 😆😅🤣
    • smurfy
      i think he moved it down south of remer..........closer to his recliner by big rice lake!!!!!!!!🤣🤗
    • gimruis
      You can still fish Mille Lacs during the closure from July 1-15.  You just can't specifically target a walleye or use live bait.  There's plenty of smallmouth bass and pike in the lake that you can target with artificial lures and you might get lucky with a muskie.   The wind can be an issue out there though.  If that doesn't sound appealing to you, try the Rum River.  There is an access in Kathio State Park that would work well for a kayak.  You could go upstream and downstream from there too.   I think you will need to purchase a daily pass to use that access in the park (it might be like 5 bucks).  I haven't fished there in years but I fish the Rum River further downstream every season and the fishing in there is fantastic during midsummer.  Look for current breaks, seams, and deeper holes.
    • chaffmj
      Sorry I didn't see your post earlier. Glad your place was ok. Lake Country power said they had 20 poles toppled in one area!
    • leech~~
      You still have your trailer and place up there? Maybe you should do some summer rentals of it to help pay the taxes and up keep on it? 👍
    • fins_n'_feathers
      The water is starting to slowly go down. From what I can tell it looks like it’s down about 5-6 inches. The wind was terrible over the weekend though. I’m sure many properties suffered damages with Sundays winds. Things are finally starting to head in the right direction but it’s going to take a very long time for things to get back to even somewhat normal. 
    • Rivergroup
      Stopped at VC last week as well.  Didn't have pizza, but the sandwiches and appetizers we had were good.  The service was very good.  However, that's the first and only time we had been there.
    • delcecchi
      Any other info about VC?   Got kid and and fam coming up.  Been a couple years but really liked it.   Reviews on line still good.   Did Mark just hit on a bad night or has it gone down?   Being on west not a place we go often.
    • Oldehulse06
      Going up to visit family at Mille lacs 4th of July weekend. Given the current fishing restrictions and the fact that I don’t have a boat, does anyone know any good shore/kayak fishing lakes in the Mille lacs area?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.