• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I am sure you guys will have good answers for me so where might I be able to trade in old auger blades for new ones if there are any places around? I have an 8" strikemaster lazer and need new ones. Or is there anyone around that sharpens them if they don't trade them? Hope to get some responses as I am starting to get frustrated with mine. Thanks a lot. Also plan to be on Fish this weekend if anybody wants to get together out there for some BS or maybe catch a couple fish.

Marine General has trade in as does Fishermans Corner I believe. Duluth Saw should be able to sharpen them but call all these places 1st to make sure they have what ya need. Bait Box in Superior also may have them, they used to.

You can send them in to Strikemaster too, and they will send you a new (not recycled) set of blades. The only problem is you'll be without blades for about a week. They do send the new ones out immediately after getting yours. Are your blades just dull, or do you possibly suspect something else? If you have been changing them often (more than once a year) there might be another cause. I know because I just went through this with my Strikemaster and made a trip to Big Lake to get it fixed. JH

Green n gold how was your experience with Strikemasters customer service? I hear good things about them. What was the problem with your auger?

Steve, any word on how the fishings been in the harbour off the airport. I've been seeing some shacks out there.

Outdoor Ran, Steve and I were out there a couple nights ago with no luck. However, we chose to fish closer to the channel break. Most of the other houses are up on the flats. Maybe they are doing better there. I wouldn't think they would keep coming back unless they were at least getting one or two.

Steve, as far as the auger goes, I discovered the pitch on my blade mountings was off. I guess this is common with Strikemasters. What happens is when the blades naturally start to dull, owners (me included) start to push down on the auger as they are drilling. This added torque causes the pitch to slowly get out-of-wack, for lack of a better term. Then its just a snowball effect as the worse it gets, the more you push and in turn, the more the pitch gets off. Eventually, you will be putting so much torque on the blades that they will start to break in half, or fall off (both happened to me). So I repeat to Strikemaster Lazer owners, if you ever have to put any pressure on your auger when you are drilling, STOP!!! First try new blades, if that doesn't work, then have Strikemaster check out your pitch. Usually you can tell it is off if you are going through new blades every couple months.

As far as Strikemaster service is concerned, I can't say enough about them. I brought both mine and my friend's auger (he was having the same problems) to their shop in Big Lake and they fixed them both in about 10 minutes, put new blades on one, and charged me $5 for labor for the whole job! This is the main reason I am still a die hard Strikemaster guy.

Thats what its about, customer service. Lots of good augers out there but they all break down at one time or another. How the company treats you after the sale is what its all about. I havent had to deal with Nilsmaster but a few times and when I did they took care of me too. It sounds like strikemaster stands behind their augers as well. Its good to see that these 2 companies at least value their customers. Lesson learned for the other auger companies I hope.

I have a 1990 mag 111 which i bought new. four or five years ago I bought a lazer auger and im still on the same blades grin.gif also this year the gear from the clutch went bad they sent me a new gear and clutch for 30.00 and it took me about an hour to fix them now a have a new mag111 .I love their help and service. Nels

Yeah, my first set of blades lasted for about 3 years. I suppose it all depends on how many holes you drill in a season.

Jarod I put my new center point blade on my NILSMASTER today and man does it fly now! I think its faster than the old setup without the centerpoint.

Up river tonight only 3 eyes and none over 14". frown.gif

Well, at the risk of helping turn this thread into an "I love my auger" rant, I've got the old Strikemaster XL3000. Just about 10 years old, never had to do anthing but change the plug now and then and run some carb cleaner through the gas. It was one year old and I got it for $150 from a non-motorhead friend who wasn't happy with it.

With 3 hp and the 10-inch auger, it's a heavy mother, but by golly does it go through the ice. Strikemaster made me a great deal on the center-cut auger when they came out with that about six years ago, and that really put the auger over the top. Before then, the two blades had walked around a bit at the start of hole drilling, but the center diamond makes a big difference regardless of what brand it's on. I generally replace the blades at the start of each year using the auger blade exchange for about $15 at the start of each year. Didn't do that this year but they sure don't seem dull. grin.gif

I keep threatening to sell the XL3000. Lot of weight to carry around when you're drilling 50 holes, but my doctor tells me I need to keep getting my exercise, and odds are whatever I got to replace it on my budget wouldn't be nearly as bulletproof.

Of course, now that I've said all this, I'm sure the auger gods will see my bragging as a mandate to make it break down first thing on Burntside later this morning. blush.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Strikemaster service is GREAT, was there today. Called them yesterday about my lazer mag ultra not cutting, they told me to bring it in they would replace with any auger shaft of my choice. Drove down, walked into the service department, told them what was wrong, without any questions, the rep asked me what auger I wanted. even gave me two sets of new blades for it, in exchange for my old ones. Very friendly and pleasant to deal with. How I have a new two blade 9 inch to try on URL tomorrow. hopeing to hit the mother load grin.gif

O

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

yeah they have been good to friend and to me i have picked up blades and motorheads for other seeing my old man lives close to big lake it was easy for me to swing down there when i need to go home.