• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Like to catch some Smallie's and wallie's

Does anyone guide for Smallmouth on Vermillion? Also does the Smallie season open same as walleye someone told me it did. I would be interested in the Northwest part of the lake on the opener. Never been on that body of water and was thinking of trying it for the opener. Thanks

Hey Fin,

We are located on the West End. Give us a look on our web site, and see the my guide page. Give me an e-mail or just call if you have any questions. Be glad to help you. Oh, the bass season does open on opener, but it is not quite yet prime smallie time yet.

Doug

...no it isnt prime time smallie time...but there is some that you can catch in some key deep spots....of course it all depends on what kind of spring we get...who knows the water could warm very rapidly if we go from winter to summer...after this winter...who knows what lies ahead!!!!1

If the weather is considered"normal" for the area, When is the prime time for Big smallies, and when is the best time for #'s in smallmouth. What is the time frame of the nice crappie. We have alittle fexability with when we can schedule our trip. Thanks

Hey Raymond,

Without a doubt, the spring is the best time for numbers of smallmouth. They move shallow and are very easy to catch. You should be able to catch 50+ fish a day depending on how much you are on the water and if you know where to look. The crappies are usually set up pretty well during the same period, but can be a little harder to find depending again on weather, more importantly water temperature, (which is dictated by weather). Give me a call, or send an e-mail and I would be happy to help you any way I can. You should schedule your trip ASAP.

Doug

When you say spring, is that May(opener) till mid June? What is Spring in upper Minnesota? Thanks Again for the info.

usually the first week of june or so for the smallies...crappies can start around opener and go until about the third week of june...they are very easy to catch once they get going..........

For the smallies, I would say from the 3rd week of May through the 15th of June is prime time. I have however seen fish on beds from May 21st until July 6th. Both of those are not typical dates. Smallies are on the bite before they get on the beds.

Doug

hey doug...they just show up on may 21....now how do they know that....anyway....the fish are going to be around whenever you choose to come...we also have some very good lg mouth fishing along with some great pike fishing in the spring...walleyes are a given..

just to add....september is really a good time to fish those bass...you can really get into some monsters on shallow wind blown reefs with some slip bobbers and a good sized minnow....good numbers and great size

Gary,

Well of course they do. The ones that bed under my docks have already called to reserve their spot. They even have their mail forwarded to them ahead of time so it arrives the same day they do!!!!

Gary, Gary, Gary, surely you understand seasonal patterns, and I am sure a quick look at your log book would tell you when to fish certain areas, and they are there, almost like clockwork.

Gary is right about the largemouth. However they usually fire up a little later than the smallies. Water temp is the key, not the calender. Smallmouth spawn at 58 - 62 degree water temps. The largemouth prefer 65-72. Sometimes that can be as early as May 21 or as late as July 6, from my log books.

Doug