• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Best Canadian Fly-In experience...

Thought this might be an interesting discussion. What is the best fly-in outfitter that anyone has experienced? Here are the criteria (feel free to add to this if I leave something out):

Fishing (size/numbers, different species)

Price

Service (friendly people, willing to share info, helpful)

Accomodations (boats, nets, bait, lodging)

Scenic Beauty (picturesque, lots of wildlife around)

I have only done one fly-in trip and it was a blast. I wish I had the money to do it every summer, but being a single guy on a teacher's salary doesn't promote that. Anyway, the outfitter was Due North Outposts near Armstrong, ON. They were very nice, I thought the price was very reasonable, and it was absolutely awesome. Beautiful lake with lots of wildlife (bear and moose). The fishing was great, altough my group didn't catch much of anything big (one walleye over 20" and only one pike over 27" which escaped at boatside ), but there were tons of numbers and always had a fish dinner if we wanted. The lodging was what I expected a fly-in outpost to be - adaquate, but not fancy. All in all it was a great experience and I would recommend it to anyone.

I hope others feel compelled to share their stories.

knobby's out of souix lookout.

great numbers of walleyes with quite a few 25" plus.

the people are great and the service is great. last time i went it was reasonably priced, i have heard it has gone up though.

I have done one fly in and that was to Booi's and I would go back!! It is not cheap but the ppl are great and the fishing was out of this world.I went with an uncle that has done some fly ins in the past and he talks about this one more than any of the others!!!!

I did a fly in fishing trip two summers ago to northwestern ontario. We were the only cabin on the entire lake and it was great. Between six of us for 6 full days of fishing we caught close to 1000 walleyes. The biggest walleye was 25" with most fish being between 17 and 20 inches. It was incredible! We also caught a few northerns and a couple of smallmouth. The cabin was very basic, just somewhere to sleep. Cant wait to go back after I graduate from college.

I am fortunate enough to have been on two fly-ins. The first year we flew out of pickle lake ontario. We went to lowry lake, a smaller shallow lake. Needless to say, the fishing was excellent. When we go there we say wrighting on the wall of the cabin "700 fish" and others of the like. When we read that we thought it was BS, but by the end of the trip it was, "only 700?". The day that I counted I caught 79 fish and that was not the best day. All fish were walleyes and northerns. I caught the biggest walleye 25" on a fly rod in 3 fow.

The lake we were camped on was shallow and didn't have any big northerns, At least we didn't catch them. There was a portage at the outlet of the lake that lead to a river system. It went through a coule of very shallow lakes befor meeting the river. We found a sot between the lakes with the slightest bit of current. There were walleyes stacked in there. All of the sudden they quit biting so I tossed out a big spoon and caught the biggest northern of my life 37".

The next year we went west of lake Nipigon and flew out of Geraldton Ontario. It was less than spectacular.

I think that it kind of has to do with the fishing pressure, the first year we were the first to fish the lake for the season and it wasn't fished the year before. The second year we went later in the year and the lake had been fished for the previous 6-8 weeks.

I went with my dad only both times, I think it was about $1000 per person. The more people you have the less the cost.

I think everyone needs to do a fly-in at some time or another, I am in the process of trying to talk the wife into it.

We had a group of 7 guys go out of Ogoki Frontiers near Armstrong Ontario a couple years back. Fished on Whiteclay lake for a week. We tallied the number of fish that we caught for the week and ended at just over 2100. 25" was the biggest walleye with lots of them up to it. The biggest Pike was 45" and a number more over the 40" mark. The next year the other guys went back again and did over 2500 with the biggest pike topping off at 47" and I am not sure about the walleye. One other group on the lake when we were there but it was a ways away so basically had most of the lake to ourselves. Great experience and hope to do it again some time.

I have been on two fly-ins and they were both through the Bobber Shop out of mankato. I went with some friends and we had the time of our lives. I still think about to this day. Tons of walleyes and a few pike. I would've like to have caught more species but thats just me. It makes me wonder why I live in this sometimes very ugly city. If you haven't done this type of trip make a point to do it before you leave this earth.

Hey Cupper, I also went to Due North. It is the only fly-in I have been on but it was the best week of my life. Great rates, great hosts, great fishing and a great camp.

I was on Redsand....here are a few pics from my trip...3 out of 4 of us caught our biggest pike...

canadapike9mo.jpg

walleye17om.jpg

Those are some awesome fish! Redsand would be the lake I try next if I go again. I was on Whitebirch. Elson said that Redsand is the best for numbers of bigger fish. What time of year did you go?

I'm really enjoying this topic as 3 of my buddies and myself are plannning to do a fly-in. We will all be turning the big 40 in two years and this is what we are planning to do. I know things will probably change a little by then, but I'm getting some good ideas and places to look into from these posts. Thanks guys!

Big Musk411 what lake did you fly into? My dad and uncle did a fly in out of Pickle lake, I would like to fly out of there once, do you have any contact names and #'s for an outfitter out of Pickle? I think they flew into laquie?

It was North Caribou Camps. We flew into Lowrey Lake. We found them at one of the sportsmans shows. Here is the link http://www.northcaribou.com/ . I highly reccomend them. If you go look under the float plane dock on pickle lake before you go there are big pike there.

On another note, for all of you BWCAW enthusists. Canada has a place like the bdubs other than qutico. Woodland Caribou Provincial park. About twice the size of the bdubs with 1/10th the visitors per year. I did a 21 day conoe trip with the YMCA through there from Red Lake to Lake Winnipeg, down the Bloodvien river. We saw three other canoe groups the whole time along with a few fly-in fishermen. Just something to think about.

Cupper, I went the second week of September. Our plane ride to the cabin was the previous groups flight out so we got to talk to them. They said they had great weather(in the 70's) but that the fishing was slow....we were not to excited to hear that. Anyway, the weather turned and we had drizzle, rain, fog and 50's most of the time. The weather sucked but the fish got hungry and we had the best fishing ever.

This is a great topic. My wife had suggested a couple months ago that we do a Canage Fly-in for or 10th Anniversary. How excited was I to hear that!! Since it will be just the two of us would anyone recomend an outpost or should we do the lodge thing? I'd prefer to be remote but I am thinking safety here.

Thanks!!

Hey, has anyone every gone through Kabeelo Lodge? - or know someone who has? I have been on their website lately and they look like a pretty decent operation with reasonable prices.

What are anyone's thoughts on the best time of year to do a fly-in? June, July, Aug., Sept. ???

Pros/Cons of each?

I have been on two trips, one in late june and one in august. We had much better fishing in june that august. That my have been due to other factors that time of year however, the lake, fishing pressure, ect. I remember the bugs being much worse in june though. We were cating fish one after another at dusk, but were forced off by the bugs each night. Also on our june trip, most of the fish were caught very shallow[2-5ft] of course this may also be due in part to the lake and not completely the season. I would go again in june, but if I were going after muskie I would go as lake in the season as they operate.

• 8 months later...

My best fly-in experience was Lincoln lake, with John Theriault(my first fly-in). I have caught bigger fish at other places, but there is nothing like the first time. We cleaned up on walleyes(approx. 500+ for 3 people for 6 days ranging from 1-5 lbs.), and caught some nice pike(20 lb.). I am going to shoal lake lodge this coming summer june 16-24th(any hints/tips, especially for skies would be appreciated.