• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Zippel Bay Resort

Heading up there in 2 weeks, just wondering if anyone has fished here before and also wondering if the fish are biting. Thanks

I fished there last year and did OK but haven't tried it yet this year. The bite continues to be pretty slow. If you are staying at Zippel Bay Resort you won't find 2 nicer people than Nick and Deanna. They knock themselves out for you. Good luck! 1DIRTBALL wink.gif

Cool am going there is weekend all let you know dose any one know if there fish house's are ok Bringing the girlfriend up there for valentins day and It was even her idea!

Hey Grand Dad, Yes, they have nice Fish Houses, they even have Outhouses buy the majority of them. We keep our Permanent up at Zipple bay, and like everyone says, you won't find a decenter group of people. We we're up two weeks ago, and wound up w/ 15 walleyes, 3 sauger, 2 pout, and 1 really nice perch, we we're in 20'ft of water, but I'm sure by now their out in 28-30 plus ft. of water. I had my best luck w/ a 1/8 oz. orange and chartruese fireball jig, w/ glow white/green a close second. We'll be up the 17th-20th, maybe we'll see you up there, good luck, The Bumble

Anybody have any reports for this week? I have a permanent in 26' and wonder if I should bring less minnows like I should have last time and use the extra room for Barley pop!

Myself and three buddies are showing up on Feb 24th for a couple of days. We were up there last year at this time and did really well. My question is, what are they driving out to the houses? With the kinda year we are having I just want to make sure I don't need to bring atv's.It sounds like the bite is good and the beverages are always better. You can always buy bait. We used what ever glowed last year.Is there any better ideas? Any information as far as bait,jigs or approch would be great. Does everyone buy there bait from the resort? Would other bait be better? We are about 7hrs south from there so the choice of bait could be different. Other than that,Maybe we will see some of you up there in Feb.

Dean grin.gif

When going to Zipple I usually just get bait there they are pretty fair for there price. But you could also stop by Log Cabin Bait on Wheelers point road it is a little out of the way but they have good bait and are generious with the quantity. There is also the bait shop in Baudette just west of the Holiday station that is decent. I would stick with the local bait shops because most of their bait is native from the lake and that always helps in my opinion.

Well I just got back from up there this weekend and it stunk I tried every thing I could think of not many fish moved thru and the one's that did huged the bottom I cought 3 eye's the biggest was 14 inchs and one northern that was 34inchs It sounded like some of the other people were haveing a little better luck then me but not by much and every eye I cought had 3 or 4 shiners in ther mouth so I think there is a lot of food right now for them on bait I would stop at a bait shop all the shiners I bought from them died right a way and was stuck useing fatheads.ps we were fishing in 31ft of water green and white glow demoned worked the best for me

4 of us fished Saturday at Zipple. 24 feet. We kept 11 and threw back a few. One was 24" and probably the ugliest Walleye I have ever seen. Its coloration was a dismal gray and when I was helping the fisherman who caught it, I saw it below the ice and told him it was a huge sauger!

Hey Wobbler, we're there alot of houses in the 24ft-28ft area?? We're heading up there fri.-sun., and this time last year we we're in 28ft. of water, and did good, and tried out deeper, 31ft., and end up back in 28ft. It seemed that the deeper mud was'nt as productive as in closer. Any info would be great, Thanks, The Bumble.

Bumble,

Where we were there were not alot of houses around us. Our permanent was in 28' and we were at the end of Main St. just a little north and west of the end of the road. Now we are about 1/2 mile west of there on that last road they made going west. We were one of the furthest houses in that area. There are many, many houses that were further west than us. The creel survey guy checked us and it was the first fish he had seen all day and our total was more than all the houses he checked put together caught or kept. He started east of us and went to every house. Most of the houses he checked reported catching 0. We had 8 in the bucket at that time and threw some back by then. I want to say he talked to 30 groups that morning or so before getting to us. That was at 11am. I will be up there Friday and spending the night and fishing Saturday as well. Colors or lures did not matter. One hole caught 75% of the fish and we had simliar colors and the same lure on other poles with little or no action. Hope it helps.

Wobbler, if their roads are mapped out the same every year, that pretty much sounds like the area we we're in, kind of a transition area, sandy and alittle mud. You may see us up there in that area, It'll be a 16x8 green perm., w/ 2 ford pickups parked there. Stop buy if you want, beer and advice is always free

Sounds good Bumble. I have my Brother-in-Law up so we might swing over and see how fishing is. If you see a maroon Dodge swing over it will be me. I have lots of advice as well and the beer is always cold! Same size house but white.

Im heading up to Zippel bay for my first time to LOW..Leaving tomorrow mourning looking at the weather it looks to be cold..Hopefully it doesnt shut the fish down..Heard the bite isnt too good anyways, maybe with the weather changing the fish will pick up? prolly not..Ive heard the lures/color to bring is green/orange jig heads or gold spoons..Any other info or tips would be very helpful thanks..

This year we have caught them on all colors. Most years gold is the rule but this year we have had better luck with colors that glow. Most fish this year you see on the vexilar will chase no matter what the color and give you a serious look if not bite. The problem is you do not see a lot of fish as in years past. Most fish you catch have their stomachs filled with minnows when you clean them. Most fish we have seen this year are hanging tight to the bottom. We have seen very few suspended fish more than 2 feet off the bottom. If you see suspended fish at Zippel this year more often than not they are tulibees. My other suggestion is get away from the crowds. Be on the outside fringes of crowds. There is no use competing for the same 10 fish everyone else is trying to catch. The fish are really scattered and fishing is poor so it really does not matter where you set up because there is not really a hot spot. When you buy your pass ask the kind lady (Sandy I think) behind the counter what depth were they biting in today and try to find that depth! Other than that there is nothing else I can tell you but when you have a bite don't miss because it might be your last and the only limit you might get for sure is your limit of beer! Good Luck!

Wobbler, was wondering if a guy can still get around with a 4x4 pickup in certain spots. Was wondering if I should bring up the wheeeled fish house or just my portable.

Well, to add to wobblers tid bit, when we brought our Permanent house up last year, it was the 2nd. weekend in Jan., 35-below temp., 50-below wind chill, all weekend, BUT, the sun was out, and of all the times I've been up there, it would of rated as probably one of the best times, 4 of us filled out in one day fishing, and we sorted thru alot of fish, so, I think the key is getting alittle sun lite on the matter, and that helps your chances alot. Glow red, glow green/white, orange/chartruese fireball, and a plain gold hook, take your choice, they always work for us.Minnows, well, somedays emeralds out do everything, others,rainbows,or fat heads. I've always gotten airbags for both minnows seperatly, then keep the emeralds and fatheads apart. The shiners will stay alive much longer, don't know why, but it works!! Good luck, The Bumble

You can get around with a 4X4 that has good tires. Change of plans for me I won't be up there this weekend. Good luck to all of you out there and give me a report!

Wobbler!!!!!I ALREADY PACKED AN EXTRA CASE OF BEER,JUST FOR THE TRIP!!! Oh well, sorry to hear you can't make it. We're still heading up, leaving at midnight, breakfast at 6:00 am at the resturant, then to the lake. I'll write a report when I get back, stay warm!! The Bumble

Bumble,

What is your report? I was thinking you got into that extra case you brought and forgot to post your report.

Well, lets just put it this way, its a good thing you stayed home,6 guys, 2 1/2 days, 2 walleyes, 1 sauger, 2 perch, still realing from throwing everything at them, at about every depth, 30, 22, 18ft. Cold weather???? I don't buy it. I talked to a friend who was up out of Long Point, and they filled out by Sat. afternoon. I still believe the fish migrate from the Pine Island area early,(Dec., early Jan.), up toward Zipple, then to the long point/arneson area, then back towards the river by Mid March, early April. I've been testing this theory the last few years, and believe it to be some what true. I'll find out in a couple weeks, heading up that way again, so, to answer your Question, the bite was lousey !! Hey, thats why they call it fishing, and not catching!!! Let me know if you get out, good luck, The Bumble

Bumble, when are you headed back up? We're heading up to LOW March 9 for long weekend. Always used to go out of Long Point or Babblers, but are going to try out of Zippel this year. We froze our butts at Gunflint last weekend in portables, so "Big Red" (chevyPU) is hauling "The Frig" to LOW for this trip. Hoping to find fish of course, but we'll be satisfied with 45,000 btus and cold beer this trip (keeping standards low you see). If your trip is same weekend, we'll keep an eye out for you.

Howdie Barracuda, well I'll let you know in a day or so, right now I have way too many irons in the fire, and the wife is giving me the eye!! I seen today Dennis Steele is organizing a Sturgeon Fest Weekend the wknd of Apr.21st, I really want to do that, plus Turkey hunting, S.D. border opener, ahhh, have I missed anything!!! shocked.gif, so I think I better do alittle prioritizing!!! I'll get back to you, The Bumble

Bumble,

Sorry to hear yoour lousy report. I am glad I told you to bring lots of beer. I talked to the guy who has his house right next to mine (20feet away) last weekend and they had really great fishing at Zipple. 4 of them caught over 35+ fish each day and limited out easily. They even lost 2 really big walleyes by the hole. They were there to drink beer and play cards and did not fish all that hard and did well. I have some other buddies fishing up there today through the weekend so I will post what I find out. I have had the flu all week so I probably won't get up there this weekend but will be up there for sure next weekend.