• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Crappies fishing - what gives!

notsogoodfisherman

I fished out on Medicine lake a few times over the past 4 weeks or so. I can locate them and see them on a camera but they do not take anything! I've tried magotts, minnows, minnow heads, wax worms and a variety of jigs with no luck. They are stacked thick but do not take any of the bait. Can anyone help me out here?

Last year I could at least catch a few, this year it has been very difficult.

Downsize and use a spring bobber if available. I did well on the crappies out on Medicine a couple weekends ago with a size 10 Marmooska tipped with a single maggot. I would also downsize to 2 pound test line if you haven't already. And always keep the jig moving (quivering). Once that jig stops moving they seem to not want it. So, keep the jig moving ever so slightly and slowly raise the jig away from the crappie as it comes up to feed. Those fish will feed, you just need to try and mimic what they're feeding on, which is micro-organisms.

The spring bobber can help in two ways. One, it acts as a strike indicator. And two, it will help slow down your jigging motion because it absorbs some of the shock and gives the jig a more natural appeal while jigging.

So, I would try downsizing and rigging up a spring bobber. If that doesn't work, then continue to punch holes until you find more aggressive fish. Usually what you can do is hole hop and pick up one or two aggressive fish out of each school/hole. Then they settle down and quit biting. Then just hop to a new hole, etc.

Those Medicine Lake crappies are on one day and off the next. Must be that city water smile.gif

I've picked up a fair number of crappies on Medicine the past week or so. Definitely seems that they want something small. I've pick up a majority of the fish on a #10 or #12 Custom Jigs and Spins Ratso with a eurolarvae. Tonight, they weren't too interested in the Ratso. I switched to a #12 Custom Jigs and Spins Demon tipped with a Berkley Power Maggot.

One thing I noticed tonight is they wanted it glowing or they weren't going to hit it. Like Matt said, I had to hop hole to hole and pick up a few fish at each hole, then I could go back around to the previous holes and get a fish or two more. Also, the spring bobber was key.

Down sizing is good. Also make sure you dont use hand lotion or soap just before you go. I was fishing with my father one night and I could not keep the fish off my line and my dad sitting right next to me could not catch anything. We switched rods, used the same jigs and the same bait. I finally gave him my rod with a minnow I put on, and as soon as he dropped it down to depth of the fish he caught one. He put on a fresh minnow dropped it back down and sat there. I had him reel up and I put a minnow on and you guessed it Fish on. It was like taking your kid fishing. He was putting on hand lotion to keep his hands from drying out while fishing. It is always the little things that you dont think about that can keep you from catching fish. Good luck hope this helps. Oh dont stop and get gas before you go either.

I agree with Matt and Ralph, downsizing is the way to go. I've caught a lot of Crappies on Medicine using a #10 Ratso and Shrimpo. One thing I haven't done is use live bait. I've been able to outfish those who have been using live bait by just using plastics. BTW, a spring bobber is a must! I don't know what I'd do without one.

Thanks guys I appreciate the tips. I was using a spring bobber, it must of been the presentation. I will have to make a stop at the local shop and pick up some new jigs it sounds like. Also I think fishing at a more shallow depth might help, I was at around 40 FOW, fish suspended at 20 feet.

I've been getting them shallower (under 30'). The water is REALLY clear this year and the fish seem kinda nervous, so I try to fish areas that aren't busy. I fished Sunday and the bite was much slower over the 40' water even though there were lots more fish showing. I've been using a #10 Dot(no glow)/waxie. Hanson was saying he's the last guy on earth to try a spring bobber, but I'm still old school with the ice buster bobbers. If you push your ice scoop into the hole once in a while you can sort of simulate the kind of movement Matt's talking about - smooth but not still. For some reason I usually pick up a fish right on or after the drop, so I lift (way up) and drop pretty often.

I haven't been catching them suspended, either. They've been either right on the bottom or a foot or two off in around 28-30 FOW.

Have you been getting the mixed bag that I have? Sunnies perch and crappies. When I get small perch I know it's time to move.

I haven't caught a thing but crappies. I found the perch shallower a few weeks ago.

Last time I was out there I had a similar experience. The crappies were down there, but had no interest in anything I tried. I did notice they weren't suspended as high as I usually fined them and there were a number of perch mixed in. I'm going to have to try down sizing everything and maybe tying on a 1 or 2lb fluorocarbon leader. Thanks for the info Matt.

I was out on Med yesterday and hammered the Crappies. I was in 28' and they were as high as 22'. Buckrattle spoons seemed to do the trick.

Was that during the day, Med Man? I've been fishing them an night and they seem much more finicky.

notsogoodfisherman-

When you mention 40' of water that you are fishing, I have had a terrible time in those holes fishing for crappies on Med this winter.

Yes the fish are there but I've found them to be small and very uncooperative. They have been stacked from 25'-40', just oodles of them.

I have had better luck in the shallower holes and a spring bobber is an absolute necessity. Think small and light with everything like these guys have mentioned. Size 10 Ratso with a eurolarvae has worked for me really well on 2lb P-Line with a spring bobber. Mine happens to be the St. Croix Legend which is about the ultimate in spring bobbers.

Think finesse, think small movements, and pay attention to your flasher, line, and spring bobber. Those fish are biting but you need the light gear to detect them.

I haven't been out there in a week and a half so they may have gotten tight lipped with that cold front. The front affected the fishing on the other lakes I was fishing.

When it first came through, the cold front shut them down for me. I was out Monday night, though, and they were cooperating. Follow Hanson's advice.

Thanks Hanson. I went to Gander last night to pick up some Ratso's and Shrimpo's sizes 8 and 10 in a variety of colors. Right now they are offering 25% off all ice fishing jigs. Great deal.

I think I am going to focus on the north end of the lake in 25 FOW or so... I had good luck last year in a certain spot.

If anyone is heading out on Saturday afternoon-evening on Medicine, drop me a line: chad at 28place dot net.