• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice getting thicker??

iFishMN.YT

Just wondering if this cold weather snap is getting that ice any thicker? Im still hopefull im going to get out on the lakes I want in my car this year but I'm not goin til there is a bunch of cars on most lakes. Whats everyone's opinion on how much more ice were gunna need and is anyone noticing if the ice is getting any thicker? Thanx.

I'm not going to drive on any metro lakes unless we get a week of weather around zero. I can't help but notice when I drill my holes that large chunks of ice come up. This indicates to me that the ice is of degraded quality. Another thing I've noticed is the variability in ice thickness. It's just not worth it for me.

I haven't noticed any chunks of ice. I was on Prior this morning and measued 14". Most of us walked out but I did see three veh. drive out. I think I will wait till after this next cold snap. I like 15 to 16 inches before taking my truck on it.

Saw plenty of vehicles on Prior on Sunday, both driving by and parking. 14" with the top 3" being poor. I'll keep walking for now, though. Good Luck! McGurk

thats funny dakota county has a driving band on the lakes. Scott must be looking for the extra money. Pulling the cars and trucks out of the ice. wonder how much of the fines go to the county. I know the dives make $175-250 per hour. Could be a costly sunfish.

I'm not driving this year at all! I think the ice is really bad this year. You know it is still thin when you can feel your auger punch thru the ice with the bottoms of your feet.

No fish is worthy if losing my new 2005 F150. I can wait till' next year. Plus the walking does me some good and my legs will be in great shape for dog training this spring.

Later,

SportFishin

I haven't noticed any change in thickness on Medicine. It was at about 12 inches last night. I agree that I probably won't be driving out at all this year. No big deal, though.

There were a couple trucks on medicine today parked up nice and close to their huge drop axle ice house. I'm not sure theres 12" of ice.. its close, but 3" is bad.

The ice was screaming when the trucks(small) came across the ice.

It has been a week since I was out and there was between 10" and 16" from the bottom edge of the hole to the top edge of the water measured with my depth finder, a 30' steel tape measure.

I did notice that my auger cuts through the ice faster than it ever has before even though the blades are two years old. I will probably not drive to my fishing spots this year.

dsludge

I agree with whoever said that the ice seems to chunk off instead of shaving off when ya pop a hole this year. My auger blade has gotta be 10 years old and it seems to go thru pretty easy this year, in fact I was about to splurge and buy a new one but figured with this weather ,who needs it. And yes, even with 12-14 inches of ice you can feel you auger bustin that last few inches thru your feet. I'm not saying that I ain't gonna drive out this year cause I probibly will this weekend. But I'll be taking my Civic, not the F150.

P.S.I just got off the lake and there was a symphony of snap, crackle, pop goin on. She's makin ice now!

Had no problems driving out on Tonka in my little Ranger. 14 inches +. Haven't noticed this phenomenon of "chunky" ice at all. Understanding that it's not safe to drive in current areas and areas that have springs is the first step to safe"er" ice driving. I always wait til there's 12 inches to drive the Ranger out onto. If I had a full sized vehicle I would wait for 14" minimum. And to answer your question, the Ice has thickend by 2.5" just this week with the temps not exceeding 32 degrees even during the day. Now that there is snow cover the ice won't stack up as quickly but I'm confident that I'll be pulling my permanant off the lake with my truck in a couple weeks.

---Zdaddy