• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

1 Ton Diesel

Bird100

Hi Everyone.

Well I am going to make my 2nd trip of the year up to URL this weekend. Last time I left the Diesel at home. Wondering with this colder weather if by this weekend there will be enough ice to drive it out on the lake. I know no ice is ever safe, but with these temps at night seems like 6" of ice could be added by this weekend. Enough for a diesel?

If not I will be ATV'ing out of one of the resorts with my 6 year old son. Looks to be cold, but where else would a person want to be.....

Last time up 3 weeks ago out of Hillman's Road, lots of walleye's 10 perch and 3 crappies in 2 evening's of fishing.

We will be on the lake all day both days this weekend, so maybe our luck will be better, I know we will be mobile this weekend.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

Two winters ago I pulled the 8x16ft shanty up with the F250 diesel and although the ice was thick enough I had a horrible time starting the darn thing the morning my father and I left. The windchill was -50 with an actual temp of -25. The truck was plugged in running off the generator, had a charger on the batteries, had a Mr. Heater with plywood around the engine block and after 2 hours no start. Finally after an hour sitting hooked to another truck it fired. As soon as the truck fired a guy with a F350 diesel asked for my help and my father and I fished in his 8x22 ft shanty for three hours until his truck finally fired over.

Had a similar issue last winter with my wifes diesel Excursion on LOW in the sleeper house but luckily it got warmer at midday for the vehicle to fire over.

I have taken this truck to URL the past 3 years and have not had any trouble with starting. The coldest was actual air temp of -34. I forgot to plug it in that night and it started the next morning. I know I was lucky that time, but we are staying at our hunting shack north of URL and I can plug it in if need be. My concern is more with the thickness of the ice then the cold weather. I guess it is not a big deal to bring the wifes expedition, but truck is easier to haul the portable and the rest of the gear.

If the ice is 24" by this weekend then I think it will be O.K.

Did anyone have 1 tons on the ice this last weekend?

I drove my f250 long box 6 liter out this weekend and brother drove his f350 6litre shortbox out... your call, I felt safe. It was -16 Saturday night and -21 Sunday morning at 4 a.m. when I left, truck started on the 1st try both times.... we had between 18 and 20" of ice

Good Luck!

Ken

I drove my F-350 crew cab long bed out pulling my 8x20 hydraulic frame house 2 weeks ago. First place we set up found only 14" of good ice. I wasn't too comfy with that but we stayed there the first night with no problems. Moved the next morning and found 20" of good ice and set up there for a couple of days. I would think you will be fine. I personally wouldn't do a lot of cross country with it as the ice is thinner under the drifts. I will be back up this Wed. to Sun. and will bring the ATV for hole hopping out of my sleeper. Good luck.

Sounds like there have been a few heavier trucks out. I will keep an eye on the temps, and make try and make up my mind.

Looks like hole hopping may be a little tough this weekend due to cold, but a guy has to try. My 6 year old may have a easier time with it than me. Seems that he is fine whatever the temp is. I have never set-up and been on the fish, but I guess that is why they call it fishing. I usually drill 30-50 or so holes within 1000 yards and keep checking holes thoughout the day, then come dusk I set up the house on what I think the best holes will be and see what happens. I know it is crap shoot, but sounds like way out on Hillman's road has been decent, did anyone have any luck out there this weekend?

Sounds like fishing is getting better, Maybe a couple days of some of this cold will turn the fish on.

Thanks for all the input.

Not to discount the size of your vehicle, but a 1-ton diesel doesn't weigh any more than a 3/4 tonwith a diesel. A full-size with a diesel will weigh about the same as a Suburban, maybe less. I would think there is thick enough ice almost everywhere up there. I will not say its safe enough of course.

Also, the biggest concern with a diesel in cold weather is not the engine/block being warm enough. Blcok heaters warm the oil so that it is viscous enough to reach vital parts and lubricate them quickly.

Your biggest concern will be fuel gelling and water in the fuel. If its gonna be well below zero you should use a fuel additive like Diesel Service. You can't trust the quality of "winter diesel" at most gas stations. I also wouldn't buy diesel from anything less than a major chain or a truck stop, someplace that sells alot of diesel and keeps fresh fuel.

My F250 diesel gelled and froze 2 yrs ago and didn't run for 3 days despite being plugged in and adding warmers to the engine. If you allow wax to build up then you will be in for a long thaw out.

\The Diesel Service products are usually found at truck stops and places like Walmart. I kept lots on hand in my truck.

I am just going from past posts that said leave the heavy trucks at home. I am not bragging about the size or weight of the truck, just looking for some suggestions from people who have been up the past couple of weeks. I know the truck is heavier in the front than a suburban, the overall weight may be the same, but I know a diesel engine is heavier than a gas engine. I guess if someone who was up last weekend can tell me what thinkness of ice they expericenced I can come to my own conclusion. From the sounds of it the ice under the drifts can be 12", but elsewhere it can be up to 20", is this correct. No dis-respect to you powerstroke, just look for the ice reports is all.

Thanks

We were out over 8 miles, had 23'' of ice under the house. Lots of snow so you cannot see the old drifts, plenty of it for banking thou. Been cold all week. Good luck with the slabs.

Sorry bird I don't know why I got off on a tangent like that. But seriously, think about getting a fuel additive.

I'll be coming up for slabfest and I'm reading everything I can in this forum.

Thanks for the info Sunnyj. I feel pretty good about 20+ inches of ice with the truck. It will beat last year drilling 100 holes through 40+ inches of ice. Went out and bought a new blade for the auger in anticipation of doing alot of exploring this weekend.

Thanks again.

Sunny, it's those Kamakazi cool.gif secrets of yours that are the best! But nasty in the a.m. Hope you're doing well Jimmy!