• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Weekend Report

winks

Rented a 6-man sleeper from Kelly P on Fri/Sat nights. We were 4.5 miles out of Hillmans and with portables 7 miles out on Hillmans road. 6 guys - 39 crappies, dozen keeper perch and at least a dozen walleyes, biggest being 22". Fishing was better on Friday night than Saturday. 5-8 PM was the most productive time both days but a stray crappie showed up anytime between 7 AM & 11 PM. Plain hooks, #6 pink Genz worm, #6 red glow Fatboy w/crappie minnows worked well but I got a couple crappies on waxies and even a walleye 6 feet off the bottom bit on a waxie.

ALOT of fish were marked on the Vex, coaxed up to 1-2 ft from the bottom but wouldn't bite just look/sniff and swim away. Lots of that on Sat night, when a fish did bite, it wasn't shy. I guess some were hungry and some weren't. One guy swears 2 crappies came down from 4 ft off the bottom to attack his bait. He pulled up both fish from his holes so who am I to argue.

All and all a great trip! As always Kelly's accomodations were great and he pointed us to where the fish were. I guess we can't blame him if the fish don't bite.

The ice was 18-24" and with the temp at -15 both nights I'm sure a little bit more ice got made. I heard the slush under the plowbanks can be treacherous......especially if you park a truck in it overnight.

WINKS--The wife and I were in the house just south of you. We had the same kind of bite, between 5 and 7:30 pm. We did limit out Sat. night. As you mentioned alot of lookers more than takers. Of the 39 how many were caught in the hard house vs. the portables? As always Kelly and Patsy were the best. Patsy handles her little Blazer like a pro breaking a trail for the rest of us. Kelly you gotta make up a mini Vplow for that Blazer. Then we can watch both of you fill the air with snow and ice. One can always tell where Kelly is, just look for the BIG cloud of flying snow, led by a little black spec. grin.gif It is an awsome sight to behold.

Thanks again Kelly and Patsy!! Great time, and Great People!!

We've tried to talk Patsy into a plow but after seeing the shape of our plow trucks she's not all that eager to get a plow for her Jimmy. I mean like, starters, windshields, reverse and heat in the cab are all overrated anyway. grin.gif

Moose, 10 or so fish came from further out and out of the portable. About as many came out of the brown house that was just south of you; Kelly let us use that house too.

Made it up last year in March. Stayed in a sleeper house and had great luck. Hope to make it up this year as well.

What kind of size have you been getting? Last year they were all about 14 inches and fat -- a couple of 15 inchers too. Any 16-18?

Thanks for the reports, sounds great! Making my first ever trip to URL on Sunday with my 5 year old son (I don't know who's more excited him or I grin.gif), staying in a Kelly sleeper. The trip will be awesome regardless, but a fraction of that success would make it unforgettable for my son.

Kelly --

Any wall hangers hitting the ice?

How are the big Northerns doing? My bro-in-law and some of his friends are going to be there this weekend. They are staying in somebody's house -- I have no idea who.

S

A local landed a 26 lb. pike today. A 18 lber also was landed. Phil also said he lost a large one last night. We have had three days of sun, not sure if that had any thing to do with it or not

Quote:

S

We have had three days of sun, not sure if that had any thing to do with it or not

Thats key! I'm on the way! wink.gif