• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

looking for a fishing report from arnesens

I think the group is ready to throw anything at those "elusive eyes" up at good ole Rocky Reef...Rumor has it we may have cleaned out Gander and Cabelas of all their walleye arsenal. I think some of us took out second mortgages to get ready for this weekend. Warn the local bait shops to stock up in Baudette!! UTG! Any encouraging news up there?

Fished among Arnesen's shacks over the weekend. Here's what I've got:

Saturday: Started at 7:30 AM in 14 FOW. Water still muddy but improving. Blue skies and little wind. Caught 4 eyes/sauger, all 12 - 14 inches. All jigging - slow lift, slow descent and a long,long hold. All fish right on the bottom and they would not chase a rising bait. Moved to 20 -22 FOW at 1PM with maybe a harder bottom. Caught 8 eyes, all 14 - 16 inches most between 2 and 4PM. Same deal, bottom fish, no chasers long holds BUT set lines with red, glow or pink hooks took the majority of fish. Best jigs were Salmo darters (gold/orange back), 3" spoons with some glow to them. Bigger spoons outproduced smaller. For me Sunday was a repeat - same weather, about the same location, same action maybe a few more fish but all the same size.

Heard tales of an Arnesen group of 4 pounding the eyes in 9 FOW. Heard tales of a 2 man group doing the same in 17 FOW. Groups in deeper water caught fewer and smaller eyes,but more perch and pout.

All in all it's improving as the water clears.

Good luck. Take what you need and leave the rest but never take the very best - toss those big ones back.