• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tom's Resort is officially sold

Wow........never thought it would happen, but Tom's is no longer. Can't wait to see what the new plans are.

Row houses.... frown.gif Quite a few of them too. Cass will end up the next Whitefish chain... lot's of big (and expensive) cabins going up over the last year... It's tough to find a good "big" fishing lake in Minnesota.... the pleasure boaters and jet skiiers all want big water and they just target the next available lake with land available once the nearer ones are built up. No longer are "fishing" cabins the norm on big water lakes. Progress...........

Good Luck!

Ken

I am afraid that you are right they just keep moving there way north every year. It is a shame to see this happens because they ruin the natural shoreline and then it begins to erode. I am glad that we got our place on Pike Bay and the land will never be sold or developed because it is a national forest property. And those pleasure boaters can't get there cruisers through the channel...Haha sorry we don't want you buzzing around anyways.

matt

I agree with how this is situation is just not good news. Cass is going the way of so many other lakes. Bring on the milfoil and the stunted fish.

Speaking of ruining the shoreline, has anyone here seen the big cabin/house by Knutson Dam? They took down every single tree, shrub, cattail, and blade of grass when they built it and now they mow their lawn right down to the river and the lake. I know for a fact that area is spawning ground for numerous species including pike, walleye, every species of sucker, and also spottail and golden shiners. I know because I fish there in the spring sometimes and you can see them spawning along the shores and in the river.

I don't want to single the owners of that property out but it's a shame that the Forest Service who owns the land surrounding the dam didn't do something there. I also am curious as to what those numerous plastic tubes running down to the river from the house are for...maybe washing machine runoff? Whatever it is that whole property is just a shame, not because the property was obviously expensive and they are very rich, but because it shows just a total lack of respect and knowledge about what is good for the lake and the river. The property is just a prime spot but they made it ugly.

Treble, I am a cherry to this sight as a member. However, I have been watching this forum for several years. I read your post about the property at the dam and had to reply. My grandpa owned that resort for 35 years until his death in 1990. My uncle had it for 5 years and then he died. At that point, it was too much for my aunt to handle. We all live in Illinois and it was just too much. I wish the timing of everything would have waited a good 10-15 years because I would have bought the place and kept it a fishing resort.

I had been going to Cass twice a year from first grade to high school. My dad and uncle would take me and my cousin out of school for a week for opening and we would be back over the fourth for two weeks. I can tell you first hand that around the dam is primo fishing pretty much year round. And it is spawning grounds for many species.

My sisters and I, with our kids started coming back up 4 years ago and I can tell you that Cass Lake is in my blood. Before that it had been 15 years since I was there.

I enjoy reading all of the postings on here, and it is good to see alot of people from the burbs participate. As far as the tubes coming from the river at "The" property, it is for the sprinkler system. We finally went over last summer and met the people, and they are very nice people from N.D.. We were told that the guy who built the first huge house died of cancer as soon as the place was finished, so he did not even get to enjoy the best sunsets on the entire lake.

After almost 40 years, some things have not changed, like Pike Hole. Frank has been there as long as I can remember. I also remember when it was about 1/4 that size. We were amazed when we stopped in there and he was still there after all these years and he remembered all of us. cool.gif

I'll quit rambling for now, just had to reply when I saw Knutson Dam.

Well, I'm glad to see some new faces/names joining in to the chatting.

Unfortunately, all the Cass Lake crazies you guys have been reading for years that kept the conversations interesting have either left or been pushed out.

Thanks for the info on the house/cabin and Knutson. There are numerous "spots" on Cass and that is why we keep coming back. Always a new "spot" to try. But I digress, and I think talking fishing "spots" is what started the bloodshed. And we were just a band of guys aching to be reminded of our favorite lake while chatting.

No more fun and games here now....just serios fishing talk.

And you can take that to the bank!

Geno, I can talk fish with the best of them. I'm used to fishing the rivers here in FIB land, so when I head north it's all good. And just because you know where the "spots" are, doesn't mean everyone can pluck them out of the spot!

I'm not on here to argue, it's just a way of making it through the crappy winter.

It's all good!!

Southern FIB, Northern, or Western? or Central?

They all have good spots. I'm afraid I'll never live long enough to try them out though.

So much water, so little time.

I guess I'd call myself a northern FIB. Originally from Sycamore, have made my way through west and southwest burbs and have settled in Yorkville. My buddy and I hit the Illinois and Rock in early early spring and into the fall,almost winter, you know when the water and air are soooo cold that you can't feel your didgets. Payback comes in the end of Aug with a flyin way up north. It has taken several years on Cass to figure out some things, but I think I've finally turned the corner if you know what I mean.

I was raised in Bellwood and lowered in Elmhurst.

I know all about the sauger on the Illinois, have heard about the cats on the Rock but have never fished either. I'm just getting to the point now where I can go more often. My sister has a place at Woodhaven (S of Dixon), that I hit quite a few times for gills, LMB, and cats with the occassional crappie. Keeps me sane to just sit and watch my bobber-very tough to have a boss you can't see eye to eye with.

But on Cass I forget everything. We start chasing them at 9am, end at 10:30pm, clean until 1am then do it over again the next day. And we love it....I've only missed 4 of the last 30 yrs.

Gene

I was going to post about this too, but Ironuts beat me to the punch. Ironuts, I'm from Sycamore too. Born and raised. I live in Elgin now, but was in Sycamore until I got out of college. First 7 years up at Cass was spent at Call of the North. Part of the time with Everett (sp?), and the rest of the time with Bill. Truly a great place, excellent location with access to both Cass and the Miss, with a bonus sandy beach facing west out on Cass. Not many other places like it. I cut my teeth catching pike and walleyes from the swirling water under the dam too. When the old guys wanted a break from looking for the rock pile out on the big lake, I'd be soaking a jig and minnow next to the dam and pulling them in. Man... I saw a lot of really big fish come out of that water. We always stayed in the small cabins right next to the river. Toughed it out on the cold nights with trips to the outhouse! Before I started going up, my dad (Doug Lamont) and his family would stay in the modern cabins. Lot's of stories from that era too.

Ever since then, we've been at the Pike Hole. But I hope someone still enjoys the fishing on the north side of Knutson dam. Good to hear your picking up the Cass Lake tradition again.

Mark

Wow, it's a small world Mark. I don't remember you, but your dad was my P.E. teacher in grade school. I went to high school with your sister Lori, though she was a year younger. You were correct in the spelling of my gpa. Does yor dad still go to Cass? What time of year do you guys go? You are so correct about fishing on the shore of the river. I can tell you though that sitting in a boat out there is completely different. The current takes it goofy directions while sitting in the middle. There are exceptions though, like when the water is low and they choke off a couple of the gates, then it is decent. I don't know if anyone has been down the river toward Winnie or not, but it used to be alot of fun and awesome scenery. Huge rockies and everything else. I do go to the campground when I'm there and monkey around, though it is nowhere close to being on the otherside. The river looks pretty darn weedy that way, so we have not even attempted heading down that way.

Geno, you need to check out the Rock in Dixon while you are there. There are some nice marble eyes working that area. My buddy caught the biggest walleye that I have seen caught in Ill. last fall down there....28 and fat as could be. Typical day on Cass...up at 7 fish and pound beers until 1 or 2, swim with kids 2 to 6 and drink more beer, fish 6 to 8 and drink more beer, eat, make campfire and drink beer until I drop(usually around midnight), repeat. Somewhere in the middle is carving the fish into fillets!!!

Steve

Well, Steve, sounds like you're not putting in enough hours on the water, but getting more than enough in it, or drinking it...LOL.

Shoot me an email to my hotmail acct : genegodawa at

We're gonna have to get our local group together at least once before we hit Cass in June. Talked about it last year but couldn't git er done. Maybe this year?

Steve M.

Yup. I'm a year younger than Lori. It is a small world indeed. Up until 2 years ago, it was always me, my dad, my uncle, and my grandpa up there. Just the 4 of us for 20 or so years. Always somewhere during the first half of June. After school let out for the summer. When grandpa died, my uncle started another trip somewhere else with his grandson... but my dad and I carry on. I also go up there in September/October to fish muskies too.

Our river trips were always awesome. We'd take 1 or 2 trips each time we were up there. Usually we'd get about as far as the old burnt-out bridge... but never made it to Winnie. Didn't matter though, we'd catch so many Rockies and Pike (and the occasional 'eye) that we'd get tired by the time we got that far. The scenery was incredible. Had a bear swim about 20 yards from our boat one year. Sheared a pin a time or two when the gates were all down back at Knutson. But it was all part of the experience. Too many good times to remember them all. The old clubhouse, the fishhouse, the outhouse, trying to walk across the sluice on the northside without slipping on the moss. Makes me want to go back and visit the old place.

Mark

Gene, is the email address the same as listed on your profile page? If it is, I can shoot one your way. I would love to get together and meet you guys. I met Col Ron last summer by chance hanging out at the north side of Star Island with his wife and daughter. I would love to be on the water more, but have to make time for my little ones(7&4)and some time with the wife and other family. We have a group of 10 and believe it or not, I'm the only guy! Luckily, we met a family from Lincolnshire who has all boys and stays on the otherside of the duplex, so he and I are partners in crime up there.

Mark, sorry man. I still don't remember you, even after taking a peek in the yearbook. 21 years have past, so cut me a little slack will ya? I head up just after the 4th. We should get together sometime and shoot some b.s. about the Call of the North, which by the way, I have the sign to. It will be behind the bar in my basement when I finish it.

Mark and Gene, my email is [email protected]

Gene, I too am a Cub fan! You can keep the Bears though, my gramps got me hooked on the Vikes from a real early age.

Geno,

Long time, no talkie! What's the dillio? Got an interesting email from Clark over at the Shoe. What has happened to all the FM crazies. You and he both spoke of being "pushed off" or leaving. What happened? I have been off the internet for a few weeks, remodeling the ole casa. Wallpaper, paint, furniture etc and have not been on the site for a few. Fill me in, the curiousity is killing me as I don't have a cat! Windy

Windy,

Been off the board awhile, huh?

If you don't know about the since-deleted post discussing "spots", you missed a very humorous chat that even had a tinge of fishing discussion tied to it.

Send me your email address if you want details.

Cass is only 3 1/2 mos away for me. I know you like your July/Aug timeframe, but this year most of our FM Crazies will be up at the same week - Col Ron, Otter, Brian and Beef, MuskyMark, Gowdy, Texan, Ffishman, and maybe Labs4me for a weekend. We are gonna tear the PikeHole a new one!

What was that news blurb I saw - Konerko giving the Pres a jersey? I am so sick of your Palehose having bragging rights in Chi-town. Saw some Cubbie Spring Training footage last night - soon our hopes will be up again.

Gene, good to see you're hanging in here. Since I have been on this forum I have enjoyed everyones input about fishing Cass and the "other activities" also. Good humor is always great providing its kept in a "family" way. Sometimes we were borderline with this. With that said I hope its OK with the administrators if I invite all the original posters back to share their knowledge and experiences with us once again. I hope to see you all back here soon. I have enjoyed all you guys a great deal and look forward to hearing from you once again.

MuskyMark, will you be going to Pike Hole in the fall this year? We'll be there the last week in Aug. and the first in Sept. Maybe we'll see you there for a "beverage" smile.gif

Bob from Utah (ex-Lombardian)!

Alot of people will miss that humor....and the fishing talk.

We had lots of guys with lots of experience. But, they won't be coming back! Family way? I don't think we have crossed that line too many times, maybe a couple with the innuendos, but if that is what kept away the posters, we'll just have to see how many newbies join in now that the core is gone.

Shoot me an email at my hotmail account : genegodawa at....

I must have missed a good thread! It looks like it will be a big gathering at Pike Hole this year. Last year I missed it because we left for home on Monday morning instead of Tuesday morning because of the weather (it was raining and called for T-Storms all day).

We have not locked in our dates for this year yet. We always go up the first or second week of June. I don't think it will be safe to up there while the Texas boys are in town.

So that's what happened. Wondered where you guys were. Just thought you were on the water, slaying 'em, too busy to stop for our gathering.

Vitt, if I remember, aren't you the Cardinal fan?

Drop me an email if you want. Make plans for the week of June 10 and don't worry 'bout those Tejas guys, we'll keep 'em in line even if we have to banish them to the outhouse-but maybe they'll end up going from the outhouse to the penthouse?

Good memory Gene. Yes, I am a big Cards fan. I am worried about those Cubbies. I actually like some of the moves they made in the off-season. The question is, will Dusty let the guys like Pierre run this year?

We might have to come up the same week as everyone else this year. I always worry about mayflies that week though.

Do you guys ever golf when you come up? We usually golf one afternoon (still fish in the morning and evening). We divide up into teams and do a best-shot.

No golfing, just about 12+ hours on the water every day chasing everthing anywhere between Pike Bay and Kitchi ('cept we don't fish by the (Contact US Regarding This Word) at all and not much around Cedar Island).

Haven't golfed much the last few years at home either...love to, but have been able to do more fishing than ever before so I take advantage when I can. Besides, my favorite saying is I play the fastest 100+ in golf!

Used to meet old college fraternity buddies in Myrtle Beach and play 6 rounds on 5 diff courses in 4 days. But I haven't been there in 3 years now either.

Don't worry 'bout my Cubbies unless the pitching kicks in finally. I saw a blurb that the outfielders they gave up compared to the ones they got just about washed on the offensive stats. Used to hate Pierre, now I love him.

Yes, occassionally the mayflies are out then but I think the real risk is 2 weeks later. We have been there once about 7 yrs ago when the sand flies hatched - and that was brutal...never open your mouth going from the harbor to the cabin. Either of those I can handle, but the state bird? Now that's a diff story. Been lucky with not too many skeeters the last few years too. So, maybe we are due for a buggy trip? Just have to spend more time in the PHole then!

• 1 month later...

Claire,

Welcome to the board. Now, what kind of fishing trip are you on with that first post of yours?

Word is Tom's will be developed - no longer a resort.

Don't have contact info yet... Looks like it is already starting to be developed... I would check with some local real estate agents and see what they have going on... I think there is talk of breaking it off into townhome/condos... I know that Tree's has started development and is selling lots...

Beef

The brochures are out. It is called Tom's Harbor. $189,000 gets you a cedar sided manufactured cabin on a lot, with a harbor slip. Lodge and pool from the resort will remain. I think they are looking to have all the cabins match as they don't give the option to buy a lot and do your own cabin.

Good Luck!

Ken

Ken,

Take it out of petty cash and put my name on one, huh?

Labs got it right. The old trailers are getting donated to a boys camp or something like that. I believe the supper club will stay open also.

I remember days were Tom gave us the keys and said lock up when you're done Goombas. crazy.gif

Gonna miss that place. frown.gif