• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

what do you think

blue gill guy

I think a .243 is a good brush gun so long as you dont shoot through brush..I dont think I would take a shot unless it is clear.

There was a similar post awhile ago, do a search for it. The bottom line is....There is NO such thing as a good brush gun. Nothing can shoot through brush and it is only a myth that some can.

The reason people call them "brush" guns is because they are short and easy carry through the thick woods. Also, they are good guns for short range shooting.

My dad had a .444S Marlin for a long time. DIdn't kill deer any better than his new .257 Roberts. As far as deer goes anything considered legal for deer will kill a deer. Buying a bigger gun with provide no more advantage in the brush, in fact your larger round will probably deflect easier since it has the potential to hit an object you wouldn't have hit with a .243.

LIke was said above, a "brush gun" usually is short in length for manuverability and tends to be a caliber that does best for a distance no greater than 100-150 yds. I have a .30-30 and it does everything I said. I also hunt the north woods and rarely have a shot over 60yds.

i bought the gun because i was planning on going to vist my cousins in alaska. i thought about going moose and grizzly hunting. i am buying a 300 weatherby for deer hunting. i was thinking of going hunting for mule deer in south dakota.

If you can shoot that .300 wby well that is the only gun you will ever need to hunt all of alaska's creatures. Most popular guns up here are a .300 win mag and a .338 win mag. That .300 wby will do the job, and give you alot more range than the .444 will.

30-30 won't deflec as much as a .270. yes that round nose 30-30 will deflec but not as much as a .270 Take a look at the bullet. .270 is a point the 30-30 is round. I am not saying the 30-30 won't deflec but it will a bit.

i also have a 6.5x55 that i built ,and a 35 whelen ackley improved i am in the middle of building. but ive always wanted a 300 weatherby ,and i cant get myself to get rid of any of my guns. so im just going to buy one. its in the vangaurd style but i found one with a nice walnut stock for 489 bucks. cool.gif

One word of advice on large caliber rifles, One hit with a small rifle is better than 3 or 4 jerk misses with the big cannons. caj

CAJ you are exactly right. that is why I said if you can shoot it well. the .338 is more of a push than a kick, My father has a .300 wby and it punches not pushes. Gotta have a gun you can shoot well and are not afraid of.

actually i have shot all of theses guns none of them kick that bad. the 444 that i have is more of a push than a good hard wack ,and weatherby rifles dont kick to me. ive shot a 375 remington ultra mag. i meen i shoot a 10 ga browning bps for waterfowl and turkey. i just like big guns.

That BPS 10 for turkeys is a solid push. I hunt turkeys quite a bit, and always thought those guns kicked pretty good. That is, until I shot a Browning BAR .338. That kick was simply incomparable IMO. It was sharp, sudden, and downright violent compared to any 10 or lighter 12ga. 3.5" turkey gun I've ever shot.

Probably something a guy gets used to however and after awhile it doesn't phase him.

Joel

Quote:

30-30 won't deflec as much as a .270. yes that round nose 30-30 will deflec but not as much as a .270 Take a look at the bullet. .270 is a point the 30-30 is round. I am not saying the 30-30 won't deflec but it will a bit.

Not true. Any spinning projectile, when upset by an obstruction such as grass or twigs will destabilize and begine to tumble. Nose shape has little to do with this.

Barrett .50 cal, that'll do the job.....

95_04.jpg

Juuuusttt kidding of course, I was looking at their web site few days ago when I saw this thread....

Quote:

Barrett .50 cal, that'll do the job.....

95_04.jpg

Val I'm guessing you goofed and meant this for the "coyote load" thread didn't you?!?!?!!!! shocked.gifgrin.gifwink.gif

I was just kidding around.....nothing serious.

Gary with that thing I can shoot YOU from HERE......better behave up there un Vermillion.

Lawdog, just because they cost a fortune, but I would really like to try one at long range, which by Army experts can be at 3000 YARDS !!!! Bye, Bye coyotes....