• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Instrument panel removal

Neiko

Question

I have a 99 Silverado and my odometer comes and goes on when ever. My cruise light doesn't come on but it works and my tow/haul indicator does not light up but I am not sure if that works still. Would it be best to take it to the dealer and have him deal with it or could I do it on my own? It has 226K miles on it so they have lasted awhile.

5 answers to this question

Well it sounds like it is a loose wire. Not sure how hard it is to get into the cluster though. Anyone know if it is easy or hard?

They are not that bad to remove but they are not really a do it yourself repairable item. with the exception of replacing burnt out bulbs.

To remove it; remove the big trim panel under the steering wheel. There should be a couple of screws behind it that hold the dash trim pannel in place. once those are out pull lightly on the dash trim panel its just held in by metal clips and should pop off fairly easily. if it doesn't check for more screws you may have missed. There are only for screws that hold the cluster in.

Check with some dealers to see if they'll tell ya where to send the removed unit. In this area (St Louis, MO), I used to send them to a company called Autronics. But, I don't know if there are still around.

Thanks guys. I think I just have some burnt light bulbs and a loose wire so I will see if I can get it done myself first.