• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Good old fashioned decency

Carp-fisher

After scouting a few small west metro lakes yesterday, I left my good old blue and red Mora hand auger at the public access. I didn't discover my blunder until late in the afternoon today. I drove back to the spot and someone had kindly placed my auger by the "no dumping" sign. After reading all the posts about stolen fish houses, equipment, etc....its good to see some decency out there. To whoever you are, Thanks.

It's good to know that there are a few good ones out there isn't it? I had the same thing happen to me out on Cenaiko a few years back and I would still like to re-pay the person who helped me out (and whom ever raised them).

Carp,

That's good to hear of someone doing the right thing. I just hope other's will think before taking something someone left behind; heck, at least leave it where they found it in the hopes that the owner will return.

Maybe mark everything with a permanent marker may help to get your goods back, too. But, concerning the topic, that's great there's that kind of people out there.

Just found out that it was an FM'er that set my auger by the sign. He goes by the FM name of "schr0563". Definitely a decent guy and I'll buy him a beer anytime.

This is great to hear. All too often it seems that everyone is outraged about something, but rarely do you hear them being thankful about anything.

That is very nice to hear. 2 years ago I was out with a friend on Tonka. When we were packing up - I thought he put the new Strikemaster auger in the back - and he thought I did. I discovered this blunder about 10 minutes down the road. I turned back right away and was back to our spot within 20 minutes. The auger was gone. There was only one other group of fishermen by us all day - so I walked over to their house and asked if they had seen it. The answer was "No". They had 2 trucks parked right outside their fishing house - and to this day - I wish I had the guts to ask them to see the inside of their trucks - but what is a guy to do? I didnt want to come off as an a** just in case they really didnt take it - but it certainly didnt vanish into thin air. Anyway, I know how it feels to be on the other end - Maybe if the other guys would have been FMers I wouldnt have had to spend 350.00 the next day to replace the auger.

That is great to hear that people are still decent. I wish someone would have left the forearm stock of my over under where they found it up by Rush City one year. For some reason, I took it off to clean something by the truck and set it on the ground next to the truck. I forgot it and didnt realize it until I was home. I went right back up and it was gone. Never could find a replacement for it and the gun is useless now, replacing it was more than the gun was worth. Good work who ever left your auger for you.

That sucks about the stock. Have you ever found something valuable and wondered what to do with it.? Like a watch in the locker room. You can leave it there, and hope the next guy has some honor. You can leave it with the kid up front... You can leave a note for the guy to call...

All I'm saying is there are options, even to the those with good intentions. In the scenario above I would have left a note. Alot of people arn't so rational. Maybe the solution is to include a do/don't in public school curriculums? I know it sounds sad, but I bet alot of people are confused as to what to do in these situations. In other words sher35393 (sorry if I botched it) did a good thing by leaving the auger there, and the owner was lucky enough to get back to it in time. Maybe a note would have been more of a sure thing? I found a wallet in a Rochester parking lot once. No cars around, so I grabbed it thinking I would get the owners address off the licence and mail it back. Turns out when I got to Mnpls and looked for the licence, no licence or other ID. Had about a hundred bucks in it. I did call the Rochester Police and gave them my phone # in case somebody would call it in lost...never heard a thing...