• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The larvae that the perch are puking up, what is it?

Cheetah

I noticed a bunch of the perch I caught in the SE corner were puking up a lot of little larvae in my ice holes. About 1/2" long, kinda thin. Any idea what it is? It must taste like the euro larvae, since that's the hot bait right now for the perch. I only had one fish puke up a half-digested minnow out of everything I caught.

Hey Cheetah,

I noticed that too. The ones I saw are the same little bugs that you find when you pick a rock up out of the water and look at the bottom of it. Don't know what they turn into though. I only had a couple of perch spit up minnows. How'd you do this weekend?

Yes Jeff is correct, usually more brownish gray in color but there is a winter mayfly larvea hatch on Mille Lacs. I have not seen any perch with it so far this year, but am glad you guys found some. To tell you the truth I have been starting to wonder and get a little worried by the lack of see this. It is the main diet for deep water perch in the winter.

Quote:

mayfly larvae

ya, that's what my dad told me last night.

edit: and they were light brownish color.

When they spit up ones that are relatively whole, USE them for bait. It works pretty well when other things dont. I was hoping that the hatch would not be as big as last year but it sounds like there will be lots of larvae again. I think that makes fishing tougher when they have lots of natural food to eat. Last year we caught a pout that was crammed full of them in March. The perch were down there, but we just couldnt get them to really go. I blame it on all of the food available to them. Not a good sign going into March.

Is there anywhere i can buy some of these mayfly larvae? I am taking my first trip to mille lacs in febuary, and someone told me these things work great for the perch. I have been looking for a place to order them but i can't find anything.

thanks

You might be able to find some 'wigglers'. Not quite the same thing but guys in Wisconsin use them alot in the summer. I have no idea if you can get them in the winter. They are not cheap either. It is easier to catch a fish and then get them out of the stomachs. Most are mush, but there are always a few fresher ones that can be used. Good Luck.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

sometimes portside has them

Im not sure but i think the fish dig or root up the larvae at this time of year.............they wont "hatch" until spring........all the perch we have caught this whole [ice]season have been full of blood worm/and or mayfly larvae.

Speaking of blood worms, has anybody tried that blood worm jig by HT lures? Is that what a blood worm actually looks like?

B Sterling

Chris is correct, these are the larvae that will hatch in May or June. When they hatch and turn into mayflies/fishflies, they also drop eggs, then die. These larvae live in the mud until they hatch, until then, fish will feed on them most of the winter.

Fisherdog

If you are looking for mayfly larvae try Vados bait in blaine----I have bought some in the past and they work great when the bite is tough.

jeff