• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Caught five lakers today. Saw about 10. No real size. Biggest just under 3 lbs, smallest about 10 inches long. The other three were 2 to 2.5. Four were clipped, one unclipped. Caught three on the gold/green slender, one on a No. 7 firetiger green perch Jigging Rap, the other on a No. 11 glow/green Rap. No action on my tipup, tho my two pards had a couple flags but did not hook any fish on them. We were fishing in the same bay north of Dollar Island, near where I had last Sunday's big day.

So, more fish on the ice today, but smaller. That's fine. We'll have laker tonight for supper. Beautiful day out there. Started out a bit below zero under clear skies and no wind as we hit the spot. Sun came up over the trees as we set up and it stayed sunny all day long. Got a bit of a breeze toward 11 a.m. that stuck around all day, but I left the heater off in the shelter for most of the late morning and afternoon. Fished from 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Last fish, a 2 lber, followed the lure up and I sight fished it under the ice for about five minutes. The chunk of cisco fell off the spoon, but the laker still eventually got so worked up it smacked the spoon. That was as I was packing up to leave about 3 p.m. Thought about staying, because I was set up in a nice walleye spot too, and I debated hanging around to see if there was an evening 'eye bite, but watching that laker hit five feet away seemed like a good way to end a good day.

I'm sure my next trips will yield no fish. The laker gods give and then they take. My first four trips of the year yielded two lakers. My next two trips yielded nine. Who knows what's next?

Also, one of Bob the Bartender's crew pulled an 8 lber out today near the narrows between Van Vac and the big bay to the west.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I looked up STFcatfish in my I-bonics dictionary and it means, "dude dangeling a carrot".

Jr and I will be up soon to hit some fishs of the trout varity. Yep. yep, yep, we sure will.

Capt. Blaine and I were up there today, we iced 4 lakers between 10:15 and 12:30. Cisco on the bottom, under a tip-up was working well today, along with white tube jig. Started out the morning with not even a single marked fish, then after two hours of that crap, moved to a new spot. Picked up our four fish, lost a few others, and picked up a 7-lb pout on the tipup. Biggest fish was about a 5 lb. stocker, the others were 3 lb. stocked "eaters". Turned out to be a nice day on the ice after a -16 degree start.

Cashcrews

S.T.: I think the accepted diss for a redhead is "carrot top." grin.gif

Cash: -16? Where did you read that, Yellowknife? I had -1 at the top of Finn Hill in Ely at 6 a.m. Of course, that's 100 feet above the shore of Burntside, so it's all downhill from my house. grin.gif

My digital thermometer in the truck...which is normally very accurate. Between Eagles Nest and Burntside, it varied between -7 and -17. The parking lot at Bside was -16 at 7:15AM.

You missed us at the lot by moments. I pulled in there at 6:59 and pulled out 10 minutes later. Of course, it's not like you'd have had to follow me to get to last Sunday's "secret" spot. You and Capt. Blaine did better in numbers and size per angler than we did today. So maybe I should be asking you about YOUR spot??? grin.gif

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Carrot Top had a mane, you my friend friend have a bristly top suitable to scrub my finger nails you sexy lake trout huntin thang. grin.gif

I think I saw you cruise by us at one point, in an area you may have described to me as a spot that would be worth trying someday.

Uh, uh, uh. . . . I just don't know how to respond to either S.T.'s or cashcrew's posts — and for different reasons! blush.gif

Cashcrews, Im in next weekend i'll email you some details tomorrow. Looking foward to catching some more. Hopefully its like today was smile.gif

IS steve out bombing the other fisherperson with his mighty super sled? Its kinda funny watching him blast around at 40 mph with his hair on fire.

Oh, wait, thats the natural color.

Soundslike a good day Steve!

Steve, good thing we left when we did. Hate to see you skunk us by 5 fish instead of two.

sounds like you had one heck of a week, all i have ever come home with from burntside is disease.....and a headache. grin.gif

Frank your scaring me with that talk! tongue.gif

Quick you also came back with stories to last a lifetime. You cwazy wabbit.

But Chunky, if you'd have stayed around, at least you would have taken home lakers for dinner (insert evil laugh here.) blush.gif

Wade: 40mph??? Huh, I was going at least, um, well, quite a bit faster than 40 when I zipped by Chunky when he was driving his wheeler Sunday. I'd tell you how fast I've had that old 440, but wouldn't want to incriminate myself. But I will say I lost my nerve on that old sled, with the narrow distance between runners not making it especially stable, well before I ran out of throttle. Interstate highway speeds, is what I'm saying! grin.gif