• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How's the open water action around red wing?

Thinking about getting the boat out and making a trip down once the weather moderates a bit. Can you get on the water by Red Wing? Jigs and minnows, cranks or jig and plastics? Any particular colors that might be productive? Thanks!

Tunrevir~

Everts will be open to launch, but I'd definitely wait until things get rid of the chill.

I'd do jigs and plastic to start with. Light heads and ringies work good on shallower water for the waldos and heavier heads with ringies /othe plastics in the deep water with heavier current for the saugs. Maybe a few minnows for tipping if you don't have the confidence in solo plastic. I personally take no minnows when I fish the dams.

Don't forget to take a couple blade baits like sonars along in case the fish want motion and noise.

They had been getting some nice fish, but the numbers were not real high. If we get that 30+ weather back the dams are a nice alternative to hole watching.

Thanks for the info! Any color for the ringers? Am I safe with motor oil/black/blue speckles? Or is it the chartruese and orange this time of year?

Tunrevir~

Chartreuse sparkle would be better in that color for days when chartreuse is working. Natural blue, fire and ice, firecracker, purple/ firetail, purple/chartreuse tail and purple/white tail. Black or purple head seems to do me well.

You have to feel your way thru the colors really. The ones I have mentioned are the ones I have done my best with and see other people doing their best with.