• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Report for 2/3 - 2/5

Bartz

Just got back from Appeldoorn's Sunset Bay. I have to admit I've been coming up for quite a few years and haven't seen this much perch action in a while. 2 of us ended up keeping 40 perch between 9-14.5 inches. The 14.5 was a personal best for me. Released another 40 more. The smallest released was 8 inches. Also released a 20 and a 24" walleye. All in all an excellent time. Used both jigging Rapala's and rattle reels with fat heads and shiners in about 30 feet of water. Hope all of you have the same luck that we did.

Tight Lines

Chad

Hey James Walleye

The 'eyes were caught on a small fire tiger jiggin' Rapala and a Buckshot jig in perch color. They were tipped with a wax worm at the time. I usually don't catch too many walleyes this time of year so I wasn't expecting them to hit on a jig with a waxie. They came through around 2-3pm on Friday. The perch were hitting around 11-4 each day. No walleyes on fatheads or shiners. The perch didn't care what they hit on though. Had great luck with them on shiners, waxies and fatheads.

Im hoping too get up the last weekend of walleye season, i havent been up there on the ice in a couple years. I wouldnt mind getting into that big perch bite. That 30 feet of water you spoke of, was that off of a mudflat?

We were just to the southwest of Doe Island in the SE corner of the lake. You'll see quite a few red Sunset Bay houses and we were in #29. The furthest one to the SW. I don't know what type of bottom it is there though. Looking at the map it looks like it probably is rock/gravel.

Don't go shallower then 30 FOW. We were at off of Sunset Bay too and you need to be in 30-35 feet in order to get anything. We fished hard all weekend and came home with 3 perch. We were in 25 feet and there wasn't anything on the vexilar except a few lonely perch.

Quote:

Don't go shallower then 30 FOW. We were at off of Sunset Bay too and you need to be in 30-35 feet in order to get anything. We fished hard all weekend and came home with 3 perch. We were in 25 feet and there wasn't anything on the vexilar except a few lonely perch.

Out on Graveyard we did ok in the morning at 25', but they shut down by noon. Then had to move to 30' on Banana. Smaller fish though. I may go out of Sunset Bay next weekend after hearing about the bigger perch up there. smile.gif

if guys are finding larvae in the fish bellies that usually implies mud. find the mud and you should find fish. whether they bite or not is another story. My hope is to catch a few that spit up some larvae in decent shape and use them for bait on a small leadhead. has worked in the past. i hate fishing deeper than 25' out there. there are some areas that have mud that are in the 20 to 23' range. i might have to sneak up there this weekend to give it a shot. who knows, maybe they will be there.

We were out in the mud right on a 22-30 break. We had perch on the bottom of the break all day but getting them to bite was another issue. Caught a couple on minnow heads, whole fatheads but nothing would hit waxies. Not much for eyes but when they did come in you could tell because the perch would bolt pretty quick.

Talked with a friend this morning out of Dickie's and the perch were hitting pretty good, thinking about going up later this week.

You guys are right about the depth,,Were out of MTB in 18ft. over rocks and did nothing Sat/pm. Saw perch but real hard to find takers..Saw no eyes. Any one doing good out of Macs??

Dougger222, I am going up with a small group (4) Sat. morning to try for some perch and hopefully a couple of eyes. I will probably head out of Buzzies or Dickies. Hopefully this cold snap doesn't hurt our chances. How deep of water was your buddy catching them?

We were just south of 2 mile out of hunters and encountered some decent perch this recent saturday. Buckshot rattle spoon tipped with a minnow head, jigged aggressivly seemed to be the ticket.

Yetti, I am going out of Hunters on Saturday. Did you have any Eye action when you were out? We are staying in one of there sleepers but would like to find a good spot to set up portables for a night walleye bite.

Thanks for the great report. Did you stay in one of their sleepers? I think I'm coming down with a cold...cough...cough..I may not make it in tomorrow. Unfortunatly I think I am coming down with something. My head feels like a brick. Thanks again for the info.

Went out of fishers sat mor. moved around between 22 and 31 fow, 2 guys and ended up with 15 perch and 4 eyes from 6:30-to 3:30 blue buckshot with waxie seemed to work the best for us...