• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Planning on heading out this afternoon, any reports would be helpful. Last i heard was that they were getting the crappies and gills shallow. Is this still the case? Thanks.

I heard pretty much the same, about in front of twin barns on east rush. Hit or miss though.

2-3-06 Friday..,day bite is great, with not so much at night! Crappies are hitting on red euro larva and minnows, walleye on wizard walkers with fatheads. Depth still seems to be holding at 25+, but with the change in weather tonite, who knows what the heck they will be doing!!!! Ice at 12-14 inches pretty consistent, but as always, be careful. ATVs and sleds are you best bet next to feet! Yes, we know there are a few full size vehicles out there...a few...

From RushPoint Stores website.

Went out yesterday 2-4-06, started at 2:00pm fished a flat from 8' to 20' nothing going on except for alot of small perch and some shiners. Moved out to 32' towards evening for crappies. Didn't start seeing fish on the vexilar until about 6:30. Caught one right away about 12' off the bottom. Many more fish came in at that depth but just looked at my jig/jigs. At one point i tied on 5 different jigs while a fish sat 12' off the bottom but could not get it to bite. I tried everything Blade jigs, demons, ratsos, frostees, rat finkees, small, large, red glow, green glow, plastics, maggots, waxies, and minnows. Nothing seemed to work. I packed up at 7:30pm along with many others. Can't expect much after this cold snap I guess. Sounds like i was in the wrong spot and out at the wrong time of day. Oh well thats fishing. Can't wait until we can drive out. Can't be very mobile when you are walking out. I'll bet you i walked a solid mile out, by myself with a 2 man otter and gear. Thank god someone plowed the road in to CJ's before i left or i may not have made it back in. Man that was alot of work for such poor fishing. I miss my 4 wheeler. Good luck to anyone who goes out.

second panfried's report. we managed to scrape out 13 keeper crappies but it was hard going. lots of lookers not many takers. did'nt do too much moving around (it's cold outside the portable-good for beer bad for people) seemed the smaller fish were hitting the eurolarvae which is a change from a couple of weeks ago. got off the ice around 10 pm and the ride in was a cold mother saw a full sized tahoe parked by the deep hole and had to shake my head in wonder after only seeing 12 inches of ice in some holes we drilled with (2-3 inches of cruddy ice making up part of that).

I know it's tough when it is cold. If you are fishing the community holes, If you don't graph fish move until you do. I have had pretty good fishing out there, even on friday. I have only been out in daylight though, maybe fish are moving up shallower as it gets dark.

Me i've been trying to stay away from the crowds or work the edges. last evening it was hard to find any old holes on the edges secondary to snow. also like to graph in old holes because the ice is a little clearer, but like i said it was cold and we were a not too motivated. Used to fish during the days but the last couple of times out seems like we caught the bigger fish in the 1830-2030 time frame. who knows with the cold though

More from the store:

2-8-06 Ice has been steadily building with the cold weather, trucks and cars are driving all over the lake. Many fishermen report that the ice has a three layer sandwich appearance...ice, shaved ice, and ice again. Most are saying they are sticking to atvs and sleds, and steering clear of the big vehicles because they do not trust it. Pretty steady 17-19"...we have not gone out to check, so use your judgement.

Very nice perch are hitting all over the lake, Mille Lacs size to some of them...and they are hitting on everything from euro larva to fatheads! Crappies are still more of a day bite than night, and seem to also prefer the larva and smaller crappie minnows. Jigs in the red/ orange colors seem to go along with the red larva. Wizard Walkers have been doing very well for the walleye, with bite out by Cigar on the East Side at about 25' and down by Crane around the same...

Thanks for the update. I will be up there Friday and maybe Saturday. My first trip in 6 weeks I think. I will be in search of crappies and gills, but I might do some searching for the perch too. Man it would be nice to drive out instead of hoofing it all the time. I will have to do some checking when I get there on Friday.

I was out there yesterday with tape measure in hand. On west from the North end to south I checked ice and found 13-15"s everywhere. This was bottom of ice to waterline. looked to be a couple inches of white ice on top under the snow.

Quote:

Many fishermen report that the ice has a three layer sandwich appearance...ice, shaved ice, and ice again.

Laminated, for strength smirk.gif!

Bigfife,

Please do some checking that way I will know if I can drive out there grin.gif. Give me call and let me know whats going on out there.

"hooks"

my brother was out last night drove out with small truck from cjs but road was plowed to the deep hole. they caught a couple here and there but from 7-8:30 it was non stop. they were 400 yards to the right of the hole in 30 feet and fish were coming in from 10-15 feet of bottom. i'll be out sat. good luck

Go figure. I went to blue lake last night and had no luck. Had i gone to Rush I'd be eating fresh fish for dinner tonight. I fished that exact spot last sat. Lots of lookers but no biters. Good luck, let me know how you do.

I spent the day out on Rush today. We got out there at 9 am and left at 5 pm. We kept 13 keepers and a couple bluegills also. We had to do a lot of searching for the fish today. We picked up a couple in 25',28',30',and 35'. We finally found consistent action in 39'. We caught perch, bluegills, and crappies at 14-22 feet. The fish were moving a lot, and it was hard to stay on fish. It is hard to get motivated to move when it's cold out. 17 inches of ice in 10 holes that I checked.

was out last night from 5pm to 8:30 pm was pretty slow caught about 15 crappies 8 keepers . 3 of us 30 feet of water.

Bigfife, where abouts were you on the lake (General location)? Were you catching sunnies and crappies together or different areas? Were there any full sized trucks driving out there? I am planning on heading out sunday a.m. Hoping to catch some sunnies and crappies. I'm sure this cold front isn't going to help but it's the only time i can get out. Thanks for any info.

I had my Dad's F150 out there on Friday. There was a tahoe and an F350 also. There was over 17 inches everywhere I checked. I was fishing a deep hole on the north end of the lake. The perch, crappies, and gills were all together. The school was in about 20 feet over 39 fow. I spent atleast 30 days out there last year and I never caught a bluegill until March and that was in 25 fow or something. This year I have caught about 2 dozen out in the deep hole and another couple dozen in 30 fow. For awhile the perch were coming up 8 feet for the bait, so we couldn't even get down to the big school.

Drill a lot of holes and don't fish them until you see 4-6 feet of fish on the electronics. It is usually a waste of time to set up on a couple marks because they are on the move. I always see people heading out there for the night bite, but I always do better in the morning and sporadically throughout the day. Does anybody really get into them after the sun goes down?

Earlier in the year we seemed to get into the larger crappies well after dark. Last couple of times it's really slowed down at night. Looking at maybe mixing things up and trying a early trip. This cold blast made everyone cancel this weekend. hopefully get out next friday (sooner if i can swing it).

Thanks for the info Bigfife. I'll be out early sun. a.m. giving it a try. I used to fish this lake alot 2 years ago and can say that the best crappie fishing was almost always at dark or after dark. Although i have to be honest i never really gave it a try early in the a.m. This has been a very strange year.

did anyone get out last weekend didnt have chance to pop any holes but this weekend i'll be out. seeing if the cold front slowed things way down because we are going to have another cold this weekend

I got out 3 times last weekend. The bite seemed to slow in the areas with more pressure. Just go search for them and they are there. Get away from the crowds too. It took about 60 holes but once we located the fish it was nonstop. Sharp breaks were better than underwater humps. Good luck.

Made it out Sunday a.m. and again Tue a.m. Did very well both times, ounce i found them. Sunday they were suspended 24' down in 36' of water and biting fast. You had to move from hole to hole if you wanted to stay on the bigger fish. I just fished each hole until i started catching little ones or when the perch moved in. Tuesday i found fish in the same spot but they did not seem to be very hungry so i moved into 25' of water and found active fish there. They weren't quite as large but they wre big enough to keep. (9"ers) Ounce agin, i had to hole hop to stay on the bigger fish. Both days i was on the lake by 7 a.m. and off by 10 a.m. The cold front did not seem to have any effect on the fishing at all, so if you can get out i would give it a whirl. Also all my fish were caught with no bait. Just a #8 ratso or a mamooska tipped with a power wiggler. However, the fish were biting very light. Good luck to all who make it out. I will be working unfortunantly. Need some o.t to pay for Snow Goose hunt coming up soon. See YA!!

First time out in the am vs. pm this year. looks like most of the houses were pulled off. second panfried's report as it relates to tactics. kinda fun when you could find the active fish' only thing different seemed to be the size (had to do a lot of culling compared to when we fish into the night). got a little windy later in the am felt like the otter wanted to take off a couple of times. (problem with staying mobile is you don't want to take the time to bank the snow with each move!) thinking about trying it again on sunday if i can scrounge a babysitter

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, is there anyone out there? Is Rush Lake already open water or are all the fish gone? I want to get out there early next week for some late season crappies. How is the ice and bite?

Bigfife,

The fish are gone, I think you caught them all!

"hooks"

Hey Big Fife!

As "Hooks" can attest too, I have NO recent fishing updates to share! Maybe one of these days the three of us should go drill some holes!

Cory Frantzick

Cory,

I would love to do that, but I thought you put your ice fishing gear away and started to polish up the boat grin.gif But if you would like to do that, you know my number, this weekend is free so far and my ussual offer still stands...I'll bring the beverage laugh.gif

"hooks"

I will be out there Wednesday for sure and possibly Tuesday. I just want to know if I will be walking or riding out there. Hooks, Is that your dog in the avatar? The picture and dog look awesome. Cory, I would be in for some fishing. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday are possibilities. It will be open water season the next time I'm back.