• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Any Christmas lake updates?

Just wondering if anyone has been out to Christmas lake for Northerns lately?? Any recomendations on the spots to set up for the Northerns?? is it a hike to get to the right areas...thanks for any help - I will post a update if we get out there.

Have not been out there this year but in the past the small bay to the right of the landing should produce for you. Its a short walk. I never found much for size out there though. Set one line with tipup and sucker minnow and fish another with a jigging rapla or spoon.

I would agree you don't need to walk very far. I go to x-mas for the panfish. Some of the bluegills may go 8-9 inches. The very clear water makes for some really tough conditions. If the northerns in x-mas are anything like square lake near stillwater. They may grow real well eating trout. You may have to double check the regs as to using live minnows. Good luck !!

Minnows are allowed on Christmas. And yes, the northerns can get huge from eating small trout. However, small hammerhandles make up the majority of the population. They can be relentless. On an average day you should be able to catch several fish in a few hours. Simply set tip-ups on the weedline, and wait. I would use Tip-ups because they can sit undisturbed a fair distance from the crowds of people, and this will greatly increase your chances of getting bit. Remember, fishing clear water can be tricky!