• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What a great forum

I would first like to thank everyone for doing such a great job with this forum, professional, informative and fun. It sounds like everyone is actually good friends. I have been reading it for sometime now but only recently joined. I am coming up Sunday 2/5 for a week of fishing, usually it's just weekend trips so I am really looking forward to it. The local businesses are great to work with and always helpful and friendly, without a doubt top notch. If I wanted to sneak away and try another area lake for the day does anyone have any suggestions? How's the fishing and the ice thickness the last few days?

Have a safe day,

Mike

Well Mike it is all going to depend on what you are going to want to fish for. There alot of little lakes around that can provide some great action. The ice thickness yesterday where I drilled was about 22 inches. There are spots on the lake that are going to be a little thinner. I dropped through a slush pocket yesterday and was hung up for a little while so if you are going to be going off of the main path at all I would have someone walk in front of you to nake sure there is no slush. Lake bemidji is going to be a good all around lake for anything you want to fish for. Just go to the groups of houses and get a little distance and you should catch fish. If you would like to go as Far as lake winnie the perch action is unbeatable!!! Let me know if you have any other questions!

I fish Winne and Cut Foot a lot in the summer and 2-3 times each winter and I had fish house on Bemidji while I attended BSU. I would like to try something close to URL just to try someplace else. Anything in the Black Duck or Northome area? If all else fails I would run down to Winnie for the day. Walleye would be great,but I enjoy fishing any species. I am also looking for two sleepers (4 adults & 4 kids) on URL for Saturday 2/11 if anyone has any leads that would be great. I checked with a few people but they are booked.

Have a great day,

Mike

There are a lot of smaller area lakes that can be good winter fishing, but most do not have maintained ice roads, so you almost need a snowmobile and a portable to fish them. Maybe try Lake of the Woods for a day - remember you can't bring walleyes onto Red, though - you will need to leave them somewhere if you go back out on Red.

I second the Lake of the Woods suggestion. You can't beat that lake for action. Scroll down here and you will see a place where you can jump to other lakes. LOW has some good info on where the bite is currently happening. You can drive out or have the resorts take care of you. Borderview is a good one. A good warning on the walleyes though. Don't bring any out on Red.