• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rice Lake

The Donk

Was out on Rice last night, three of us caught only 4 keeper crappies. (12 total) Had to work real hard to get them to bite. Weather related? Anyone else get out somewhere last night and have any results? See ya out there.

Rice was listed (again) in the Minnesota Sportsman I just got, as a December walleye lake in their 2006 month by month "hot spots" article.

I know I'm biased because we have a place on Rice, but between Minn Sportsman and Outdoor News I think it's been a "hot spot" or the the lake of the week about 4 times in the last couple years! I know 2 years ago Minn Sportsman had it as a Top 10 opener lake, and now they list it again. It's only 1500 acres, I think it's a little different than listing Cass, Winnie, Leech or Mille Lacs!

Oh well, expect to see more people out there!

There, I feel better after venting.... smile.gif

Chris

Would you prefer that your lake be terrible fishing? No fish or only stunts? Seriously, I know what you mean. I think that it is because 1)proximity to cities 2)excellent numbers, with good possibility of larger eyes 3)it is relatively easy to work because of size, as opposed to Koronis or the "inland seas" you mentioned. OOPS , now I've gone and done it too shocked.gif.

You know as well as I do it's been published a few more times than it should! Oh well, they can harvest all the bullheads for us!

You bring up a very good point and I feel the same way. The banners these papers run for people to go and attack a lake that "MIGHT" have good fishing is a joke! Yeah Koronis is pretty big and has a lot of walleyes, but Rice is much smaller(1/2 the size) and less structured with fish being more concentrated in some areas.

I'd be much happier if they just gave general reports if any, since they feel the need to fill up pages in the papers. These articles by the big papers do nothing but get the local people upset. There was an article about good pheasant hunting in the Paynesville/Willmar area a couple years back and there was nothing but chaos on the public lands, but thanks to some poor weather, most 612'ers went home and never came back for the 'good' hunting.

I know there is the whole issue of bringing in business to an area and getting people out fishing, but there has to be something said about these guys and their ideas on where the good fishing is.

I love to fish my local lakes and make trips around the state too. But when I am pushed off by herds of people, I get a little frustrated.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      You still have your trailer and place up there? Maybe you should do some summer rentals of it to help pay the taxes and up keep on it? 👍
    • fins_n'_feathers
      The water is starting to slowly go down. From what I can tell it looks like it’s down about 5-6 inches. The wind was terrible over the weekend though. I’m sure many properties suffered damages with Sundays winds. Things are finally starting to head in the right direction but it’s going to take a very long time for things to get back to even somewhat normal. 
    • Rivergroup
      Stopped at VC last week as well.  Didn't have pizza, but the sandwiches and appetizers we had were good.  The service was very good.  However, that's the first and only time we had been there.
    • delcecchi
      Any other info about VC?   Got kid and and fam coming up.  Been a couple years but really liked it.   Reviews on line still good.   Did Mark just hit on a bad night or has it gone down?   Being on west not a place we go often.
    • Oldehulse06
      Going up to visit family at Mille lacs 4th of July weekend. Given the current fishing restrictions and the fact that I don’t have a boat, does anyone know any good shore/kayak fishing lakes in the Mille lacs area?
    • JBMasterAngler
      Spent yesterday afternoon wading the upper croix. Water actually seemed a little low. There was lots of floating grass, so my traditional approach of using a fire tiger jointed rapala was unusable. Tried a whopper plopper for a bit, which avoided floating grass better, but I just didn’t have confidence in using it. So since it seemed like the crayfish outnumbered the rocks, I decided to use a weightless Texas rigged plastic craw. Caught 3 smallies, and a pike.   
    • h8go4s
      Here's the actual water level as of Saturday, 6-25. It has dropped some but still is 4 feet above the rule curve. This is updated daily; it's just too early in the day for Sunday's data to be posted. You can check it yourself here: http://www.lwcb.ca/waterflowdata.html
    • Wanderer
      @chaffmj, never mind.  I decided to take a cruise on up there today.  Had a couple popple tops in the driveway but nothing I couldn’t clear.  Nice to see the area again.
    • BrianF
      Ludlows and Muskego both hit hard.  The Dayton place had a lot of big trees down, not sure of structural damage.  Some say a tornado skipped thru that area.  Looking at the destruction, I could believe it.  I feel bad for those impacted by this storm.   Below are a few snap shots of common sights around the area a day or two after the storm. 
    • Wanderer
      Mike, was there a lot of damage in the Ely area?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.