• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

"On The Trail"

wild bill

Hello, first time on the forum. I wanted to thank Kelly for the great book on his family. A must read for all URL fans.

A quick question for Foster, How will you keep your "Seals" out of the nets???

Thanks Again, Kelly

Foster created, raised and trained them all by himself. I'm sure he'll figure out a way to keep them out of the nets if netting happens. It was another classic tho this year when he convinced those guys from a neighboring state that they had to nail the hole covers down at night to keep the seals from getting in the fishhouse. grin.gifgrin.gif That must have felt really dumb when they found out that there weren't any seals in URL.

That seal story is the funniest @$%& thing ever. We have a bunch of newbies coming up with us in March. Might have to try the seal story on 'em.

If you think a muskrat shooting up your hole in the middle of the night while you are staring down it is heart stopping just think about a "seal". I also read the book on Kelly's family, very interesting.

I still thought the comment about the seals after Buddy went through the ice was funny(granted Buddy's misfortune was not).~ "Good thing one of Fosters clients didn't drive by when Buddy was popping back up from under the ice...they would have thought he was one of the seals and attacked him."

Only on Upper Red. crazy.gif

The book is a true saga about the homestead days and the start of the Petrowske and other families in the Upper Red Lake area. Good book with some good stories and facts/photos about how things used to be in that unforgiving area. I like it when the chips are down, read that book and and you will relize how very easy we have it in this day and age.

And Pikester. My uncle has the copies. He charges $20 for the book. Send me your address and $20 and I'll mail you a copy.

Kelly Petrowske

27194 Steel Bridge Road NE

Waskish, MN 56685

Kelly, Ill grab one from you next weekend, we have a 2 man sleeper rented with you. Let me know if that will work. Thanks

Hey Kelly if possible I would like to pick up a copy also next weekend probably sunday.

Kelly, can I take you up on the offer and send you my $20? I'd love to have that book....

Kelly,

Put my name on one of those books. We will settleup next time up. Have A Great One!! Say hi to Patsy for us.

Kelly's dad, Jim, got me one last year. He would come out to the fishhouse and I would bug him about the history of the area and he told me to read the book. It is good reading and very informative, the pictures are good also. You talk about scrapping out a living, going barefoot during the summer and having to stand in the lake for three days because the bog was on fire...tough days!

Kelly had to leave Sat. left the money up at hillmans if you want to leave the book there i will be back up next weekend. Thanks

Yes I looked for you yesterday and thought maybe the lake ate you. wink.gif I'll leave the book at Hillman's.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow what a great book!! The history and how they lived was a great wake up for me on how good we have it today. I hated to put it down!! Throwing the first outboard motor that was in the area in the lake really got me laughing.........lol Been there.... almost done that.... Thanks Kelly P. Troy Pike grin.gif

I agree. I am about 2/3 of the way through the book and it is hard to put down. Fred and Antonia's life was a constant struggle and reminded me of stories that my parents and grandparents used to tell about the depression. we don't know how good we got it today.

I talked to Chaunce at North Country Food and Fuel. (The new store on the south side of Waskish) They'll keep some copies of "On the Trail" for sale at the store. Save the rest of us a lot of work trying to meet up.