• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Crane Lake Fishing Reports

Crane Lake Fishing Reports - Click Here. Updated.

just wondering what time of year is best for fishing bass and walleye on crane lake. a couple of friends and i have been going to fish myrtle lake the past few years in late june, and have had good years and some bad. we decided to try crane this year but would like to know what time of year would have the best fishing. thanks for your help/suggestions.

Bigfish, other people have asked questions about Crane in years past and have gotten little response. It's not that no one wants to share, but I think most of the people go to Kab. or Nam. and they can give info on those bodies of water.

If you usually went in June to Myrtle, I'd do the same for Crane. Our family has a cabin on Crane. I'd say I do better in June and October than the other months, but like you said on Myrtle, some years it's good and sometimes it's bad. From my experience talking to some people, I think most groups that go through a guide or resort on Crane really end up fishing in Sand Point and Namakan and they just stay on Crane. I have caught some smallies in the Gorge and sometimes in the Narrows on the way to Sand Point. Walleyes are hit and miss. A lot of people will hit the Gorge and I believe people try the mouth of the Echo River----(I think that's the name--it comes out near Nelson's) early in the year.

Sorry I'm not more of a help to you. Crane is a great place and it's a nice place to relax and have a good time. But if I want to catch a lot of fish I usually take the canoe and hit a lot of the smaller lakes in the area, or I go to Rainy or Lake of the Woods. Good luck!

I fish Crane alot, but not as much the last 2 years , had busy summers .As far as the best time of year it's a hit and miss deal, but you will always catch something . I have some favorite spots that I usually do good at if they aren't bitting I move onto Sand Point or Little Vermillion . I catch more Walleye in Crane and Little Vermillion and more bass in Sand Point and seems like crappies bite the best in the fall in Little vermillion. I would definately try Crane and connecting lakes .

• 3 weeks later...

Loucks

are you going to fishing just Crane or will you be going into Sandpoint, Namakan, Little Vermillion . and are you familiar with the lakes up there ? I'll give you some spot I have good luck at If I know what lake you plan to fish on the most

• 2 weeks later...

knowing some of the guys ill be fishing with, we'll cover TONS of water up there. I assume that i will stay in crane/sandpoint, so if you have any honey holes there ill take the advice. thanks

Hey Guys,

The gorge in Crane is the best spot for Walleyes in late May early June. Three buddies of mine along with myself are going up the weekend after opener. We could not make last year, but we are going this year. For some reason we have not found the bigger Northerns. I think the biggest every year we have been fishing the lakes up there has been about 6lbs. Anybody have any info on where the bigger Northern Pike are in late May.

For Walleye I've had the best luck in the following spots in Crane . On the West shore at the South end by the old "coffee Ground " resort. Brown cabins with woodsy deck railing and an old gas pump in front, the corner is rocky and depths change a lot , work the corner . Go up the west shore line to a green double stall boat house . fish 100 yards South of the boat house to 25yards North of the boat house . And then try Wolf point in the North West area of the lake start shallow and follow the point out to deeper water . and Government Bay ( bay on the Nortern edge of Nelsons resort) is worth a try but go way in where it is shallow. In little Vermillion try the "s" curve area , where it takes an s shaped curve , there will cabins on the Canadian side . Then go down to the island on the U.S. side the right front corner as viewed as you are driving to it has a steep drop off real close to the island that usually is a good spot, if not go to the area even with the back of the island and head toward to U.S. shore toward a rocky cliff shore and work the area between the island and shore . In Sand Point try close in by the Island at the entry to Grassy Bay. most people stay out a ways from the island but I've had good luck going close in . In Namaken There is an area on The U.S. side South and East of Gull island its a rocky area with a couple of rock markers that is worth a try . I only fish trolling with a minnow and gold spinner and have had good luck at these places . spend a short time at each if they don't produce there is plenty of water to discover. Of course my best spot I can't tell you but you'll have good luck without knowing it . Have fun fishing.

I've only fished Crane four times but always have caught limits of 15-17" Walleye in the gorge a few weeks after opener. The secret has always been LEECHES!!! We fished next to 4-5 other boats one year at the mouth of the gorge near the falls and caught 100-150 Walleye (released of course) in a day between two of us. The other boats were getting skunked and were all using minnows. Use a split shot 18" above a plain red hook and a leech. Minnows never caught much but LARGE leeches (brought up from the Cities) worked fabulously.

• 5 weeks later...

Anybody have any suggestions for nicer northerns in the Crane, Sandpoint, Little Vermilion areas for the weekend after opener. Just catch and release and looking for a few hints.

Thanks,

Musky999

• 2 weeks later...

Well our trip is set for June 8-11 and we will be staying at a private cabin that you have to boat to. There will be about 16 guys going up, some of them aren't real intrested in fishing for walleyes so if anyone can tell me:

1. Are there muskies in Crane?

2. Where can you catch large Pike?

3 (this one is for me cause i will be fishing for 'eyes) what is the best presentation/bait for eyes?

4. Having never fished there, are there any other things i need to know about this body of water?

thanks in advance for your response.

loucks, two years ago i see a decent muskie caught in the gorge but don't think there are many numbers. northerns 6lbs is the biggest i can get a hold of up there, we catch most walleyes casting the shorelines for bass and northerns, always to big too keep but fun to catch.

I usually don't go up to crane untill later in the summer, but if i went up early, i would try for northerns in northwest bay, the back part, the opening is to the left of the beach. It is pretty shallow so i think it would be warmer than the rest of the lake. I don't know if it will work but i think it would be worth a try. Good luck.

I've always used lindy rigs w/minnows on Crane and had good success, am thinking about trying advice from a previous post and experiment with some leeches this year too. However, has anyone had any success with soft baits and if so could you tell the brand? I'm thinking of picking up some Northland Slurpies and see how they work.

I'm in Central WI.and have used the Slurpies and Gulp Minnows and Gulp Smelt for the Walleyes this spring with GREAT sucess,I'll also be using the same in June while staying at Crane Lak.

Thanks bobmusky, that's what I needed to hear. I always love an excuse to do more shopping. wink.gif

Any suggestions for this weekend on Crane, Sand Point, Namaken, and Little Vermilion. Looking for some eyes, smallies, and northerns.

Thanks

I've fished Crane pretty much my whole life, which at 29 years old isn't too long, but long enough to know the lakes really well. My family had a cabin up there for about 12 years, and my dad had been going up there since he was a baby. Back in the day, my Grandparents used to stay on My Island for a month at a time with my Dad and his bros. Grandpa would drive in to Virginia for work each day then back up to camp at night. Anyway, with 50+ years of fishing knowledge on the lake, myself, dad, or Grandpa never has caught a muskie. Tons of 12+ lb Northern, but never a muskie. My Grandpa caught a 25lb Northern while fishing from shore on Patsmith Island many years ago. Most of the big Northern that we would catch would be by accident while fishing for walleye at 30'+ of water. I've seen a lot of 15-20 lb northern brought into the boat this way. As to how/where to intentionally go for the big pike, not sure! I would hit the rock piles in the big water and not so much the weed beds in the shallows. That's just my two scents. As far as walleye presentation, I agree with the posts before mine. Lindy's with minnows/leechs (depending on temp of water). I also love to use plain lead head jigs. It's an old La Croix secret that has worked well for me in Crane/Namakan too. No paint, no eyes, just plain unpainted 1/2 oz. to 3/4 oz lead jigs. I could go on for hours. The thing about Crane/SP/NAM is that there are spots you could nail the eye's that nobody has ever fished before. I have a couple holes that I alwyas catch fish in, no matter what time of year, that I have never ever seen another boat at before. Troll the shorelines and you'll pick up fish. Hit the reefs and you'll pick-up fish. Just find the depth and presentation they want, and your in! smile.gif Sounds easy, doesn't it? LOL!

Johnny Namakan, I'm just starting to fish Crane, Sand Point, and Namakan, and you sound like you could be very helpful!!! Did you go to school in Virginia?

Yeah, I did. Go Blue Devils!!! smile.gif Crane/SP/Nam are lakes that I feel confident when I hit the water. I work and play on Vermilion now (for the past 10 years) and I don't have near the confidence I do up north. My Dad was pretty much raised up there so when came time to raise his kids he took us up there. I remember in Junior High I would spend almost the entire summer up there. I would go fishing every night. My Dad would let me and my brother take the boat out by oursleves when we were about 10-12 years old. We'd come back (sometimes towed and sometimes the old man had to hunt us down) with a stringer of fish everytime. I really love that area and wish I could spend more time up there. My brother felt the same way and last year a cabin came up for sale (1 of 2 on the whole lake) and he bought it. So now I can get up there more often. smile.gif If you have any questions I'll do my best to help, and I can always give you my brothers fishing report. He makes the trip from East Bethel to Crane every single weekend!

Johnny Namakan, does your name start with a "B", and is your brother's cabin in East Bay?

Timber...You are correct his last name starts with a B and I am his brother with the cabin in East Bay. I know that he will not be on the forum today, he will be at the resort on Vermilion helping my mom. If you would like any info I would be more than happy to help.

Grizzly16, small world. I'm your neighbor, two doors to the west. We met last summer-------------and a while ago in class! Like any good fisherman, I'm always trying to find another place to find walleyes!

Timber that would put your last name starting with a "J", I was wondering who would know my brother and where my cabin was. This weekend I will finally be trying to fish canada again, it has been a few years but my wife and i are getting our canandian licenses and have allready gotten the RABC permit. You will also notice that the fiberglass boat and little fishing boat are gone, the wife finally let me get rid of the cities/vermiion boat and buy a big crestliner. Good luck fishing and we'll see ya this summer.

I've always used a Mepps Spinner for Northerns, smallies, large mouth.

No Bucktail! #3 Gold, silver, red and white, Orange

DO NOT! count on local bait shops for crawlers and leeches.

We have got up there several times, to only be turned away with NO bait.

bring yours with!

good sucess with holo-graphic rattlin raps in blue or silver and black trolling maybe 20-30ft off the weed line

• The topic was unlocked