• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

??? on tonneau covers

backlash 1

Question

I have a Ford F 150 that I would like to put a cover on. I am having a hard time with spending $400. for an Access roll up cover. Is it worth it, does it save on gas mileage? Only reason i'm looking for one is when I go on a trip , to hide my stuff, and maybe save a little on mileage. What do you guys use and how much should I spend?

28 answers to this question

I don't have a tonneau cover on my truck because I have a topper, but my dad has one on his truck and he loves it. It saves on gas but not too much. The main reason he likes his so much is one of the reasons you mentioned. When you take a trip its well worth the money to have all your gear covered so you don't lose anything. Not a whole lot of information for ya but hopefully it helps.

I have a regular tonneau and I really wish I had the roll up. More secure, dosen't flap as much with snow/ice and I think they look better. I have heard that they do have problems rolling up with the the snow and ice on them. Sometimes I wish I had a topper too though. Maybe I need two pickups??

I've got the access roll up cover, love it.

Definately worth the extra $$$$ IMO.

I think the mileage gains are negligible

I work at Lundeen Ford in Annandale as detailer. I like the cover but its kinda hard to roll up with ice and snow. But just take a snow pro or a broom and sweep of the cover and it should work fine.

hey backlash if your f150 is a 2004-05 then i have a pace edwards aluminum rolling cover that i took off mine. they sell for like $800 but i'd like to get less then half of that for it.

I've had two trucks with the Access Rollup Cover. I LOVE IT! Haven't had any problems with them either. No problem rolling it up in winter since I usually brush the snow off first. I don't think any roll up cover would roll up with snow on it.

I just put an access cover on my F150 and it is great. I have had other tonneau covers in the past and they were junk compared to this one. I pondered the $400, but what the heck it is only money, just go to work and make some more.

I have had the Access brand tonneau on my last three trucks. To me the tonneau style topper is more versatile if you use your truck as a truck. For about ten years of owning Access toppers I have not had a problem. Be sure to read the instructions on tightening and loosening the tension. It will help in making it ride smoother.

Another vote for the Access cover. They are GREAT!!! I havehad the same one on my last 3 trucks and still going. IT is pretty unbelievable that they can fit more than 1 truck inthis day and age... They are worh every penny IMHO.

And another vote for the Access cover. I have one on my 96 F-150 and wouldn’t be without it. I can roll it up when I use the truck to haul wood and such things, or have it covered up when things such as my fishing gear are in there. Someday when I get my F-250 (dreaming), it will have one put on right away also. I have had no problem with snow and ice. With the cover being black, it only takes a little sun to melt er off.

I have a 05 s-crew f-150 and I spent about 400.00 on the Access cover and I LOVE IT. It may have added 1 or 2 mpg...maybe. I have no problems rolling it up in the winter, just make sure to brush the snow and ice off first.

I think its worth shopping around..prices can be very different from one place to the next. A buddy of mine bought the same cover and it was about 100.00 cheaper. You can also save some cash by installing it yourself. I had the shop put mine on but I helped install my friends and it was simple...

Good luck in your search.

I read an article in Popular Mechanics or Car & Driver that said the mileage thing is a myth. They said the people that design trucks put a great deal of thought into how the cab is designed to keep air from smacking into the tailgate.

Time to stir the pot a little bit! I have an access cover on my F-150 and I will agree, it is an excellent investment. Keeps everything dry when I am hauling stuff under it...however within seconds I can roll it up and hall the big and tall stuff too. I've even used their customer service and they are second to none.

However......if I were to do it over again, I would give the "Truxedo" brand tonneau cover a look. My father has one and it just seems to fit that much nicer and has a better seal. You can't go wrong with either one, I'd just look at the Truxedo cover also.

Later

Steve

Unless they have greatly improved the Truxedo, it is a terrible product. The velcro doesn't last very long. My dad had one on his F150 for a year and all it liked to do is flop around in the wind. The access cover is best. I have one on my F150 and that led my dad to trash his truxedo and get an access cover.

Love mine. Bought it for camping and fishing so nothing would fly out, and when on vacation and use it to store things, its kind of hidden. Had mine for four years and its still tight and velcrow holds well. Just make sure its always tight and clamped down. Take care off it and it will last. I think the ones you see that are flopping around on trucks were the ones who over look making sure its tightened down and locked in back.

Thanks for the input. I value all of your opinons, and I believe there is a clear favorite here.

i fond this interesting too! i plan to trade trucks in the near future. i have had a topper on my last two, and want something a little more versital, and didn't want to spend a $1000 + on a new topper either!

I have owned two access covers, they work fine but I think after 2-3-4 years the velcro gets wore out or maybe just dirty and it doesn't grip like new and will flap in high wind. I tried a new one called agricover and it seems to work as well and the other thing I like about it is you have to open the tailgate to release it from the locking thingy. On the access cover it had a push down tab thru the top of the cover so if someone knew that they could still open it even when the tailgate was locked. It was also at least $100 bucks cheaper and seems to be the same quality. I got it at Berts Truck Equiptment in Morrhead. Hope this helps.

The newer Access Rollup's lock on both sides, so you have to open the tailgate and turn the lever in the middle to open. There's no hidden button any longer. And, my velrco's holds just fine after 4 years on this one.

I don’t know how often you (all posters) drive on gravel or dirt roads?

I hope you do if you are on this website grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I have noticed that even the hard top tonneau covers end up being one big dust collection system. Does this “Access Cover” have the same issues??

i even have that problem with a topper. seems some of the cause is from the gap between the tail gate and the bottom of the box.

They do sell a self-adhesive rubber seal to help minimize that "air leak" between the box and tailgate. I just keep forgetting to install mine during summertime.

I am sure you will like it.

I have had one that was put on 2 different trucks, 1 after another, and had just under a quarter of a million miles on it, and it worked flawlessly.

I now have one on my '05 F-150. Love it. As for for dust on gravel roads, I think there must be a negative pressure in the box, because there is a ton of dust that comes in from the underneath the front of the box. I think I will put the seals around the tailgate, and then have a sprayed-on liner applied. This should help a lot.

KJ

Another vote for the access... I've had mine now for just about 5 years and haven't had any problems with it....

It's one of my favorite pickup accessories...

marine_man

Agricover makes Access covers so that is why they are similar. Made right in Jamestown ND USA. I have been using an Access since 2002 but haven't ever had one for more than two years. I had one but it got wrecked in an accident. I have a friend that has also had a truxedo since 2002 and it has held up very well. I would be will to say probably better than an access. They also have a much nicer latching system than access although access has improved with there new covers. I really don't think you can go wrong with either one.