• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Houseboat 1st timer

A bunch of my family (Dad, uncles, cousins) are renting a houseboat on Rainy Lake (Rainy Lake Houseboats) the first week in June. I have never fished these waters and am pretty clueless about the lake. We are going to be on the boat for about 5-6 days towing fishing boats w/ 40HP motors. I am wondering if we will be able to get to Kabetogama. Like I said, I don't know the lake(s) very well. Can you go down through Black Bay and get into Kabetogama through Gold Portage with the houseboat? Or, would we be better off docking the HB in Black Bay and taking the fishing boats down to Kab for day trips? Right now I am just looking at a map of the internet so I can't tell if Gold Portage is really a portage or not. If it is a real portage, I have answered my own question.

Any advice will be appreciated. Please take it easy on me regarding the portage question. I will be relying on better maps and info as we get closer to the date.

D

Diesel D, Gold Portage is a portage. No you will not be able to access Kabetogama with either the houseboat or the smaller boats. Have a good trip and next time hit Kabetogama. Good Luck Fishkab

Thanks for the info Kab. I guess we will hang around Rainy.

Like I said, I don't know the lakes up there.

D

Diesel D , I am pretty sure Kettle Falls Hotel has a portage for the smaller boats , I've seen their sling style trailer last time I was there. Then kab is just down the narrows from there. Not sure on how big of a boat the sling holds . I think Kettle Falls Hotels has some parking around back for house boats but I think that might only be accessed by Namaken ? Might be worth checking into .

Yeah there is a message in the Contact us deal. Apparently you shouldn't edit your messages? Perhaps it will rectify itself? Well anyhow Diesel the whole thing was that you can get to Kab via Kettle Falls. There is a portage there that you can pay to have your small boats brought up to Namakan. Then you could boat about 15 miles to Kab. So ona dn so forth. I would say your best off planning on Kab for the next trip (you are going to spend a lot of time running).

Bman

Enids & BMAN,

Thanks for the info. I think I will take your advice and try to hit Kab on the next trip. Kettle Falls is quite a ways away. We will be haulin' 4 17ft fishing boats behind the HB so I am guessing we will not be able to motor too fast. We would end up wasting quite a bit of time and $$ getting there and then getting back within 6 days.

Thanks again for the info guys.

This site has a lot of great members who answer a ton of questions. I like how it works!!!!

D

Enids Hubby,

Without giving you address out, where abouts are you in BP? I grew up there. I lived off of Newton and around 75th.

D

Diesel

I'm a few blocks North of North Hennepin Community College. Lived here since '97. I'm originally an Iron Ranger . If you Grew up here you might not recongnize Brooklyn park now, it is being built up like crazy . My neighborhood was a farm feild 10 years ago . I also lived in BP for a few years in '84 and '85 right next to 694 on the South side of it and West of Zane a few blocks in an apt complex

Hope you have a good time up North.

Yeah, I know. It is not the same. I still get in there a bit as the In-Laws have a place just north of 610. When I was a kid, there were tons of potato farms (Tater Days). Just a couple farmers left to sell out now.

D

I would forget Kabby for this trip. If I were you I would be thinking about heading north to Canada into Bear Pass and on to BaseLine, Red Pine Narrows and Red Gut Bay. The walleye fishing is excellent in early June and the smallmouth are staging off of the rock piles. You will need a remote access permit from Canadian immigration to cross the border without going through customs. The US side of Rainy can be a little tough fishing in the early part of the year. Post on the Rainy index and ask Fishmister to point you in the right direction.

Enids Hubby,

Another BP Kabetogama fan here. I must not live too far from you. I'm up around Louisiana and 92nd. Have a two week Kabetogama trip planned for the first two weeks of July and am chomping at the bit already. Will be at Moosehorn.

Kab Dreamin

Howdy neighbor! I'm on Hampshire and 91st. Trail . I walk my 2 dogs by your house all the time in the summer. Don't worry I pick up after them . I wonder why it is all the Brooklyn Park People like to fish , must be all the retention ponds around here make us think of lakes.

Down Deep,

You must be crazy...yes Canada is good, but Kab is one of the best early season fisheries in Minnesota. May and June are truely the best months for consistant GOOD walleye fishing.

Mid summer Kab can be tougher depending on weather, but the reefs and structure Kab has provides great habitat all year-round. DON'T say Kab isn't good in the spring if you don't fish it...

Yes Red Gut Bay, and the north bays for Rainy are excellent early season walleye grounds, but don't for get the extra time, money, and difficult access needed to get into those areas...

I take offense coming onto a Kabetogama forum and ripping the area down for early season fishing...maybe you need more time or assistance finding some spots on kab.

Kab Kid

just needed to vent after reading that post...

Kab Kid, well put, maybe the fellas like to try and get accross border, so they can brag that they made it. Of course if you have a DWI you cant cross, a felony from 20 years ago, you can"t cross, can't bring meat accross, can't bring live minnows or leeches accross, only so much liquor, only so many cigs or tobbaco, only can only bring certain items back, and the list goes on.

Now you have to be cleared by MN customs for a remote entry back in to the US. You need a remote pass from Canada as well as a Canadaian License, as well as receipts for any live bait if you try to fish both sides of Rainy.

Down Deep should have advised the guy to take Canada Fishing and border crossing 101. Oh well Kab Kid we can spend all our time on the water, rather than spending time at the border agents getting permits and etc.

guts

Kab Kid

The guy was asking about getting to Kabby from Black Bay. I was giving the guy a suggestion for him to consider and referred him to the Rainy index. Isn't sharing information what FM is all about? There was not one word in my post that "ripped" Kabby. And Guts I was suprised to see you jump on this as you usually stick to providing good info. Crossing the border is not very difficult and Canada has much to offer in fishing opportunites.

So make nice guys.

You can get the small boats over the dam at Kettle falls but it is still 15 miles down to Kab and why bother. You will waste a lot of time and money. The fishing in Rainy is great. I haven't done a house boat in years but memories are still super. I think you will have a great time.