• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I hit the ice with harvey lee, danj, and the head baseball coach at Bethany College yesterday morning. We worked a shallow, soft-bottom flat area adjacent to a breakline. We fished from about 7:30-11:30am. The wind hindered our productivity a bit, but we still managed to hole hop and pick up some crappies and sunfish. Fished anywhere from 7-11 feet of water, with most of the emphasis on that 9-10 foot range. All the crappies were caught came through suspended about 4-5 feet below the ice. A good majority of the fish were tight-lipped, but got about 20-25 crappies to bite in the hour or two after sunrise, as well as a couple straglers towards midday. The sunfish were all relating to the bottom and they were also very tight-lipped and in a negative state. We watched several sunfish swim up to he jig (using an underwater camera) and they wanted nothing to do with it. And when they decided to bite, a spring bobber was crucial.

The cold and wind seemed to shut them down a little. We marked a lot of fish so the fish are still holding shallow, but the activity level definitely took a hit. Today should be a better day with the increase temps. Tomorrow we're going to see another cold front move in, which will probably put those fish in a similar mood as yesterday.

I caught all of my crappies on a size 8 pink/white Ratso without any bait. I believe danj and harvey lee used a combination of minnows and maggots to entice their crappies to bite.

One thing I did notice was that the sunfish that we did catch were larger in size on average. At least in relation to recent weeks.

Here's a pic of danj with a crappie...

DanJohnsonCrappie.JPG

Hopefully the forecast will prove to be true, and we'll get a week of colder weather. Ice conditions were still OK, ranging anywhere from 10-12 inches (not all clear ice though), but we could use more ice smile.gif

Enjoy the weekend!

Nice report Matt! Good to see the shallow pattern is still holding. I'm headed out in 45 minutes to give it a go in shallow water. Gotta make up for my last outing! frown.gif I'll report back later tonight on what did or didn't happen.

Just wanted to say it was very fun to watch Matt and Harvey Lee coax those panfish to bite. The NW wind was gusting to 20 mph that day. I didn't expect much.

As always, the fish I was holding was actually bigger than it looked on the digital....I think Matt shrunk it somehow.

Dan: Matt probably shrunk you crappie,but the times I catch those buggers he is always away from the camera so he cant take a picture.The way I have it figured is he shrinks yours,doesnt take mine and that way his look like the biggest. wink.gif

Matt,

Got a little chuckle out of you talking about the spring bobber. My wife was dogging me today for using the spring bobber but I was kicking her butt. Sometimes with the light hit you just have to have the spring on.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.