• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

East Twin

I go up to my cabin all the time in the summer(greatest place in the world) and I was wondering if anyone knew if East Twin was stocked with more walleye yet, because I know the DNR was saying they wanted to bring them back to life. Also, if anyone knows of any good summer jobs relating to fishing in the Nisswa area for a college student, because that would make for the best summer yet.

Jake

East Twin hasn't been stocked since the early 90s to my knowledge. Probably still the odd 'eye there, but not in fishable numbers.

As for jobs in fishing, check Fish Tech on Lake Hubert. They usually offer summer positions for fishing instructors, I believe.

-a friend called Toad

Thanks, I will look into that. There is nothing like fishing the brainerd area lakes. I have heard of a few places down here in Iowa on the river, but other than that if anyone has any suggestions for fishing around Des Moines I would like to hear of them. The one good thing is school gets out the day before season opener so I get to head straight up.

Jake

NEXTGENERATION,

I believe Camp Lincoln has discontinued the Fish Tech program. This is unfortunate, because I worked up there from the summers of 01-03 as a camp fish counselor and it was a great experience. Every day we had the opportunity to explore numerous lakes within a 30 mile radius, not to mention enjoy great fishing on Lake Hubert. You might want to check with the camp director (Sam Cote) about another position. They might still need someone to be the main camp fishing coordinator, in which case you would be taking out a big pontoon boat filled with campers who want a chance to ply the waters. Or you could apply for a different position at the camp. Just give them a call and see what they have to offer. Good luck.

Jim

Thanks for all of the information. I will make a few calls. Can't wait for some open water... well actually open water season.

Jake

NextGeneration,

I can probably give you some ideas where to fish if I know what you are targeting and if you have a boat or will be fishing from shore. I live about 45 mins north of Des Moines in Boone and have either fished or know someone that has fished most of the rivers and lakes around central iowa.

On thing for certain, fishing in iowa can't compare to the fishing around brainerd. Let me know what your after and how your going to be fishing and I'll give you some places to try.

Mike

One of my buddies says he is going to bring his boat down soon and he is more of a bass fisherman, but I am into walleye and pike as well so any information will help out a lot thanks.

Jake

Best bet for walleyes close to des moines is the des moines river. The scott street (Contact US Regarding This Word) right there in des moines produces walleyes and some pike. Just north of town you can fish the tailwaters of Saylorville, we have a lowhead roller (Contact US Regarding This Word) here outside of boone that is good for walleye and a couple miles north is another by the town of fraser that produces both walleyes and pike. All of these places can be fished from the bank or by wading.

If you have a boat you can try the main lake at Saylorville, from what I have heard a good place is off the cherry glen rec. area. Big Creek is another lake just north of des moines that has walleyes and a few muskie in it. For you bass fishing buddie try Lake Ahquabi which is by Indianola, just south of des moines.

I would suggest that you got to wal-mart and pick up a sportsmans atlas. Has most of the lakes in iowa listed in it along with a map of the lake. You could also go to this website iowaoutdoors.org there is usually some good info on there. Didn't know hoow far you wanted to drive so the places I've listed are all within an hour of des moines.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Mike

The saylorville tailwaters and scott street (Contact US Regarding This Word) are usually open year round. With the weather we have had this year all of them are open now, will depend on the weather the next week or so as to if they stay open. I have a friend that had his boat in the river below saylorville last week and caught several small eyes. You won't have any docks at any of the landings this time of year.

Most of the time you can be open water fishing in this state by the middle of march from des moines south. Lots of years I have been catching crappies before the 1st of april and always fishing the rivers for eyes by the first week of two of march.

Mike

If you are looking for some action and are willing to travel a couple of hours S.E. of Des Moines go to Lake Rathbun. There are nice walleye and excellent crappie fishing. It is not uncommon to pull in 15"+ crappie all day long. I was pulling them in through the ice in December 15+ but the ice went away fast. The walleye action is good in the summer and if you can find the bass they are very healthy as the lake is loaded with shiners for bait fish. Just a thought for you.